Secret Wars in DC Universe

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Secret Wars in DC Universe

Postby Foreshadow » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:38 pm

If you were going to run a Secret Wars type scenerio but use DC characters which would you use?

I think the ratio in the actual secret wars was 17 heroes (some of which were X-Men) and 13 villains not including Galactus and Magneto which were both 'villains' but Galactus was nothing more than a plot device, and Magneto I think switched sides. So build your list as you see fit.

Perhaps a good even number would be 15 vs 15. If you want a cosmic entity as a plot device, don't put him as a 'team' member, he is a plot device within the story. We'll say Spectre is there but he is neither a hero or a villain.

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Secret Wars in DC Universe

Postby Black Mamba » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:17 pm

Honestly, I think most of the iconic hero characters are in the JLA, JSA, and Teen Titans. Any combination taken from that group would be fine on the hero side.

Likewise, in DC, most of the iconic villains tend to be the major foes of the heroes, so it is just a question of mixing and matching. You would certainly need Darkseid in there, and probably the Anti-Monitor as the Beyonder.
In this world of armchair bloggers, who've created a generation of critics instead of leaders, I'm actually doing something. Right here. Right now; for the city. For my country" - Oliver Queen, Smallville

Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Earth-Two_Kenn » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:08 pm

Here's a couple of partial lists....

Heroes: Superman, Batman, Robin, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Captain Marvel, Flash, Green Lantern, Plastic Man, Hawkman, Atom, Green Arrow

Villains: Lex Luthor, Joker, Penguin, Cheetah, Black Manta, Dan Didio, Dr. Sivana, Professor Zoom, Sinistro, Gorilla Grodd

To actually make it to 15, I'm hard pressed to say whether Black Canary is more or less iconic than J'onn J'onzz, or if Zatanna is more iconic than Dr. Fate, Black Lightning more iconic than Firestorm, Swamp Thing more icoonic than... etc.

With the villains, probably the most iconic after these would be Brainiac, Mxyzptlk, and any of a plethora of Bat-villains.

Darkseid is definitely a cosmic entity.

Sorry the Heroes list looks like a Justice League/Superfriends line-up, but "most iconic" kind of falls right in that neighbourhood.
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:19 pm

Well if you want to capture the feel of Secret Wars, then you definitely need to team up heroes that don't usually work together. So sure, maybe four or five big names from the Justice League, but then you're going to want to spread out from there. DC is harder than Marvel in this regard because so many heroes have been JL members over time.

That's what I remember about Secret Wars. Prior to it, I was pretty much Spidey only fan. I read Secret Wars to find out about Spidey's new costume (a let down in that regard, by the way) but I did read about other heroes, and started reading X-Men and Avengers - which I believe is the goal in any crossover.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:03 pm

Ooh... who gets the eventual Venom symbiote in such a scenario? I'd want it to be Bats... if only for the fun of designing the villain when he decides to rid himself of the suit...

Flying Cobra
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Flying Cobra » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:28 pm

This would be workable, I think- especially if they are plucked from different time periods

Heroes

Captain America--------Nightwing (Batman, if you must, but Nightwing has more of the social skills)
    Cap Marvel II-------------Captain Atom
    Hawkeye------------------Green Arrow
    Iron Man-------------------Steel
    She-Hulk------------------Wonder Woman
    Thor-----------------------Superman (the sun should be orange)
    Wasp----------------------Black Canary
    Thing----------------------Robotman
    Human Torch-------------Negative Man
    Mister Fantastic----------Elasti-Woman
    Spider-Man----------------Superboy (the clone who doesn't get along with Supes)
    Spider-Woman II---------Wonder Girl (Cassie after first gaining the powers)
    Hulk-----------------------Black Adam (JSA "ally")
    Colossus-------------------Citizen Steel
    Cyclops--------------------Stargirl
    Nightcrawler-------------Sand
    Professor X---------------King Chimera
    Rogue---------------------Power Girl
    Storm---------------------Cyclone
    Wolverine----------------Hourman
    Lockheed-----------------Frankie
    Magneto------------------Magog

Villains

Absorbing Man-------------Bizarro
    Doctor Doom--------------Lex Luthor
    Doctor Octopus-----------Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man
    Enchantress---------------Circe
    Kang-----------------------Epoch
    Klaw-----------------------Sonar
    Lizard---------------------Killer Croc
    Molecule Man-------------Doctor Alchemy
    Titania--------------------Giganta
    Ultron---------------------Brainiac
    Volcana-------------------Heatstroke
    Bulldozer-----------------Coldsnap
    Piledriver-----------------New Wave
    Thunderball--------------Shakedown
    Wrecker------------------Windfall

Galactus------------------Darkseid

The Argent Protector
Comrade
Comrade

Postby The Argent Protector » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:59 am

Bladewind wrote:Ooh... who gets the eventual Venom symbiote in such a scenario? I'd want it to be Bats... if only for the fun of designing the villain when he decides to rid himself of the suit...

This. Yes this. This is an awesome idea. I would love to read a comic based around Batman ridding himself of the Venom Suit and seeing what kind of villain it would go on to become without him. :D

Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Earth-Two_Kenn » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:49 am

Azrael (the Winged Man), Diamond Jack, Goldstar II (Trixi Collins), Icarus, Master Man, Mister Muscles, Moonbow, Nature Boy, Onyx, Patriot, Powerman, Spider Widow, Starman (Will Payton), Swashbuckler, T'omm J'onzz, Wild Dog, Wonder Boy
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:53 am

Black Mamba wrote:Honestly, I think most of the iconic hero characters are in the JLA, JSA, and Teen Titans. Any combination taken from that group would be fine on the hero side.

