DC Adventures: Universe is here!

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
BCDX97
Bystander
Bystander

Re: DC Adventures: Universe is here!

Postby BCDX97 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:26 pm

Shadowchaser wrote:
Yeah. Two of my friends and Vigilance Press contributors worked on the Marvel game as well as the DC Adventures books. We're all really sad to see the Marvel game go. There was a lot of love poured into those books, and it shows. Even if it's not the kinda system you like to play, it's an amazingly well-produced set of books.

I'm very happy the DC Adventures books have all come together, and proud that I was able to contribute even in a small way to them. I will enjoy my DCA books for years to come.

Yeah, it is a big bummer. I didn't love the MHR system, but I did think there was a lot of cool stuff in those books. I wondered about their release schedule when it was first announced - it seemed crazily overly optimistic - but I never thought it would be two books (plus 4 PDFs) and done.

The Green Ronin schedule of one DC book per year seems to have worked out better! I know that is not what they originally planned, but I love the DCA books I have and am eagerly awaiting the fourth and final book to complete my set. I guess we can still hold out hope that one day we might get something more, but if not, we did get some pretty great product, and every thing solicited came out. Well, I shouldn't say that, I don't want to jinx the printed copy of the Universe book!

RobertReaper
Henchman
Henchman

Postby RobertReaper » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:08 am

Yeah, it would be great if DC picks it back up for some Adventure Story Arc Books, like running your PC's through the Blackest Night or helping the worlds heroes during Zero Hour.

It is sad that Marvel didn't make it, but who knows, maybe GR will one day be able to pick up a contract from them and we could do a proper Marvel VS DC with M&M rules!
"They're finny and funny and oh so delish, they're joyful and jolly JOKER FISH!"

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:38 am

RobertReaper wrote:It is sad that Marvel didn't make it, but who knows, maybe GR will one day be able to pick up a contract from them and we could do a proper Marvel VS DC with M&M rules!

While I'd love to see Marvel go M&M and see more DC products, I dread the inevitable escalation of Batman vs Captain America and Superman vs Thor arguments. :|

RobertReaper
Henchman
Henchman

Postby RobertReaper » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:56 am

Well, just like all the characters in the H&V books, you built them based on what they can do. The end fight should be accurate after that.

Oh, and Superman has fought Thor and Batman has fought Captain America. Those results are already known.
"They're finny and funny and oh so delish, they're joyful and jolly JOKER FISH!"

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:20 pm

RobertReaper wrote:Well, just like all the characters in the H&V books, you built them based on what they can do. The end fight should be accurate after that.

Oh, and Superman has fought Thor and Batman has fought Captain America. Those results are already known.

You forgot to account for dice rolls and Krytonite. :P

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:51 pm

RobertReaper wrote:Well, just like all the characters in the H&V books, you built them based on what they can do. The end fight should be accurate after that.

Yes, I'm very familiar... But the comic book fights have nothing to do with who can do what and accurate results... It's all based on the plot needs and politics... Up to and including the votes of fans being the deciding factor on who wins a battle.

...But we're already taking the first steps down that ugly path just by me mentioning my dread... So I'm gonna walk away from this one...

Ghost XIII
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Ghost XIII » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:29 pm

Just pre-ordered/downloaded the .pdf this afternoon. I haven't been able to do much more than flip through it -- looks like it covers a ton of ground (which is great) but I was hoping there would be maps (like the old Freedom City book had). At least for Metropolis & Gotham City.

Any chance something like this -- even just a single page map with a key that lines up with the locations described in the book -- might be available as a one-off download?

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:45 pm

Ghost XIII wrote:Just pre-ordered/downloaded the .pdf this afternoon. I haven't been able to do much more than flip through it -- looks like it covers a ton of ground (which is great) but I was hoping there would be maps (like the old Freedom City book had). At least for Metropolis & Gotham City.

Any chance something like this -- even just a single page map with a key that lines up with the locations described in the book -- might be available as a one-off download?

Maps like the ones we've seen for Freedom City would be sweet... But I can't imagine we'll ever see them.

I've seen a few renditions of Gotham City in RPGs and online over the years. The (very few) maps you can find online depicting the Nolanverse Gotham city look nothing like the ones from, say, Mayfair's Batman Sourcebook. It's not just urban development... Everything is different... And I actually prefer the Nolanverse Gotham maps. I'm just waiting to stumble across a really beautiful PDF of Gotham City or Metropolis that someone decides to make public... So I can download it really fast before DC slaps them with a lawsuit and makes them take it down... :roll:

RobertReaper
Henchman
Henchman

Postby RobertReaper » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:56 pm

The Argent Protector
Comrade
Comrade

Postby The Argent Protector » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:08 pm

Shadowchaser wrote:
The Argent Protector wrote:Is it just like the H&V books or does it cover some popular DC locations as well? Gotham, Metropolis, Apokalips, etc?

