Some questions.

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
User avatar
JDRook
Superhero
Superhero
Posts: 1957
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:44 pm

Re: Some questions.

Postby JDRook » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:58 pm

Carl Sagan wrote:If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.


1) One of the reasons for Power Level is to have a baseline for the characters and setting so that the PCs are not too weak or too powerful for the challenges of the setting. There are limited circumstances when a PC may go over PL, but they don't happen often and are rarely by more than a rank or 2. Strike 30 in a PL10 setting is ridiculously overpowered. In theory, you would have to give the PC a huge tradeoff, resulting in a -10 total attack bonus to balance it again the high effect. In practice, this PC would have trouble hitting anything that wasn't an inanimate object, but would annihilate anything it did hit. This PC would be difficult to play and even more difficult for a GM to challenge in a PL10 setting, and while the game is relatively open-ended a PC like this would go against every piece of advice about tradeoffs in the book. In short, this PC would break the game.

2) The official Superman build in the DCA book has a Power Loss Complication if he can't interact with the energy of a yellow sun. If that occurs, he loses his powers, most of his STR and STA, and gets a Hero Point. Since he can't fly to the sun without his powers, he'd have to find another means to get there, which could be an interesting challenge for him and the player.

3) Half the series PL rounded down or GM decision. That's directly from the Luck Advantage description. You might want to read what the book says first for some of your questions.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

insaniac99
Firebrand
Firebrand
Posts: 898
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:12 am

Re: Some questions.

Postby insaniac99 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:13 am

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:Thanks, I've other questions.
1) Can a character have a power that overcome his PL? So, a PL 10, can have strike 30, for example, even if he's limited to a 20 total with the combination of attack and effect?

Uh, depends on the GM. Most will probably say no, and that is the RAW. But some might make you take a -10 on your die roll (which would mean only on a twenty will hit anything with that big of a difference) but I'd advise against it on general principal

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:2) How can it be managed in the game Superman that go near the sun for recharge his power? He gain a PP for the complication?

He would get Hero Points, not Power Points. each time it actually effects him (I'd say once per fight or scene where he doesn't have his powers)

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:3) If I wish to take the luck advantage, and I'm PL 11, I can have 5 or 6 ranks?

Depends on the GM.... I would go with rounding up, so 6.

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:35 am

Re: Some questions.

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:14 am

insaniac99 wrote:
Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:2) How can it be managed in the game Superman that go near the sun for recharge his power? He gain a PP for the complication?

He would get Hero Points, not Power Points. each time it actually effects him (I'd say once per fight or scene where he doesn't have his powers)

Yes, I wanted to write Hero Point.

1) A PL 10 can have strike 30, even if the attack is +10 to hit and the effect is 10 damage? This can be useful when the PC grows with PL: in this way he mustn't spend PPs for augment this particular attack, because it's already greater than the normal. I wanted you to understand this. I asked this question because, in this post, JDRook has show to me the error on my build. Now, for correct my errors, the character will be like this:
Nilith Arsenal (20 points):
Ranged Nilith Weapons: strike 10, ranged (20 points)
Melee Nilith Weapons: strike 5, strenght-based, varible descriptor (6 points, reduced to 1 point because is a part of the array).

So, can I augment Melee Nilith weapons to strike 19 (for a 20 points total, that are perfect for the array), event if I'm a PL 10 and my attacks have +10 to hit and inflict 10 damages?

Another question related to this post:
a.) If I want to augment that array, I must only spend points for the principal attack (ranged nilith weapons) and the other attack (melee nilith weapons) grows without any spending of points?

Another question related to regeneration:
2) With regeneration 2, the character recovers every 5 rounds. The rounds must be counted each character's turns from the start of the battle or from the first damages he takes?

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero
Posts: 2087
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:07 pm

Re: Some questions.

Postby Monolith » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:53 am

1) The pl limits are a hard cap. You can't over buy because that would affect things like weaken, where someone is trying to drain your power. If you have extra points in your array you need to just consider them lost points, or you can buy an advantage like penetrating to use them up. Losing points in array happens often because of pl. That doesn't mean you get to have powers over pl limits.

1a) If you increase the array every power in the array also increases, assuming the pl has also increased.

2) Regeneration happens every single minute: the number of ranks telling you often per minute. If you have regen 2 then you recover twice every minute all the time: 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. You're always recovering on round 5 and 10 whether you're being attacked or not.

User avatar
JDRook
Superhero
Superhero
Posts: 1957
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:44 pm

Re: Some questions.

Postby JDRook » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:58 am

1) I agree with Monolith in that you can't buy up an effect in an array slot to PL-breaking level just because you have enough point space in the slot. In practice, though, if your PC goes up a Power Level and that space is there, you could essentially buy the effect up to cap for free.