Actually i'd probably go the opposite way. Go the mid tier, no longer have a book style characters. Star & S.T.R.I.P.E for instance... Or Power Company.... Powergirl rather then Superman... In fact no trinity at all. Maybe add in Connor Hawke (Green Arrow), Kyle Rayner, Hourman, Infinity Inc (minus the mental issues), those kinds of characters
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:10 am

The Argent Protector wrote:
Bladewind wrote:Ooh... who gets the eventual Venom symbiote in such a scenario? I'd want it to be Bats... if only for the fun of designing the villain when he decides to rid himself of the suit...

This. Yes this. This is an awesome idea. I would love to read a comic based around Batman ridding himself of the Venom Suit and seeing what kind of villain it would go on to become without him. :D

Come to think of it, I think maybe Nightwing would also work for this scenario. I think Dick might be more susceptible to the suit at the outset, and then the resulting Venom would still have all the knowledge regarding the Bat Clan...

HappyDaze
Luminary
Luminary

Postby HappyDaze » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:10 am

Bladewind wrote:
The Argent Protector wrote:

Come to think of it, I think maybe Nightwing would also work for this scenario. I think Dick might be more susceptible to the suit at the outset, and then the resulting Venom would still have all the knowledge regarding the Bat Clan...

Couldn't this be done as a Reach Scarab rather than going the Marvel route?

Flying Cobra
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Flying Cobra » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:21 am

You would have to have the Trinity, since Secret Wars was basically a long-form advertising campaign for the toy line Marvel wanted produced. Sadly, that does mean you'd have to go with Batman instead of Nightwing.... Also, I endorse the Reach tech instead of symbiote idea, but if you absolutely have to have the black costume, it really should go to Superboy. It just works better that way.

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:48 pm

Both good ideas. And since IIRC there are aslo Black Scarabs... I still think that it would make an amazing Venom analogue after the fact. Especially if Bats or Nightwing used the Scarab but eventually rejected it...

Horsenhero
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Horsenhero » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:04 pm

Personally, I'm not fond of the idea, and here's why:

The Reach is already getting a lot of play in the DCU and replicant Scarabs have already been introduced (the Black Beetle). When it was originally introduced, the symbiote was a singular entity. Unique. Only later writers came up with the hoard of symbiote "clones", because you can never have too much of a bad idea, I suppose.

I'm not necessarily against the plot twist being something other than a symbiote, but it should be something singular. Reach tech is on the verge of becoming so common you can't swing a dead cat without hitting it. Pretty soon we're going to have a whole "spectrum" of Scarabs to go with the the overdone emotion/color corps.

Develop something new...so that it can be overused and the idea beaten to death on its' own merits (or lack thereof).

greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Postby greycrusader » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:09 pm

Earth-Two_Kenn wrote:Azrael (the Winged Man), Diamond Jack, Goldstar II (Trixi Collins), Icarus, Master Man, Mister Muscles, Moonbow, Nature Boy, Onyx, Patriot, Powerman, Spider Widow, Starman (Will Payton), Swashbuckler, T'omm J'onzz, Wild Dog, Wonder Boy

All right I will play:

Azrael the Winged Man was a minor Titans/Teen Titans figure who had some sort of semi-mythic origin (I think).

Diamond Jack is a Fawcett-comics hero acquired by DC (though he may now be public domain) who never appeared in the modern era; think of Alan Scott sans costume and mask.

Goldstar II was a supporting character in the original Booster Gold series who took over the Goldstar identity and costume when Michael Jon Carter's sister was believed to be dead.

Icarus is a fledgling hero who was murdered by Thanagarian Hawk-Men before he debuted publicly.

Mister Muscles is a Charlton hero bought but never used by DC, same with Nature Boy. The names pretty much give away their power-sets.

Master Man-a pseudo-Superman, see the Diamond Jack entry for his literary origins. Spider Widow likewise, and if I recall correctly, the Spider Widow was also a transvestite crime-fighter (there was one other: Madame Fatale).

Powerman was a robot used by the Siver Age Superman is a typically unnecessary ploy; he was a full-fledged A.I. by the age of Kingdom Come.

Moon Bow is a female archer vigilante who first popped up as part of the Firestorm (Ron Raymond) cast.

Onyx is a bald female African-American crime-fighter who took up the cause of Orpheus, a Batman Family member who proved short-lived.

Swashbuckler I was a Bronze Age character who rode a cycle and used a quarterstaff, and was the great-nephew of the Greg Saunders Vigilante (Cowboy hero); the second Swashbucker is a revived and re-costumed Kirk DePaul (Manhunter VII in DC Canon).

Starman (Will Payton) is basically the interim Starman who wasn't a Knight family member or an alien. His original costume was one of the worst of the modern era.

Wild Dog is a hockey-masked, homemade and cut-rate Punisher rip; his most noted feature was being a crime-fighter in the Quad Cities area.

I admit to ignorance on the DC version of the Patriot, T'omm J'onzz and Wonder Boy. Care to come forward, Kenn?

All my best.
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

Return to “DC Adventures”