DC Adventures: Universe is here!

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Re: DC Adventures: Universe is here!

Postby greycrusader » Mon May 13, 2013 7:22 am

Yes that is exactly right.
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Mon May 13, 2013 10:34 am

...But I don't get any Mole Men...? I see how it is around here... :shock:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044091/

Stigger
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Stigger » Mon May 13, 2013 11:51 am

Man, that's just rude... I guess they just don't think you'll notice with that whole poor eyesight issue you got going on.

hermes
Henchman
Henchman

Postby hermes » Mon May 13, 2013 6:28 pm

Given that the DC Adventures: Universe book has a foreword by writer extraordinaire Marv Wolfman, I feel compelled to pay homage to the other half (or third if you count Romeo Tanghal, who did almost all of the inking) of the brilliant team that made the New Teen Titans one of my favourite comics growing up...and the only comic to which I have ever had an actual subscription, brown paper envelopes and all!

So, without further ado, straight from this past weekend's Ottawa Comiccon 2013, I give you my personal favourite comic book artist: George Perez! :D

Needless to say, I was thrilled to have a chance to meet him. The man is not only a great artist, he is also wickedly fast, extremely friendly, and never, ever stops smiling. You have got to love someone who still enjoys what they do after 40 years in the business.

Note: Another decade or so, with my beard a little whiter and my head a little balder, and I think I may just have a new career as a George Perez impersonator. 8)

Hermes/Glenn Hall

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Mon May 13, 2013 6:52 pm

hermes wrote:So, without further ado, straight from this past weekend's Ottawa Comiccon 2013, I give you my personal favourite comic book artist: George Perez! :D

Of the dozens of comic book artists whose work I've enjoyed, Pérez is my favorite, too. I'd be just a little bit jealous, except that I think I can give you a run for your money as a George Pérez impersonator... Minus any hint of artistic talent... :roll:

RobertReaper
Henchman
Henchman

Postby RobertReaper » Mon May 13, 2013 7:15 pm

JonL wrote:
Mr Mole wrote:
JonL wrote:Maybe someday we'll see a Marvel M&M game, but not anytime soon.

Until that day, we have a lot of the same people doing pretty much the same thing they'd be doing for an official product in the Roll Call forum... With everything except Marvel's logo on the cover. :mrgreen:

That's very true. And there are some GREAT write-ups in the Roll Call forum.

I'm in the process of trying to track down all the different Marvel builds and place them all on one thread. (a very hard task) At the moment I have over a thousand builds.

Sorta an UNOFFICIAL Marvel RPG.
"They're finny and funny and oh so delish, they're joyful and jolly JOKER FISH!"

hermes
Henchman
Henchman

Postby hermes » Wed May 15, 2013 7:19 pm

Mr Mole wrote:Of the dozens of comic book artists whose work I've enjoyed, Pérez is my favorite, too. I'd be just a little bit jealous, except that I think I can give you a run for your money as a George Pérez impersonator... Minus any hint of artistic talent... :roll:

Ha! It's nice to know I'm in good company then. Hair is overrated anyway. :)

As for the artistic talent, as much as I still love to draw for fun when I have the time, George makes a lot of professionals look like hacks, let alone an actual hack like me, so I'm with you on that front too.

Hermes/Glenn Hall

Samson
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Samson » Mon May 20, 2013 8:34 pm

hermes wrote:Given that the DC Adventures: Universe book has a foreword by writer extraordinaire Marv Wolfman, I feel compelled to pay homage to the other half (or third if you count Romeo Tanghal, who did almost all of the inking) of the brilliant team that made the New Teen Titans one of my favourite comics growing up...and the only comic to which I have ever had an actual subscription, brown paper envelopes and all!

So, without further ado, straight from this past weekend's Ottawa Comiccon 2013, I give you my personal favourite comic book artist: George Perez! :D

Needless to say, I was thrilled to have a chance to meet him. The man is not only a great artist, he is also wickedly fast, extremely friendly, and never, ever stops smiling. You have got to love someone who still enjoys what they do after 40 years in the business.

Note: Another decade or so, with my beard a little whiter and my head a little balder, and I think I may just have a new career as a George Perez impersonator. 8)

Hermes/Glenn Hall

He is hands down, my favorite for all time as well. I have to admit, I'm pretty cheap, but I would pay big bucks for GP to do a profile art pic of my main character Samson. I've been a been a fan of his since the mid to late 70's.
"This is me, yo, right here." - Wallace, The Wire: Episode 12

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Postby Foreshadow » Mon May 27, 2013 8:27 am

I love the general design philosophy in the book.

