Some questions.

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Some questions.

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:46 am

1) If a character fails two times a damage check, what happens? Dazed again? :shock:
When I have new questions I will update.

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Some questions.

Postby Bladewind » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:56 am

First, welcome to the Tank !

One degree of failure causes a -1 to future Toughness checks until the character recovers.

The dazed (and other) conditions are the result of failing a check by more than one degree and last for verying amounts of time.

Character A and Character B are taking turns slugging each other in the face. So long as they make their saves, they continue and everyone around them cringes. The moment one fails a a save everything changes. That person is then more like to fail the next save. So long as they continue to save, they continue to fight.

If a subsequent check is failed by 10 or more, then the dazed comes into effect.

If a check is failed by 15 or more the character is staggered

Failing by 20 or more knocks you out.

No matter how you slice it, the first three degrees of failure also give you a cumulative -1 penalty to your next roll. (Not -3 for three degrees of failure. I fail the first check by 4, I have a -1 the next round. The next round I fail by 11 I have another -1 plus I`m dazed.)

Hope that helps !

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:22 am

So, how long last the dazed condition?

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:26 am

Until the end of your next turn.

I don`t have my books in front of me, but I do know that the M&M book (as opposed to the DC Adventures book) has a table (which is in the GM screen panels as well) that tells you how long they last. Otherwise the DCA has it written but I don`t remember where off hand.

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:42 am

I'm stupid. I've the table in front of me and it's written that. Thanks! :mrgreen:

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:46 am

lol.

You`re not stupid. It`s not the type of book you read cover to cover. You read the bits that are interesting and eventually you`ve read the whole thing. Problem is, gaps get created and filled at different intervals.

Either way, glad to help.

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:00 am

But if I fail two damage checks of 2 degrees before my next turn (from two enemies, for example), what happens?

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:04 am

Nothing extra. The Dazed conditions don't stack.

If you failed two checks by three degrees, however, the two Staggered conditions would stack, and you'd become Incapacitated.

Bladewind wrote:You`re not stupid. It`s not the type of book you read cover to cover. You read the bits that are interesting and eventually you`ve read the whole thing. Problem is, gaps get created and filled at different intervals.

Which, if you ask me, is all the more reason to read the book cover to cover. More than once.

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:08 am

Yeah, but I'm Italian, so some things took me time to understand. :lol:

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:08 am

That's ok. There are plenty of native English speakers (myself included) who took a while to get how the rules work, and questions still come up from time to time.

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:13 am

Arthur Eld wrote:Nothing extra. The Dazed conditions don't stack.

If you failed two checks by three degrees, however, the two Staggered conditions would stack, and you'd become Incapacitated.

Small point of order - you would get two -1 penalties though. Those do stack.

Arthur Eld wrote:Which, if you ask me, is all the more reason to read the book cover to cover. More than once.

Agreed. :mrgreen:

And then you go and confuse yourself by switching from M&M and DCA where the layout is just different enough and the errata are just fixed enough to cause the equivalent of a brain freeze.

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:22 am

I've read that the speed power is a free action. So, Flash and Superman, to move do not spend a move action?

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:57 am

They do spend the action.

What Speed or Flight as a free action means is that they can use the power freely.

Example, Superman could move at his full Speed and still use another power - like flying or running while carrying a school bus.

Otherwise he'd have to take an action to start moving and another to carry the bus. Were that the case, the fastest man alive would be the slowest to respond!

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:00 am

Is 1 on resistence check or damage check an automatic fail?

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Black Mamba » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:04 am

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:Is 1 on resistence check or damage check an automatic fail?

Rolling a 1 on an Attack Check is a Critical Miss - and you automatically miss the target. Rolling a 1 on any other type of Check is simply rolling a 1.

As far as the Free Action, think about it this way: Superman can fly outside of Lex Luthor's window by just hovering in place. It takes a Free Action for him to maintain that Flight. If he were to be Stunned the Free Action would stop and he would fall to the street below. If he actually moves when using Flight then he is doing a Move Action. Otherwise he is just doing a Free Action to keep the power working.
In this world of armchair bloggers, who've created a generation of critics instead of leaders, I'm actually doing something. Right here. Right now; for the city. For my country" - Oliver Queen, Smallville

Return to “DC Adventures”