Some questions.

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Re: Some questions.

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:43 pm

So, this increasing of density is applied even to knockback?

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:04 pm

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:So, this increasing of density is applied even to knockback?
Each rank of Increased Mass gives a +1 to resist Trips or Knockback. The optional Knockback rules in the GM Guide already mention using features involving extra weight to reduce Knockback value.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Monolith » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:34 am

JDRook wrote:Let me make sure I'm clear. I'm recommending putting the Regen outside of the Variable effect; if it was part of the Variable it would definitely not need a limit.

Sorry. I must have misread you. As a stand alone ability outside of the variable it's a fine build choice.

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:54 pm

If a character takes for two times the third degree of damage, he's incapacitated, but if he have regeneration, there are situations in which this rules doesn't applies?

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Monolith » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:27 pm

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:If a character takes for two times the third degree of damage, he's incapacitated, but if he have regeneration, there are situations in which this rules doesn't applies?

No. The rule still applies. The character would be unconscious and would need to regenerate all his penalties first. Then he could regenerate the incapacitated.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:34 pm

Monolith wrote:The rule still applies. The character would be unconscious and would need to regenerate all his penalties first. Then he could regenerate the incapacitated.

This is the difference between the Healing and Regeneration effects. Healing always starts at the "worst" condition, and so would recover things like Dying and Incapacitated first. Regen specifically recovers Toughness penalties first and then goes from worst condition. If Regen didn't do this, then a PC with Regen 10 could never be out for more than a round, which would be unbalanced and annoying.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My Rules Musings in 3e

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:46 am

Ok, but a character without penalities takes the third degree of damages and recovers the -1 and the condition with regeneration 20 during his turn, then the next opponent's turn he takes again the third degree of damage, so he's incapacitated?

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:07 pm

Ugh, Regen 20.

I assume by 3rd Degree Damage you mean the Staggered Condition, which becomes Incapacitated when it stacks.

If your Regen 20 PC takes one shot and fails by 3 degrees, he is Staggered plus the -1 Toughness. If those are the only Conditions he has, both will be removed at end of his turn, meaning the actions he takes during his turn will still be affected by the both conditions before they are removed. However, once he recovers from both, they are gone and the Staggered would not stack.

This means it is impossible to Incapacitate anyone with Regen 20 for more than one round in a straight 1-on-1 fight using pure Damage unless you use Extra Effort or some other kind of outside influence. As a GM I would never allow a PC to have that much regen (many find 10 ranks troublesome enough), and wouldn't even give it to an NPC unless it was a huge boss that I intended to fight an entire team at once by itself.

My Rules Musings in 3e

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:49 am

JDRook wrote:If your Regen 20 PC takes one shot and fails by 3 degrees, he is Staggered plus the -1 Toughness. If those are the only Conditions he has, both will be removed at end of his turn, meaning the actions he takes during his turn will still be affected by the both conditions before they are removed.

At the end of his turn? :shock: It does not say this.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:50 am

In the first few pages of Chapter 8: Action & Adventure (top of p185 in the original 3e Handbook, p237 in the Deluxe) there is a section called Ending Your Turn. It specifies that the end of turn is when resistance checks to ongoing effects are made. I interpret Regeneration as a automatically successful resistance check to the ongoing effects of Damage. Regen also requires no action, being always active and therefore not in direct control by the PC, unlike say Healing. If Regen happened at any other time in the turn order, it could be used to make the PC effectively immune to Damage Conditions, recovering from the condition before it can possibly take effect, making Regen even more powerful and more unbalanced for very little cost. Even though it is not explicitly spelled out in the rules it is for these reasons that I believe Regen always happens at the end of the Regenerator's turn.

My Rules Musings in 3e

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:31 pm

Infact a character with regeneration 20 is very hard to defeat. Thanks for the help.
I've other questions.
1) Can an a character have Favored Environment: Air, so, when he flies, he gets the bonuses?
2) Favored Environment bonuses can overcome PL limits?
3) When hero points reset? When players start another game session, or that happens only when start another new adventure, with new missions or another game master?
4) Can be used an hero point for re-roll a die after the use of the luck advantage?

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Monolith » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:16 pm

1) Yes
2) Yes. It's a circumstance bonus
3) The book recommends at the start of each game session. "Use them or lose them."
4) Yes, hero points can be used after luck. Hero points take no time, they are reaction, and you can use 1 or all that you have in a round.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:20 pm

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:1) Can an a character have Favored Environment: Air, so, when he flies, he gets the bonuses?

There was some discussion about this, and for balance I think there should be a little more definition as to when the Favored Environment (FE) comes into play. It would be unbalancing for a flyer to be able to hover a few inches off the ground, call that "flying" and get a PL-breaking bonus for one point. It would be like if a PC with FE: Water got the same bonus for standing in a puddle AND had the ability to make that puddle whenever he wanted, since it's usually rare in a superhero setting not to have a good deal of air and moving space around.

One suggestion for balance is for the bonus to only be in effect if the combatants are both (or all) in the Environment. In this case, the flyer would need to engage an opponent in the air to get the bonus. This would keep FE from being used to sniper shoot targets outside of the environment (flyers hitting ground targets, swimmers targeting surface targets, woodfolk targeting plainsfolk or vice versa).

My Rules Musings in 3e

insaniac99
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby insaniac99 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:10 am

I interpret FE: Flying to mean you have to be in an area free of most obstructions, with plenty of room to maneuver; typically well above roof-top level.

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:59 pm

Thanks, I've other questions.
1) Can a character have a power that overcome his PL? So, a PL 10, can have strike 30, for example, even if he's limited to a 20 total with the combination of attack and effect?
2) How can it be managed in the game Superman that go near the sun for recharge his power? He gain a PP for the complication?
3) If I wish to take the luck advantage, and I'm PL 11, I can have 5 or 6 ranks?

Return to “DC Adventures”