Some questions.

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Some questions.

Postby kenseido » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:49 am

I think the idea is that Circumstance modifiers come from outside the character and that is why they are "exempt" from PL limitations. PL limits are strictly limits on the character themselves. You are not "busting PL" with Circumstance modifiers, you are adjusting what the character is capable of to a set of specific conditions.

At least that is the way I see it.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:54 am

When Deadman controls someone, he can use only close attack or even spells and other special attack?

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Black Mamba » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:24 am

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:When Deadman controls someone, he can use only close attack or even spells and other special attack?

When Deadman Possesses someone he gets to use the possessed person's abilities. So if he somehow Possessed Superman he could use Superman's abilities.

Deadman has no spells or special Powers of his own. He is a ghost who flies around and takes over other people and uses their Powers.
In this world of armchair bloggers, who've created a generation of critics instead of leaders, I'm actually doing something. Right here. Right now; for the city. For my country" - Oliver Queen, Smallville

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:08 am

I am referring to the spells of the possessed.

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:17 am

Deadman has access to all the knowledge and ability of his host. Regardless

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Black Mamba » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:20 am

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:I am referring to the spells of the possessed.

Whether Deadman can use the possessed's spells is entirely how you choose to define what "Spells" are in the game. If Spells are simply Powers, then yes, Deadman can use them. If Spells are something you consider to be memorized and not part of the character, then no, he cannot enter the mind/memories of his target and so cannot gain access to use them.

GM's call on how you wish Spells to function.
In this world of armchair bloggers, who've created a generation of critics instead of leaders, I'm actually doing something. Right here. Right now; for the city. For my country" - Oliver Queen, Smallville

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:23 am

Can he use power stunts?

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Black Mamba » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:24 am

Bladewind wrote:Deadman has access to all the knowledge and ability of his host. Regardless

Deadman has a specific Flaw on his Possession stating he cannot access the target's thoughts or memories. So anything that is considered memory or memorized would be off limits.

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Black Mamba » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:25 am

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:Can he use power stunts?

Anyone can use Power Stunts. But you need to understand that a Power Stunt is substituting 1 Power for another. He cannot Possess someone and do a Power Stunt from his Possession Power.

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:57 pm

I've read Constantine's DCA characters, so, he haven't spells! How he can cast spells? With power stunts?

Flying Cobra
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Flying Cobra » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:59 pm

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:I've read Constantine's DCA characters, so, he haven't spells! How he can cast spells? With power stunts?

He uses his Expertise: Magic and Ritual Advantage.

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:48 pm

Mh, but he can't do much. :|

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Black Mamba » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:06 pm

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:Mh, but he can't do much. :|

He can create any spell that he wants to spend the time making - within his PL guidelines.

He has probably created and memorized hundreds of Rituals. The problem is the time it takes to cast one - but you can Jury-Rig it with a Hero Point to make the casting time take rounds instead of minutes per Point. So a 20 point Ritual would only take 20 Rounds to cast.

Still, that is not really an in-combat type of thing. He would usually have the Ritual prepared and use it at the beginning of the combat - say a big Affliction to Impair or Disable a foe. For there he would need to use his regular abilities to defeat the weakened target.

Ritual of Weakness: Affliction 12 (Will; Impaired, Disabled), Limited Degree, Triggered (stepping on the seal), Subtle 8 pts.

Something like that would take 8 Rounds to Jury-Rig with a Hero Point.

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:22 pm

Umh, I haven't found anywhere these rules to create spells!

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Black Mamba » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:26 pm

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:Umh, I haven't found anywhere these rules to create spells!

Spells are just Powers. You create them like you would any Power, but you give them a Magic Descriptor. Example:

Sleep Charm of Syssiphys: Ranged Affliction 10 (Fort: Dazed, Stunned, Asleep), 20 pts

Fires of Phorophos: Ranged Damage 10, Secondary Effect, Distracting, 20 pts

And the rules for Rituals are on page 146.

Return to “DC Adventures”