Super-boy prime has a paragraph: "this statblock represents Prime after he as been exposed to yellow sun radiation for a significant time, but while he is still operating within numerically definable parameters, such as during his second fight against Earth-0's Superboy, or immediately after being pushed through a red sun and cycling downward in his energy reserves as he's fighting Kal-L and Kal-El. Much past this point, it's no longer useful to try and define his abilities with actual numbers."

Really, it looks basically like the only real numbers modified would be his strength and stamina (perhaps?), and I suppose some of the ranks of his powers like his speed and energy blast ranks, but not powers like his Quickness since those seem almost set.

But the chart goes up to 30 and yes you can work out the math. I get the idea is to make it easy to eyeball the values so the ultimate max that would have been placed on this character is a 30 Strength as the chart goes up to that point, but his lifting strength is 36 (and you must do a little math to figure that out) so really there might be a point past which it is no longer useful to define his abilities but the write up-as given hasn't even reached that point so thus you can adjust upward quite easily.

In fact, you could pop a few PL on him, bump up his Strength and Stamina and a few ranks accordingly with little effort so the statement that there is no point in doing so as it would be 'no longer useful' seems silly to say. Perhaps if it were past 30 but really even then the math still functions.

If there is an 'ultimate limit' it is the fact DC 40 has been selected as 'near impossible' and really the chart should extend to 45 as 'impossible', though I will say I really wish the official chart was shifted up by 5 so that the 'impossible' result was DC 50, and 'near impossible' is 45.

Knowing that it helps gather a point past which more bonus really isn't useful, and super-boy prime doesn't remotely reach that for skills.

When it comes to damage, like his strength that might be the case of reach this limit. If you have a 24 strength, and Steve's logic is you add 11 to that number to get your ultimate damage potential (5 for crit, 5 for power attack and 1 for effort, or is it 2 for effort? and therefore add 12. Either way, its like +11 or 12 you add to whatever number you see. So 24 + 11 = 35 and then add the base 15 to the DC for damage and you get DC 50. Imagine that.

Now, DC 50 for damage saves seems just a number as its the number you need to save successfully. There is a limit for this too, as whatever DC you hit if your highest toughness save is 10 or 15 off then you are either KO instantly or staggered or whatever is the case. So if I hit someone with DC 50 and they can only ultimately hit DC 40 with their toughness and if you had +20 toughness and roll a 20 then that is what you'd get, a DC 50 would (in one hit) lay you out. Who has 20 toughness? a few guys like Grundy and a couple have a bit more while a few more have slightly less such as Superman who have an 18.

All that means is if superman is hit by prime by one hit, not even if Superman rolls a 20 can he survive without some result like being staggered.

I suppose if you take other characters stats into account a 24 damage is 'a point of no return' as higher than that seems pointless as you reached the point most if not all listed characters in the book will buckle if beat on enough by Prime.

At least that is why I figure statements like that are made in the book. If I made an errors in math point them out if you want but the general idea seems sound.

Anyways, the point is, if you were going to build a guy like Galactus, who in Marvel terms, seems similar then a 24 strength (at most) would seem "appropriate", and a rank of like 26 to 28 Cosmic Power, with no more needed than rank 30 (much like Monarch has a 27 blast). To me, Monarch and Super-boy Prime seem much like the world eater in function.

That then gives you an idea that 'cosmic' types like elders of the universe, guys like the In-Betweener, Galactus, and what not all fall with power ranks and abilities that range from 20 to 30, if you stat them by not simply slapping a PL X on them and that means 'when Galactus is in his hungry mode' and not at the peak of his cosmic prowess when he would rightly be a PL X. Galactus is the same type of character you give stats for when he is approachable and slap a PL X on at other times, but an entity like Death or Eternity are much like true PL X characters.

At least this is the sense I get from reading the DC heroes and villains and universe books

Goldar
Disciple
Disciple

Postby Goldar » Mon May 27, 2013 12:23 pm

Foreshadow wrote: Super-boy prime has a paragraph: "this statblock represents Prime after he as been exposed to yellow sun radiation for a significant time, but while he is still operating within numerically definable parameters, such as during his second fight against Earth-0's Superboy, or immediately after being pushed through a red sun and cycling downward in his energy reserves as he's fighting Kal-L and Kal-El. Much past this point, it's no longer useful to try and define his abilities with actual numbers."