Using your example
Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:Nilith Arsenal (20 points):
Ranged Nilith Weapons: strike 10, ranged (20 points)
Melee Nilith Weapons: strike 5, strenght-based, varible descriptor


If your PL10 PC has +10 for his melee weapons and has STR 5 for a Damage 10 effect with those weapons, then he is at cap. If he goes up to PL11, he could raise the Melee Strike rank to 7 for Damage 12 with a +10 hit for no additional cost. In theory you could do this until your PC is PL17 (STR 5, Melee 19, +10 to hit), but even if you ever got that far it is likely you would also want to increase his STR or combat bonus sometime, or even change the array altogether. So Design ProTip: there's nothing wrong with planning how your PC might develop, but your plan is likely to change a lot before you go up a level or two, so don't bother projecting too far forward. Live in the NOW! :)

2) I don't agree with Monolith on this one. I figure your Regen should kick into gear when you're damaged and Regen 2 would take 5 rounds to recover the first condition. That said, keeping Regen consistent on end of round 5 and 10 would be simpler since you wouldn't have to keep track of when the condition landed. I'd say as long as you and your GM pick one of those and stay consistent, it shouldn't really matter.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:35 am

Re: Some questions.

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:58 pm

During today's session there was a doubt: a character that controls somebody, can say "kill yourself" to the controlled character?

User avatar
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord
Posts: 4823
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:20 am
Location: Laval

Re: Some questions.

Postby Bladewind » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:43 pm

Yes, but because it goes against the basic nature of a person in most circumstances, it grants a new/ fresh (will) save versus the effect.

I`d have to get the rulebook to reference properly for you though.

User avatar
JDRook
Superhero
Superhero
Posts: 1957
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:44 pm

Re: Some questions.

Postby JDRook » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:45 pm

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:a character that controls somebody, can say "kill yourself" to the controlled character?

In 2e there was a separate Mind Control power, which specifically stated:
Core Rules 2e, p93 wrote:Obviously self-destructive commands are automatically ignored, but do not break your control.

In 3e, Mind Control and several other powers were folded into Affliction. Whether that's an improvement is the cause of some debate, but it did limit the amount of detail in describing some Conditions, including Controlled.

If you look at it from a strictly cost-for-effect point of view, the cost of landing a Controlled Condition is the same as all of the other 3rd Degree Conditions (Asleep, Incapacitated, Paralyzed, Transformed, Unaware), and therefore should be about as effective. So a Controller giving a command like "Sleep" or "Don't Move" would be completely appropriate, but depending on how lethal the setting is (or possibly a Controller villain), I don't think allowing self-destruction should be common.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero
Posts: 2087
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:07 pm

Re: Some questions.

Postby Monolith » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:55 am

JDRook wrote:2) I don't agree with Monolith on this one. I figure your Regen should kick into gear when you're damaged and Regen 2 would take 5 rounds to recover the first condition.

My suggestion goes back to the concept of short combats. If you have a 2 regen and get hurt on round 4 you wouldn't get a regen until round 9, and the odds are quite good that the combat would be over by then.

If you don't let players have some benefit from their lower regen ranks that's just going to force them to increase the rank so that they feel they are getting some value. That's going to lead to power escalation, where someone would have been content with 2, but now feels they need 4 or 5 to get any benefit.

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:35 am

Re: Some questions.

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:36 pm

Another question: when a character counters a team attack, he counters all the attacks or only one?

User avatar
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord
Posts: 4823
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:20 am
Location: Laval

Re: Some questions.

Postby Bladewind » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:40 pm

You'll have to explain what you mean by a team attack.

insaniac99
Firebrand
Firebrand
Posts: 898
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:12 am

Re: Some questions.

Postby insaniac99 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:08 am

I'm guessing he means the maneuver where everyone tries to hit, then the victim takes the largest effect rank plus a 2 or 5 DC modifier.

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero
Posts: 2087
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:07 pm

Re: Some questions.

Postby Monolith » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:10 am

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:Another question: when a character counters a team attack, he counters all the attacks or only one?

The important thing to remember is that to counter you need to have countering forces. Anything can't just counter anything because you want it to. With team attack it would depend on the situation. If the counter makes sense against the primary attack descriptor I'd allow it; but the counter would need to be against the team boosted amount. If the primary attack is 12 damage and the team attack takes that to 17 damage then the counter would need to be against the 17 ranks; assuming the primary attack can be countered by the player's descriptor.

User avatar
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord
Posts: 4381
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Perth, AUSTRALIA

Re: Some questions.

Postby saint_matthew » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:20 am

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:Another question: when a character counters a team attack, he counters all the attacks or only one?


Depends on the descriptor & the oppossing descriptor & the given situation: But as a general answer, yes they can.

The rest is up to the GM to determine on a case by case basis, based on circumstance.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:35 am

Re: Some questions.

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:18 am

Thanks, I've another question.
1) There is a character with PL 10, with 10 to strenght and 10 to fighting. That character has this power:
Weaken bracelets: weaken stamina 10, progressive, removable, indestructible. Total: 30 points.
So, two different attacks:
unarmed +10 - 10 damage
weaken bracelets +10 - weaken stamina 10, progressive.
Can be used a stunt to permit to that character to damage and weaken the stamina of her target in the same round?
a.) If yes, the target must first roll against weaken or damage?
2) Can be used maneuvers live power attack with attacks like weaken bracelets?
3) Can a character have a type of teleport limited only to a plane of existence? Like teleport limited to Asgard, for example. How much costs?


Return to “DC Adventures”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests