Some questions.

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:35 am

Re: Some questions.

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:07 am

Another question!
If the obstacle is another character, treat the result as a slam attack (see M&M Hero’s Handbook, page 198) doing damage equal to the original attack to both parties.

If I must treat the result as a slam attack, the damage are the same of the original attack +1 for both parties?

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero
Posts: 2087
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:07 pm

Re: Some questions.

Postby Monolith » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:44 pm

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:Another question!
If the obstacle is another character, treat the result as a slam attack (see M&M Hero’s Handbook, page 198) doing damage equal to the original attack to both parties.

If I must treat the result as a slam attack, the damage are the same of the original attack +1 for both parties?

I'm guessing you're talking about the optional knockback rules. If you knock someone back into someone else then they both take the same damage. If the knockback causes 11 damage then the character knocked back and the character knocked into both take the 11 damage.

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:35 am

Re: Some questions.

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:54 am

Yes, but why it's written "slam attack"?

User avatar
Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight
Posts: 504
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:13 pm
Location: Outer Chicagoland, Earth-Two
Contact:

Re: Some questions.

Postby Earth-Two_Kenn » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:04 am

Because on page 198 there are specific rules for a combat maneuver called "Slam Attack" involving the attacker running headlong into someone.
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:35 am

Re: Some questions.

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:03 am

Thanks at all! Now, I've some questions:
1) Animal Man can assume the same weight of an animal. During the game, how he can assume the weight of a whale?
2) Regeneration:
a.) With regeneration 11, the character recover 1 thougness or conditions except, for only one time in a minute, 2 thoughness penality or conditions, but who choice when it recovers 2 penality?
b.) If a character gains regeneration like Animal Man, so during his turn, still functions?

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero
Posts: 2087
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:07 pm

Re: Some questions.

Postby Monolith » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:39 am

1: Density can be handled by the growth effect with density option, or by feature, or even a combination of them both.

2a: Regen is based off of 10 rounds. You try to space the number evenly. Someone with 1 regen might get to recover on round 5. Someone with 2 regen on rounds 5 and 10. Someone with 3 regen on rounds 3, 6, and 9. Someone with 11 regen would get 1 every round and a second on round 5. Just try to keep them evenly spaced.

2b: I don't really understand the question. If you're asking if he can use it the round he got it, it would depend on the round and how much regen and many other things.

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:35 am

Re: Some questions.

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:53 am

2b: he change his power to regeneration 20, during his turn, for example.

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero
Posts: 2087
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:07 pm

Re: Some questions.

Postby Monolith » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:59 am

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:2b: he change his power to regeneration 20, during his turn, for example.

He can change his powers on his turn and use them. It's important to keep in mind that he can't randomly assign values. He can only get as much as the animal has. He can't just give himself regen 20 just because he wants to have it. He can only give himself values that the animals have. So, as an example, he can only fly as fast as a bird. He can't fly as fast as a jet. He can only swim as fast as a fast fish, not as fast as a speedboat. His power is that he duplicates animal values, not any values he wants.

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:35 am

Re: Some questions.

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:09 am

Monolith wrote:1: Density can be handled by the growth effect with density option, or by feature, or even a combination of them both.

There isn't the density option. :(

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero
Posts: 2087
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:07 pm

Re: Some questions.

Postby Monolith » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:11 am

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:
Monolith wrote:1: Density can be handled by the growth effect with density option, or by feature, or even a combination of them both.

There isn't the density option. :(

It is in the power profile book. The density option is a +0 modifier: Density Increase: Growth, Does Not Change Size (+0 modifier) • 2 points per rank

User avatar
JDRook
Superhero
Superhero
Posts: 1957
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:44 pm

Re: Some questions.

Postby JDRook » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:18 pm

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:1) Animal Man can assume the same weight of an animal. During the game, how he can assume the weight of a whale?

Simplest way to increase mass is as a Feature. Increase Mass is used in several areas in the book for 1p/rank, with each rank doubling the mass. The effect, besides being heavier, also makes the PC resistant to Trips and Knockback.

As Monolith mentioned, there is an option for Density, which is a +0 Extra for Growth that doesn't change Size, Skills or Speed, but does still increase STR, STA and mass. Personally, I think Growth is troublesome for balance in the first place, and Density just makes it worse, since you get STR and STA for really cheap with very few disadvantages. (ie 10 ranks of STR, STA, Increased Mass = 50p, while 10 ranks of Density Growth = 20p.) To truly make it balanced, a GM should make the extreme mass of the character come up a lot: cracking sidewalks, sinking into earth, breaking through floors, or at the very least being very easy to track, all without giving out Hero Points since the PC would already be getting roughly the equivalent of a -3 Flaw on cost, which would be ridiculously limiting on any other effect.

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:2) Regeneration:
a.) With regeneration 11, the character recover 1 thougness or conditions except, for only one time in a minute, 2 thoughness penality or conditions, but who choice when it recovers 2 penality?
b.) If a character gains regeneration like Animal Man, so during his turn, still functions?

a) For Regen 1, I would have the recovery at the end of the 10th round (one minute). For Regen 2, the end of the 5th and 10th round. 10 ranks is the end of every round. 11 ranks would therefore be 10 + 1, so 1 every round and 2 end of 10th round.
b) If you're moving points around in a Variable to make varying levels of Regen, the only sane way to do it IMHO is to reset the time every time you change Regen rank. So if you have Regen 10 in round 1 and change it to Regen 2 in round 4, you would recover at the end of rounds 1, 2, 3, and 8. Carrying over or keeping track of other methods would either be abusive or annoying.

That said, high levels of Regen can be problematic, and variable levels even moreso. If you really see yourself using a lot of Regenerating animals, I say you name a few, drop one rank out of your Variable and buy:

Animal Healing: Regen 10, Limited to (list of regenerating animals) - 5p

This defines and simplifies your Regen to when you use those particular animal's powers, makes your GM's job easier and even saves you a few points.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero
Posts: 2087
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:07 pm

Re: Some questions.

Postby Monolith » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:08 pm

JDRook wrote:a) For Regen 1, I would have the recovery at the end of the 10th round (one minute).

The problem with this is that most combats don't last 10 rounds. That means the character would seldom get any use out of regen 1 if you had it operate on round 10.

Animal Healing: Regen 10, Limited to (list of regenerating animals) - 5p

The descriptor of Animal Man's variable already requires him to limit his powers to animals. Since he can only get regeneration from regeneration animals it does not seem right to put a flaw limited to regenerating animals on the build. He has no other choice but to use regenerating animals.

User avatar
JDRook
Superhero
Superhero
Posts: 1957
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:44 pm

Re: Some questions.

Postby JDRook » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:04 pm

Monolith wrote:The problem with this is that most combats don't last 10 rounds. That means the character would seldom get any use out of regen 1 if you had it operate on round 10.

I was using that largely for demonstration purposes and to make Regen 11 easier to explain. Regen 1 is something I've almost never seen used save to compensate for Absent Stamina.

Monolith wrote:The descriptor of Animal Man's variable already requires him to limit his powers to animals. Since he can only get regeneration from regeneration animals it does not seem right to put a flaw limited to regenerating animals on the build. He has no other choice but to use regenerating animals.

Let me make sure I'm clear. I'm recommending putting the Regen outside of the Variable effect; if it was part of the Variable it would definitely not need a limit. I'm also assuming that this version of Animal Man can only use the traits of one animal at a time. The Limit would mean that Regen would only come into play when he uses animals that he and the GM have agreed as having some kind of Regen power (lizards, starfish, flatworms, etc). My third assumption is that he would want to use non-regenerating animals more often than not, so the Limit is in fact limiting, and would cost 5p instead of the equivalent of 2 ranks of Variable.

Ultimately, this lets the player have Regen without having to deal with the issues of changing it around every turn; he is either using a regenerating animal's power and is getting 1 recovery per round, or he's not and nothing changes.

Admittedly, this is informed by my personal biases, one of which being that if you're going to call a particular power from your Variable a lot, you may as well pull it out so it's always available and save some points (see every weapon-based Variable ever).
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:35 am

Re: Some questions.

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:10 pm

JDRook wrote:
Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:1) Animal Man can assume the same weight of an animal. During the game, how he can assume the weight of a whale?

Simplest way to increase mass is as a Feature. Increase Mass is used in several areas in the book for 1p/rank, with each rank doubling the mass.

Some example with this feature? It cost 3 per rank (2 growth +1 feature)?

User avatar
JDRook
Superhero
Superhero
Posts: 1957
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:44 pm

Re: Some questions.

Postby JDRook » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:25 pm

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:Some example with this feature? It cost 3 per rank (2 growth +1 feature)?

Growth has that feature built-in for no additional cost, which is one of many reasons I think it is undercosted and easily abused.

Increased Mass as a modifier is used to increase the carrying capacity or mass your Effect can affect. Making it a Feature that actually doubles a PC's mass is not in the Handbook (may be in a Power Profile), but I think it is a reasonably logical corollary to the modifier.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e


Return to “DC Adventures”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests