Some questions.

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Some questions.

Postby Greyman » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:05 pm

I'd power stunt it off the Swiftness of Heru array, calling a Cylinder-Area Damage 15 around him.

Alternatively you could stunt it off Strength, as Damage 19, a close attack with the electrical descriptor rather than bludgeoning. (Black Adam calls out SHAZM and jumps back; redirecting the lightning at his enemy instead of himself. )

It depends on what you want to do with it.

Fists of Dorn
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Fists of Dorn » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:18 pm

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:How I can create the SHAZAM! and magical blast stunts for Black Adam? Yes, I know that SHAZAM! deals 19 damage, but how it hit?

You could power stunt it off of one of his other effects, the Swiftness of Heru array as Greyman mentioned provides the best option. I would suggest the following:

Damage (Lightning- Magic): 19
Extras: Area- Burst on 10 ranks at +1/rank
Flaws: Grab-based -1/rank

The cost for that is 15 power points and provides him with a high rank damage effect that works off of him grabbing his target (one of the primary ways I have seen this used in comics by Black Adam and Captain Marvel). The added burst area ranks can have the descriptor of magical lightning, or it can be used to represent the powerful concussion the lightning bolt's impact causes. This better replicates that the lightning bolt is used to impact a single foe and when it does there is a significant blast radiating out from the point of impact.
Instead of applying the side-effect flaw to represent the lightning bolt hitting Black Adam/Captain Marvel should his target succeed on his resistance check, I would simply go with a Complication.
If you don't want the user to have to succeed on a grab first (particularly in more mobile situations) you can replace the Grab-based flaw with the Distracting flaw (showing that the user is focused more on evading the lightning bolt than his enemies- which appears true in most instances of the comics).
I'd keep the range of this attack at Close since he is supposed to be narrowly dodging its effects.

Either way you can use the remaining 15 points from the array to provide the character with lower ranked versions of his movement effects (pick whichever he is using at the time) and/or some of his ranks of Quickness.

-Fists.

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:18 am

Thanks! I appreciate your help!
I've other questions.
1) If Flash wants to use a hero point to become insubstantial being attacked, he must declare before the roll to resist or even after?
2) Being fatigued and after being hindered, what causes it?
3) If I fail of two degree a toughness check when I make a slam, I undergo a knockback even though I'm the attacker?
Last edited by Alex_UNLIMITED on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Monolith » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:27 am

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:1) If Flash wants to use a hero point to become insubstantial being attacked, he must declare before the roll to resist or even after?

Switching your array to insubstantial you need a free action, and you can only take free actions on your turn in the round. Some gms might let you use a hero point and treat the switching of the array like an instant counter. That would be up to the gm.

2) Being fatigued and after being hindered, what causes it?

The idea is that you're tired and run/move slower because hindered cuts your movement speed in half.

3) If I fail of two degree a toughness check when I make a slam, I undergo a knockdown even though I'm the attacker?

The game doesn't have knockdown rules so I'm not sure why you think you should get knocked down.

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:52 am

1) :shock: :?: Became insubstantial isn't a standard action?
2) So the character has -2 to speed? He became exhausted?
3) I add the knockback rules from GM's guide.
4) Impaired (general) is applied even to toughness checks?
Last edited by Alex_UNLIMITED on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:02 am

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:1) :shock: :?: Became insubstantial isn't a standard action?

It is.

To my understanding and use of the Instant Counter option, spending the HP gives you an extra Standard Action, limited to being used to counter an attack. The fact of becoming Insubstantial is largely descriptor at that point.

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Monolith » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:16 am

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:1) :shock: :?: Became insubstantial isn't a standard action?

A round consists of initiative counts. The person with the highest initiative count goes first, then the next highest, and it keeps on going down until everyone has gone in the round.

You can only take actions (standard, move, and free) on your initiative count turn. If the Flash's initiative is on 35 in the round then he can only do things on 35 unless he delays. When someone else goes on 25 the Flash can't do anything because he's already used his actions in the turn. If someone shoots at Flash on 18 he can't turn insubstantial on 18 because he already used all his actions (standard, move, free) on 35. He's done for the round.

If the Flash wants to try and save himself on 18 the gm would need to allow him to use a hero point and get something similar to an instant counter that allowed him to switch his array, because normally the Flash can't do anything on 18 as he already did his turn on 35 and used all his free actions.

2) So the character has -2 to speed? He became exhausted?

No. Fatigue comes from being attacked with afflictions that cause it or from doing extra effort. Moving slower doesn't cause fatigue. Fatigue ranks causes moving slower.

3) I add the knockdown rules from GM's guide.

I you're using an optional house rule then it's up to you whether the attacker should get knocked down. It's not part of the normal rules.

4) Impaired (general) is applied even to toughness checks?

It depends on the effects purchase with the impaired. Impaired senses, like hearing, isn't going to affect toughness. Impaired dexterity, from having your hands tied, isn't going to affect toughness. It all comes down to what the attack is supposed to be impairing.

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:25 am

So, it's better use the insubstantial power during his turn rather than use it as an instant counter?

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Monolith » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:28 am

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:So, it's better use the insubstantial power during his turn rather than use it as an instant counter?

It's not that it's better. It's just that once your turn is over you can't normally do other things. Once Flash goes he's done. Then has has to deal with being attacked like anyone else. You can't be all offensive and then get to be all defensive too. There's a balance to the game.

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:37 am

1) So, Flash can prepare an action, by spending an hero point during his turn for became insubstantial. Then, that prepared action can be used before or after an eventual toughness check?
4) Impaired referred to general impaired, like from exhausted.
Last edited by Alex_UNLIMITED on Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:40 am

As well, it's a matter of personal preference. An instant counter is kind of like a saving throw to a certain extent.

Think of it this way - despite his speed and reflexes, you know full well that the Flash is not going to make a save versus the opponent he is facing.

Using a HP for an instant counter, you use his Speed rank to counter the punch - something that actually stands a chance of success - instead of making a Toughness Save.

Dice are rolled, the Flash makes it !

The players and GM then describe the Flash as vibrating so fast that the murderous villain simply passes through as if the Flash is insubstantial.

Later, the Flash needs to get through the wall to save the people inside. Using a Standard Action he becomes intangible and slips through with practised ease...

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:06 am

It depends on the effects purchase with the impaired. Impaired senses, like hearing, isn't going to affect toughness. Impaired dexterity, from having your hands tied, isn't going to affect toughness. It all comes down to what the attack is supposed to be impairing.

Impaired referred to general impaired, like from exhausted.

Bladewind wrote:As well, it's a matter of personal preference. An instant counter is kind of like a saving throw to a certain extent.

Think of it this way - despite his speed and reflexes, you know full well that the Flash is not going to make a save versus the opponent he is facing.

Using a HP for an instant counter, you use his Speed rank to counter the punch - something that actually stands a chance of success - instead of making a Toughness Save.

Dice are rolled, the Flash makes it !

The players and GM then describe the Flash as vibrating so fast that the murderous villain simply passes through as if the Flash is insubstantial.

Later, the Flash needs to get through the wall to save the people inside. Using a Standard Action he becomes intangible and slips through with practised ease...

WOW! The countering action is: d20 + Flash's speed rank vs. strenght of the attaccker or attack check, in the case of a punch?

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:06 am

EDIT: I was talking about knockback, before!

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:22 am

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:WOW! The countering action is: d20 + Flash's speed rank vs. strenght of the attaccker or attack check, in the case of a punch?

I was going off the top of my head without my books, but that sounds about right. (Not to mention suitably heroic for an M&M campaign !)

Others may correct me as necessary.

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:22 pm

Monolith wrote:
Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:2) So the character has -2 to speed? He became exhausted?
No. Fatigue comes from being attacked with afflictions that cause it or from doing extra effort. Moving slower doesn't cause fatigue. Fatigue ranks causes moving slower.

I talk about the staggered condition (hindered + dazed) with three degrees of failure. If the target is already fatigued, he becomes fatigued, hindered and dazed. So, the target has -2 to speed?

Monolith wrote:
Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:3) I add the knockdown rules from GM's guide.
I you're using an optional house rule then it's up to you whether the attacker should get knocked down. It's not part of the normal rules.

I'm referring to knockback, not knockdown, I was wrong! So, even the attacker may suffer a knockback after a slam?

Monolith wrote:
Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:4) Impaired (general) is applied even to toughness checks?

I'm referring to impaired referred to general impaired, like from exhausted. So, being impaired in this way is also equivalent to have another -2 to toughness?

Another question: a degree of failure, in combat, starts from -1 to -5, two degrees starting from from -6 to -10 and so on?

Return to “DC Adventures”