Some questions.

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Re: Some questions.

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:09 am

1) Some attacks in comics fling characters away or from the sky to the ground. So, in this game?
2) On aid action, "(your choice)" is referred to the opponent or the defense at wich the ally give the bonus?
3) Improve a grab improve the DC to escape, too?
4) Remove the higest level of damage with recover, what mean? If I have a total of -3 penality, how much damage is removed?

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Black Mamba » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:16 am

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:1) Some attacks in comics fling characters away or from the sky to the ground. So, in this game?

Knockback is a Complication in 3E - though there are some optional rules in the Gamemaster's Guide for those who are looking for a mechanical solution rather than a Complication.

2) On aid action, "(your choice)" is referred to the opponent or the defense at wich the ally give the bonus?

Aid gives the player the choice of helping an ally get a Circumstance bonus to hit easier or to protect themselves easier. So if you Aid someone you can give them a +2 to their Attack or +2 to their Defense - generally Dodge and Parry.

3) Improve a grab improve the DC to escape, too?

Improve Grab allows you to Grab someone with 1 hand. It also allows you to not be Vulnerable while Grabbing someone.
In this world of armchair bloggers, who've created a generation of critics instead of leaders, I'm actually doing something. Right here. Right now; for the city. For my country" - Oliver Queen, Smallville

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:23 am

3) No, I'm referring to improve a grab, by add the degrees of success.
4) The opposed acrobatics or athletics check of trip action, means that you and your opponent roll the d20 and add the bonuses?

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Black Mamba » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:42 am

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:3) No, I'm referring to improve a grab, by add the degrees of success.

My mistake, sorry! :cry: Escaping is not determined by how badly you failed your Check - Degrees of Success make no difference. You still roll against the original value when trying to Escape.

4) Remove the higest level of damage with recover, what mean? If I have a total of -3 penality, how much damage is removed?

Recover allows you to recover your highest Condition. So if you are Incapacitated, you wake up. If you are Staggered, you become un-Staggered. I you are Exhausted you can become un-Exhausted. It will not allow you to recover all your Resistance Penalties at once, only 1 of them - at least I have never seen it played were it would allow all Resistance Penalties to be healed.

4) The opposed acrobatics or athletics check of trip action, means that you and your opponent roll the d20 and add the bonuses?

Yes, you both roll and add your bonuses to see who wins.
In this world of armchair bloggers, who've created a generation of critics instead of leaders, I'm actually doing something. Right here. Right now; for the city. For my country" - Oliver Queen, Smallville

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:59 am

Black Mamba wrote:
Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:1) Some attacks in comics fling characters away or from the sky to the ground. So, in this game?

Knockback is a Complication in 3E - though there are some optional rules in the Gamemaster's Guide for those who are looking for a mechanical solution rather than a Complication.

I haven't see knockback in DC Adventures. :(

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Black Mamba » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:11 am

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:
Black Mamba wrote:

I haven't see knockback in DC Adventures. :(

It is a Complication in the core rules. The GM imposes Knockback when he feels it adds drama to the story - and this can earn a player a Hero Point if they are the victim of the Knockback.

The Gamemaster's Guide has optional rules for the M&M game - including some mechanics for Knockback, Wealth, Reputation, Mass Combat, and other such things.

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:15 am

But why they have not been put into DC Adventures?

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Black Mamba » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:21 am

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:But why they have not been put into DC Adventures?

The M&M Hero's Handbook and the DC Adventures are the same rules - one has DC examples and the other has generic examples. Both DCA and the Hero's Handbook just cover the basic rules of game-play. Within both games Knockback is handled via a Complication.

The Gamemaster's Guide has some optional rules which can be used in both games.

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:01 am

There are rules for amputation or to aim part of the body?

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Black Mamba » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:14 am

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:Can I see rules for amputation or to aim part of the body?

Amputation would be a Complication - and would probably lead to a very unhappy player as well. :)

Aiming at part of the body is generally handled via descriptor based on the outcome of the die roll. A poor Toughness Resistance Check result would often be described as a "head" or "vitals" shot. So Batman Power Attacks with his Batarang and hits the Joker for DC 25. The Joker rolls a 3 on his Toughness Resistance Check, missing by 16, and is Incapacitated. The descriptive aspect of the attack could be described as:

"Batman drew a Batarang from his Utility Belt and sprang into action. With one leap Batman cleared the boxes and let-lose his Batarang as a hail of bullets from the Joker's pistol ricocheted around him. The wing-shaped weapon flew in a graceful arc and caught the cackling Joker right between the eyes. There was momentary a look of confusion on the Joker's face as his trademark grin seemed to turn upside down, and a second later the Joker slumped to the warehouse floor, unconscious."

Neither of those things are given mechanics in the GMG - though amputation/maiming and Lethality are briefly discussed in DCA.

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:03 pm

In some situation, attack bonus + damage can overcome PL limits? For example with aim action, or with the +5 to damage of a critical.

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Black Mamba » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:07 pm

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:In some situation, attack bonus + damage can overcome PL limits? For example with aim action, or with the +5 to damage of a critical.

Yes. They are called Circumstance Bonuses. Circumstance Bonuses allow you to exceed the PL limits. The text generally calls them Circumstance Bonuses so-as not to confuse people. Aid, for example, grants a Circumstance Bonus to either an ally's Attack or Defense. Aim grants a Circumstance Bonus to Attack. Critical Hit grants a Circumstance Bonus to Damage, and so on.

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:37 pm

Can an enemy disarm you after a failed ranged disarm attempt?

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Black Mamba » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:02 pm

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:Can an enemy disarm you after a failed ranged disarm attempt?

What that paragraphs is talking about is using Melee weapons against each other. If you Disarm someone and fail the Opposed Check while using a Melee weapon they get an free chance to try and Disarm you - to take your weapon away. But if they fail their Opposed Check to try and take it you do not get another free Disarm try against them that Turn. You must use another Turn to try and Disarm them again.

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:05 pm

I've read that can be applied the rules of "going for the kill". So, in DC Adventures:
incapacitating the target also results in their condition
becoming dying.
and
Have four or more degrees of failure on a resistance check against Damage (and Afflictions that cause the dying
condition) result in immediate death.
In gamemaster' guide:
Failure (four degrees): In addition to being incapacitated,
the target is dying.

These are the contradictions.

Return to “DC Adventures”