You can check out the table of contents in the preview pdf, linked here! :)

Sweet! Thanks!

Shadowchaser
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby Shadowchaser » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:08 am

The Argent Protector wrote:
Shadowchaser wrote:
The Argent Protector wrote:Is it just like the H&V books or does it cover some popular DC locations as well? Gotham, Metropolis, Apokalips, etc?

You can check out the table of contents in the preview pdf, linked here! :)

Sweet! Thanks!

And, of course, there's a podcast now: http://vigilancepress.podbean.com/2013/ ... -universe/

With another one to follow. :)
James Dawsey, Owner and Publisher of Vigilance Press

Look for Vigilance Press on RPGNow.com and Drive-Thru RPG!

Or check out our website for free previews and podcast links!
http://www.vigilancepress.com/

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Postby Foreshadow » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:25 pm

To me the ending of the Marvel game is not a surprise. I bet you can even find my post back when that game came out where I called it a future dead game, just like the 'stones' version of marvel. The game will live on as long as players play it, but just not as a published game. The truly sad thing is not the ending of its publishing history but rather the sourcebooks that will never see firstprinting, and pdf-creation.

Sort of like the Spider-Man's Guide for the MURPG version, it exists only as a pdf.

here's what the Oracle at Delphi says: There WILL BE another marvel rpg in the future, and one day it too will cease publication but will live on like Classic Marvel FASERIP does. Personally, I hate the way Marvel and DC loath the idea of having a single 'system' in which players can buy sourcebooks for either marvel or DC, sort of like how heroclix was two separate but compatible games.

John you worked on heroclix, why can't that be possible. Have GR stag the license for a 4 book deal: Marvel Adventures using MnM3e game engine. It will be a separate 'game' just like DC Adventures is separate from Green Ronin's general MnM3e, and thus you can tailor craft any specific marvel elements that need tweaking and expand the game as you know full well Steve and you will need to give thought to how to do Hulk or the Black King's powers.

In this way, MWP's loss might be Green Ronin's gain. Yes I know full well you guys read this suggestion and groan at the idea given the struggle to produce the DC books, but think about this the true holy grail of supers games: Green Ronin will be the first and ONLY game publisher to product a compatible game system for both marvel and DC. Once you do that, and finish those 4 books (and be realistic that might take years but my guess is the process will be much faster since you have learned a few things and perhaps Marvel is simply faster than DC in the feedback / approval department), and then you will have achieved something that might not be accomplished again for decades before another company tries to produce a compatible game. I could see a game company like WoTC, and if they did hopefully they'd go the D20 based route (which makes it basically convertible to DCA), but having it all done by the same team for both is better.

Consider the idea, and the best reason to do so, your not attempting to create an ongoing game that 'dies' like past marvel games did. Your producing a limited run of books, 4 books, and once your done, there is no other books produced, and thus no planned 50 sourcebooks that will not be produced because the game dies, and since MnM will live on regardless of DCA not having further books, your game system is in a great place. It doesn't stand with the DC or Marvel license. MnM thus has a unique position. You could add indy titles too like Image or Dark Horse, just like you have that Wildcard line and you can do a single sourcebook perhaps or more, but NOT an ongoing series, just a limited run thus the commitment is known and achievable. I knew right when I heard of the over-ambition publishing schedule MWP was planning that they were living in a dream fantasy world. There is no way to produce that much stuff, especially that fast..

Attempting to acquire the license might be harder considering MWP just dropped it, but really no, since I read the reason was they could not continue to afford it. So if GR works out a deal to only buy 4 books to publish you might not need to continue to afford some license.

:wink:

RobertReaper
Henchman
Henchman

Postby RobertReaper » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:48 pm

^^ YES THAT, DO THAT ^^

RobertReaper
Henchman
Henchman

Postby RobertReaper » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:56 pm

Though to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the good people at GR hasn't already jumped on this. I could see private meeting with the whole, see how successful we have been with DC, and everything.

That is assuming that DCA was successful. I own all the books and love each and every one of them, but who knows how many people out in the RP and Comic world actually picked it up outside of those of us that show up on the forums. For all we know GR only finished DCA: Universe cause they had a deal to do so and in fact it didn't really show much profit. I'm hoping that this statement is inaccurate and that the books were loved all over this and many other nations, but who knows.

If the book is as successful as it should be, CAUSE THESE BOOKS ARE AMAZING!!!, than Marvel would be stupid not to jump on the band wagon. Though they may be skittish after just losing their system.

BARON
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Postby BARON » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:13 pm

I don't trust MARVEL. Before it was like "okay maybe they were losing money", but now they're making such record profits with their films and whatnot. They could have kept the game going and it would have gotten bigger and bigger; system was great. I'm never buying their RPGs again. I understand the liscense is tough sometimes... but hey, DC didn't screw anyone. I'll buy DC's next game, but not MARVEL.

Return to “DC Adventures”