Disarm Alternate Rules

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
ican
Groupie
Groupie

Disarm Alternate Rules

Postby ican » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:21 am

Has anyone else had problems with the Disarm rules? Once you've hit the object (using appropriate penalties) the rules say to "make an opposed check of your attack’s damage against the defender’s Strength". Unless I'm interpreting it wrong, using damage as an opposed check seems very powerful.

So for example lets say the attacker makes a successful attack and has a rank 10 energy blast, for disarming he gets [base 15 (for damage) + 10 power rank + D20] , while the defender with strength 10 gets [10 (strength) + d20]. Using damage the attacker is getting a 15 point advantage.

Here are some suggestions that may work a little better:
1. Make the damage the DC vs defender strength
or
2. Use just the attackers power rank opposed by the defenders strength.

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Disarm Alternate Rules

Postby Black Mamba » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:52 am

You are interpreting Opposed Checks incorrectly. In an Opposed Check each side rolls 1d20 and adds their appropriate Ranks. So Blast 10 would roll 1d20 and add 10. The target would roll 1d20 and add his Strength value. There is no additional adding of +15 for Damage.
In this world of armchair bloggers, who've created a generation of critics instead of leaders, I'm actually doing something. Right here. Right now; for the city. For my country" - Oliver Queen, Smallville

ican
Groupie
Groupie

Postby ican » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:12 pm

From what I gathered, the book says you use your "attack's damage". In this case for a blast 10, wouldn't the damage from that attack be 25 (15 + 10)? Then you use that number for the opposed check.

I think this may be the only instance using "attack's damage", most everything else uses seems to use "effect" and "rank".

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Black Mamba » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:25 pm

The rules for Opposed Checks are different than those for Resistance Checks. When you see the words Opposed Check it is discussing a comparison between two values. The +15 Modifier is only versus Resistance Checks: +15 Modifier for Damage, +10 Modifier for everything else. For example, Grab specifically mentions Resistance Checks rather then Opposed Checks for the initial resistance: you roll a Resistance Check against Strength +10. This is entirely different than an Opposed Check.
In this world of armchair bloggers, who've created a generation of critics instead of leaders, I'm actually doing something. Right here. Right now; for the city. For my country" - Oliver Queen, Smallville

Stigger
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Stigger » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:27 pm

If you were actually doing 25 damage, the DC to resist it would be 40, but you are in fact only inflicting 10 damage, with a DC of 25 to resist it. Hence, you don't add that +15 to an opposed check, since it's not actually part of your 'real' damage, it's simply how that damage is mechanically handled in a specific situation.

ican
Groupie
Groupie

Postby ican » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:59 am

Black Mamba, I thought I was using Opposed Checks correctly, I was just coming to a different conclusion as to what values were used. So your comments have spurred some additional thought to readjust my initial approach. Hopefully I didn't complicate things more but lets see if my new line of thinking seems more correct:

So the damage using the Blast 10 is just 10. The extra +15 I was using included the Routine Check for damage, but because this is an Opposed Check I'm substituting the Routine Check with a +D20 not using both. So the Opposed check is just 10 (Blast) +1D20.

This matches Black Mamba's formula, which I wasn't trying to imply was incorrect, I'm just trying to understand the system better.

To Stingers comment, that's why I thought it seemed very powerful, but both your comments made me rethink it.

Return to “DC Adventures”