Exhausted and Impaired mechanics

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
spikevampire
Collaborator
Collaborator

Exhausted and Impaired mechanics

Postby spikevampire » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:26 pm

Hi guys,
might be a simple question here:
- What does the exhausted penalty (-2 to checks from the impaired) apply to?

How I got it is that you have a -2 penalty to checks and I bet almost everything in the game is a check. Apart from damage or powers, every attack, skill or TS is a check. Also, since active defenses are only commonly taken as a fixed roll 10 + defense, they can be still considered as a check and so the malus still applies to them as well.

Another quick one:
- Does exhausted condition (already impaired) + an impaired condition from an affliction or a grab effect stacks?

I guess so and the total should result in a -5 penalty

good night guys! thank you so much!!!

Laughingcrow
Sidekick
Sidekick

Re: Exhausted and Impaired mechanics

Postby Laughingcrow » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:25 am

The Impaired condition will impose a -2 penalty on all checks; these are only active checks not passive numbers like the defense values. So while this penalty applies to Parry checks, it does not change the Parry defense (which is 10+Parry). Unless otherwise noted, do not put this penalty on defenses that are not really checks - that's what Vulnerable and Defenseless conditions are for.
Edit: example of this is the Dodge resistance check when you are in an AoE effect.

So Impaired affects: skill checks, active checks for defenses (like Toughness), ability checks and so on.

Regarding your second question, when something changes one of the parts of a combined condition, they are resolved separately.

So Exhausted (Impaired and Hindered) + another Impaired = Disabled + Hindered
Exhausted (Impaired and Hindered) - removal of Hindered condition only = Impaired left

In your example, Impaired does indeed stack up to a -5 penalty. The only exception here is if your Impaired condition has a specific limitation, such as "hearing impaired", which causes -2 on all checks involving hearing. If he'd then get "vision impaired" he doesn't get a -5 - the two different versions go side by side. He'd need another thing that makes him "hearing impaired" to make him "hearing disabled".

Dragonblade
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Dragonblade » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:44 am

Laughingcrow wrote:The Impaired condition will impose a -2 penalty on all checks; these are only active checks not passive numbers like the defense values. So while this penalty applies to Parry checks, it does not change the Parry defense (which is 10+Parry). Unless otherwise noted, do not put this penalty on defenses that are not really checks - that's what Vulnerable and Defenseless conditions are for.
Edit: example of this is the Dodge resistance check when you are in an AoE effect.

I disagree with this interpretation of the rules, but its not explicitly made clear in the text. Technically, your defense class is simply your routine defense which means you are taking 10 on what would otherwise be a d20 roll for Parry and Dodge. The -2 penalty from Impaired should effect those as well, not only when you roll the dice.

Likewise, Vulnerable and Defenseless reduce your defenses in ALL situations, whether you are using your defense rank to make a check, OR when they are simply part of your defense class.

Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Earth-Two_Kenn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:49 am

I had an impaired mechanic once. He couldn't even manage an oil change.
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net

Laughingcrow
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Laughingcrow » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:45 am

It's worse to have an exhausted mechanic though - they also pedantically remind you that you came to them for that oil change, and should leave them alone. :mrgreen:

As for the interpretation, that can be read either way obviously. The way I see it, the 10+Defense isn't a check, but a DC (Difficulty Class) for the opponent. There are good things to say for either interpretation.

Return to “DC Adventures”