Really, it looks basically like the only real numbers modified would be his strength and stamina (perhaps?), and I suppose some of the ranks of his powers like his speed and energy blast ranks, but not powers like his Quickness since those seem almost set.

But the chart goes up to 30 and yes you can work out the math. I get the idea is to make it easy to eyeball the values so the ultimate max that would have been placed on this character is a 30 Strength as the chart goes up to that point, but his lifting strength is 36 (and you must do a little math to figure that out) so really there might be a point past which it is no longer useful to define his abilities but the write up-as given hasn't even reached that point so thus you can adjust upward quite easily.

In fact, you could pop a few PL on him, bump up his Strength and Stamina and a few ranks accordingly with little effort so the statement that there is no point in doing so as it would be 'no longer useful' seems silly to say. Perhaps if it were past 30 but really even then the math still functions.

All that means is if superman is hit by prime by one hit, not even if Superman rolls a 20 can he survive without some result like being staggered.

Anyways, the point is, if you were going to build a guy like Galactus, who in Marvel terms, seems similar then a 24 strength (at most) would seem "appropriate", and a rank of like 26 to 28 Cosmic Power, with no more needed than rank 30 (much like Monarch has a 27 blast). To me, Monarch and Super-boy Prime seem much like the world eater in function.

At least this is the sense I get from reading the DC heroes and villains and universe books

Hey there, Foreshadow.

I like your interpretation/explanation of the STR, STA/abilities above 20 and up to 30. I also agree with you, because, as you mentioned, the chart does go up to that point, so why no characters listed with abilities between 20-30?

I asked a question about PLX in another thread where that was the topic, but of course, no one saw fit to answer. I asked if PLX meant above 20, above 25 or above 30 in ability, since we rarely saw anyone with stats above 20. I was unsure of the PLX designation. Your post helped to clarify. Like you, I take it to mean above 30, where, while it could still be quantifiable, is so high, that most choose to go with PLX. But characters with STR, STA and other abilities between 20-30 should be listed as such. At least that's how I feel and what I do in my world.

I also agree with you that (normal) Galactus has STR of about 24 with cosmic powers at about 26 rank. While I have just started working on my Galactus and some others, I have Galactus STR at 24 (after working out some other top-tier Marvel characters who are below Galactus but between 17-23), in order that everyone is placed in their correct level. I am not creating any PLX characters, who, as you mentioned, would be like Death in all her various incarnations, Mephisto, Eternity, Infinity, etc.

The interesting thing I have found is that while DC by far has the characters who are physically stronger than the vast majority of Marvel characters, we have seen very few DC characters with a STR over 20. I have over 5 so far in my Marvel list.

konate
Bystander
Bystander

Postby konate » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:10 pm

Why no Atlantis?

JonL
M&M Developer
M&M Developer

Postby JonL » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:14 pm

konate wrote:Why no Atlantis?

Wow. Good question! I guess because no one noticed it was missing, unfortunately. It should certainly be in there. Sorry about that.
Best regards,

Jon Leitheusser
M&M Line Developer
DC Adventures Line Developer
That's all I got.

konate
Bystander
Bystander

Postby konate » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:10 pm

Poor Aquaman; the Rodney Dangerfield of comics.

JonL
M&M Developer
M&M Developer

Postby JonL » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:18 pm

konate wrote:Poor Aquaman; the Rodney Dangerfield of comics.

No kidding! And I love Aquaman!
Best regards,

Jon Leitheusser
M&M Line Developer
DC Adventures Line Developer
That's all I got.

greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Postby greycrusader » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:02 pm

At least we did get Aquaman, his consort Mera, Black Manta, Ocean Master, and even the DCU's seagoing King Arthur's evil duplicate, Barracuda of the Crime Syndicate of Amerika.

In hindsight, there are obviously areas of the DCU that didn't get the attention they arguably deserved: there are missing Legion of Super-Heroes members (Ferro Lad, anyone?), the Great Ten are represented, but the Super Young Team of Japan is absent, along with most of the Global Guardians (whose history goes back thirty years in comics), and many of the pre-new 52 Suicide Squad characters.

There were only four books, everybody. The DCU goes back to the 1930s, so covering as much as was done was a tall order in itself.

All my best.
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

Return to “DC Adventures”