Some questions.

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Re: Some questions.

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:18 am

I'm waiting for answers. :cry:

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:48 am

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:I'm waiting for answers. :cry:

I'm waiting for ice-cream. :wink:
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:17 am

I'm away from my books, but I'm pretty sure Impaired is only applied to "active" checks, likes attacks or skills, and not resistance checks.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:10 am

It's not specified on the handbook.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:09 pm

Impaired applies to all checks, plain and simple. Need to remember something while you're Exhausted so you make an Expertise check, at -2. Get punched in the stomach? Roll Toughness, -2. Trying to shoot Baron Von Ruthless? Make a ranged attack check, -2.

There isn't much room for interpretation. What is open to question is whether or not this is too powerful, but that's a whole different debate. The above is simply how impaired works, under RAW.

Also, your question about degrees of failure is right. It helps that there's a handy dandy table on page 14 of the DCA handbook.

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:22 am

When you recover, you can remove your highest level of damage

You can only recover once per conflict. Once you have done so, you must recover from any remaining damage, fatigue, or effects normally (or with outside assistance).

1) So, if I have -4 to thoughness, when I use the recover action, the malus becomes -3 or 0?

Fists of Dorn wrote:
Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:How I can create the SHAZAM! and magical blast stunts for Black Adam? Yes, I know that SHAZAM! deals 19 damage, but how it hit?

You could power stunt it off of one of his other effects, the Swiftness of Heru array as Greyman mentioned provides the best option. I would suggest the following:

Damage (Lightning- Magic): 19
Extras: Area- Burst on 10 ranks at +1/rank
Flaws: Grab-based -1/rank

2) Why on 10 ranks? :shock:
3) If someone is immune to magic, and an attack is magical and electrical, what happens?
4) So, can an attack have two descriptors?

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Greyman » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:48 am

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:1) So, if I have -4 to thoughness, when I use the recover action, the malus becomes -3 or 0?
It becomes -3. You only recover from one condition and each accumulated -1 penalty is a separate condition.
Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:
Fists of Dorn wrote:You could power stunt it off of one of his other effects, the Swiftness of Heru array as Greyman mentioned provides the best option. I would suggest the following:

Damage (Lightning- Magic): 19
Extras: Area- Burst on 10 ranks at +1/rank
Flaws: Grab-based -1/rank

2) Why on 10 ranks? :shock:
Area Effect rank is restricted to power level.
What Fist of Dorn is doing is applying burst area as a partial modifier as demonstrated on page 136 of the Heroes Handbook (or page 124 of the DCAdventures Handbook).

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:3) If someone is immune to magic, and an attack is magical and electrical, what happens?
4) So, can an attack have two descriptors?
Yes, an effect can have a multitude of descriptors. This has cost and benefits; you can gain advantage over a wider range of vulnerabilities but conversely are blocked by a wider range of immunities. Likewise you can counter more effects, but can also be countered by more effects.

Thuswise: Someone immune to magic hit by an attack that is both magical and electrical is not affected by it.

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:58 am

There is a way to use a stunt to doing a thing like: "Superman fly through the Manhunter army, destroying five robots in a straight line."
I think that can be use the stunt of the flight array, right?

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:11 am

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:There is a way to use a stunt to doing a thing like: "Superman fly through the Manhunter army, destroying five robots in a straight line."
I think that can be use the stunt of the flight array, right?

Actually i'd say thats a stunt off of strength, not flight. Strength damage with the "area effect; line" extra, maybe.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Flying Cobra
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Flying Cobra » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:12 pm

The Manhunters would likely be considered minions at this level, so Supes could just Extra Effort Takedown.

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:47 pm

1) The DC against a grab, is the strength of who started the grab + 10?
2) How make a grab using the teamwork advatage?
3) Characters like Manhunter, so robots with immunity to fortitude effects , can be fatigued by extra effort? I have not read anything about it.

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:22 pm

I know in 2E, constructs (i.e. characters with no CON) were not allowed to use Extra Effort. The same rule probably applies to Constructs in 3E.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:03 pm

Here are my thoughts on your latest questions:

1 No. D20 + Str Mod of attacker vs D20 + Strength or Dodge is how I read the rules on this one.
2 The same way you make any other teamwork roll. You get bonuses for dog piling on your opponent.
3 There is debate on applying fatigued to a construct, but realistically there is no reason why the effects of fatigue cannot be applied to a construct. I cannot find a rules reference for that though.

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Greyman » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:01 am

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:1) The DC against a grab, is the strength of who started the grab + 10?
Yes; or to whatever effect generates the grab bonus (such as Move Object).
Bladewind wrote:1 No. D20 + Str Mod of attacker vs D20 + Strength or Dodge is how I read the rules on this one.
Nope. You need to read it again, but carefully. In 3ed the grab opponent makes a Resistance check against the grab effect, not an opposed check as it was in 2ed. It's one of those changes that slip passed because people just assume it still works the same. It doesn't.
Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:2) How make a grab using the teamwork advatage?
Descriptively, you assist an ally's grab attempt on the same opponent. Mechanically, you use either the Aid Action to improve the Attack Roll, or the Team Attack Maneuver to improve the Resistance DC.

Aid Action: Make an attack check against DC 10 to aid an ally's grab attack. Teamwork adds +5 to this check; basically a degree of success. Success adds +2 circumstance bonus to the ally's grab; or three or more degrees of success adds +5 circumstance bonus.

Team Attack: If your strength is within 5 ranks of your allies' strengths, delay to the same initiative order then make an attack check against the target's defense. Teamwork adds a +5 bonus to this check. Take the strongest attack that hits and count the combined degrees of success of all the other hits. Again add +2 circumstance bonus for at least one degree of success, or +5 if you achieve three or more combined degrees of success.
Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:3) Characters like Manhunter, so robots with immunity to fortitude effects , can be fatigued by extra effort? I have not read anything about it.
Yes they can. Immunity cause a Resistance Check to automatically succeed. However there is no Fortitude Resistance check to prevent Fatigue from Extra Effort. Thus Immunity does not apply.

Lack of biology is not an issue. Call it, uhm, mechanical fatigue, overheating, or however you want to explain the condition, but Contruct Heroes can use Extra Effort, become 'fatigued' or 'exhausted', and then recover after sufficient downtime.

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:27 am

Thanks, Greyman, but I've read right now that characters with no stamina can't take extra effort.

I've some knockback questions.
1) For the distance rank, the first penality to thoughness must be counted or not? If the character has already a penality to thoughness, must be counted for the distance rank?
2) Power attack and similar bonus or malus to the damage rank is applied to knockback for calculate the distance rank?

3) To counter an attack, must I declare this action before I know if the attack hit or miss me?
4) In the previous page, Bladewind talk about a very good way for counter a physical attack.
Bladewind wrote:Think of it this way - despite his speed and reflexes, you know full well that the Flash is not going to make a save versus the opponent he is facing.

Using a HP for an instant counter, you use his Speed rank to counter the punch - something that actually stands a chance of success - instead of making a Toughness Save.

Dice are rolled, the Flash makes it !

The players and GM then describe the Flash as vibrating so fast that the murderous villain simply passes through as if the Flash is insubstantial.

I've read the countering effects, and is an opposed check based on the rank. So, this physical attack counter can't be applied?
5) If I use a stunt based on flight, but my flight speed have a malus or a bonus, the stunt changes?

Return to “DC Adventures”