Animal Man hasn't complications!

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Animal Man hasn't complications!

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:48 pm

In heroes and villains 1, Animal Man hasn't complications.
Why? Which can be the better?

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Animal Man hasn't complications!

Postby Black Mamba » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:51 pm

Not every NPC has Complications - and many, if not most, of the condensed character examples do not list Complications either. The GM is free to add any Complications he might feel the character has - assuming a player is wanting to use the character in a game.
In this world of armchair bloggers, who've created a generation of critics instead of leaders, I'm actually doing something. Right here. Right now; for the city. For my country" - Oliver Queen, Smallville

Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Earth-Two_Kenn » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:53 pm

Animal Man isn't condensed. It just kind of looks like they were trimmed so the picture could fit.

That said, the thing about Animal Man is that his adventures tend to be all over the board. His time with the Forgotten Heroes is very different than his time as an animal rights activist is very different than the year he spent in space with Adam Strange and Starfire.

His one consistent Complication is his sense of love and duty to Ellen, Maxine and Cliff (wife and children).

Anything else would depend on when in his career you have him be when you use him. Almost anything related to animal rights or whomever is this year's arch-nemesis would probably work.
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net

Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Earth-Two_Kenn » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:55 pm

Or, you could address that Buddy and his family were probably still living in San Diego when "Sub Diego" happened and invent even more complications for him.

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Black Mamba » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:16 pm

Earth-Two_Kenn wrote:Animal Man isn't condensed.

Sorry. I did not meant to imply that Animal Man is a condensed sheet. I was attempting to say there are many characters in the DC volumes which are condensed sheets and so it is not uncommon in the books to see characters without Complications. :?
In this world of armchair bloggers, who've created a generation of critics instead of leaders, I'm actually doing something. Right here. Right now; for the city. For my country" - Oliver Queen, Smallville

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:47 am

Condensed heroes can have a way for earn hero points?

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:14 am

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:Condensed heroes can have a way for earn hero points?

^_^ Of course. The GM just has to make more up for them.

greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Postby greycrusader » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:00 pm

I would suggest the following as Complications for Mr. Buddy Baker:

Family Man: Animal Man is devoted to the well-being of his wife and children.

The Past Is Not Certain: The reality of Animal Man's origin and background seem to shift from time to time.

Reluctant Crusader:Buddy Baker often finds himself caught up in greater causes, such as animal rights, inter-dimensional calamities, or mystical conflicts.

I tried to make the above complications broad enough to encompass most of Buddy Baker's fairly long and varied history. I honestly doubt his write-up intentionally lacked Complications, this was likely just a mistake in the final proofreading/editing stage, i.e., human error.

All my best.
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Postby Foreshadow » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:50 am

How about:

What's That Smell! Animal Man assumed the abilities of an animal and somehow there is still a lingering odor around Buddy

:wink:

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Black Mamba » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:23 pm

Foreshadow wrote:How about:

What's That Smell! Animal Man assumed the abilities of an animal and somehow there is still a lingering odor around Buddy

:wink:

Animal Man does not smell funny, so you stop picking on him you big bully!! :mrgreen:

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:01 am

So, there are other things that aren't added.
Why Aquaman hasn't his trident? Why Superman and Flash haven't regeneration?

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:09 am

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:So, there are other things that aren't added.

Do they normally have regeneration? And I want to say that the Aquaman entry, at least in H&V, has a note about how to modify the entry for when he did have his trident. Outside of that, building a particular comic book hero generally involves picking a particular version. You may have a different version in mind, but that's easy enough to fix. :)

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Black Mamba » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:29 am

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:So, there are other things that aren't added.

The builds in DCA are not specific to any particular time period or comic era. They are done to represent Iconic versions of the character as a whole. Historically there have been many times when Aquaman used a Trident; but those adventures generally seemed to be Atlantis-based rather than when he is teamed with the JLA, IMO.

As far as Regeneration, it is important to understand how quickly you can recover in 3E once a combat ends - or by simply using the Recovery Action. It is also important to understand that M&M is Effects-based and so Superman's Toughness Rank can represent not only sheer durability but also the ability to heal low-level injuries quickly. So depending on how you wish to envision it every time Superman makes a Toughness Resistance Check he could be taking Damage and instantly healing it or it could simply be bouncing off his body. It is all in the Descriptor.

Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Earth-Two_Kenn » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:30 am

With Aquaman, for years, he was often shown with a trident in pictures done for advertising, but he never took one with him into combat. And, in the past couple of years, technically speaking, he still hasn't because the weapon he's been carrying has 5 points, not 3.

Also, besides everything that Black Mamba said, on those occasions when Superman or Flash have expressly needed the Regeneration mechanic, it would be a simple matter to powerstunt the Regeneration as an alternate effect off of their Quickness.

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Black Mamba » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:47 am

Earth-Two_Kenn wrote:Also, besides everything that Black Mamba said, on those occasions when Superman or Flash have expressly needed the Regeneration mechanic, it would be a simple matter to powerstunt the Regeneration as an alternate effect off of their Quickness.

In all fairness to the rules Regeneration is a Permanent Effect, and so not technically legal as a Power Stunt. Still, you could do the same thing with Self-Only Healing Power Stunted from Quickness. :)

Return to “DC Adventures”