Suggestions for a challenge

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
BlueBullet
Bystander
Bystander

Suggestions for a challenge

Postby BlueBullet » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:05 am

Ok guys, here again!

About to have another session with my friends, and the ongoing series I've been writing. At this point in the story, The Riddler forces them into a series of challenges in exchange for some valuable information. There are four characters, and four challenges, all orchestrated by Riddler to expose their secrets to one another (up until this point, they've been co-existing as a unit. I'm hoping to change that :D).

One of the heroes, Morpheus, is a master thief with the power to morph into and use the abilities of anyone he encounters (geddit?). He is looking to change his ways, but is hired to take on one last job in Gotham. However his appearance in the city forced the hand of Red Robin. Morpheus gave RR his word that he'd help The Family during the current crisis, and he wouldn't turn him in to the authorities. So far, Morpheus has adopted into his new role, though he has a Compulsive complication, as in he steals for the thrill, but has managed to keep his secret from the other heroes in the party.

For The Riddler's challenge, Morpheus enters a Maze of Mirrors at Amusement Mile. He needs to navigate to the middle of the maze in two minutes (for now, not sure whether to keep it timed), wherein lies the item he was hired to steal in the first place (which will tie in with another hero; a piece of armour for said hero's rival). I'm not entirely sure what kind of roll he would need to make for this, or how many. I've debated not making it a dice roll challenge at all and just drawing a maze he has to navigate in a set time.

So I need your help, guys, how best to set this challenge up, what you all think. These Riddler challenges have been in planning for a while, so I want to make this as fun as I can :)

Doresh
Sidekick
Sidekick

Re: Suggestions for a challenge

Postby Doresh » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:58 pm

Is this one of those classic mazes where you will eventually reach every spot as long as you keep following either the right or left wall? Then I hope he never encountered the Flash, or this riddle is over without a roll :mrgreen:

Are there any means of orientation inside the maze?

BlueBullet
Bystander
Bystander

Postby BlueBullet » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:10 pm

Well, it's a massive mirror maze, so orientation is gonna be the big challenge here. I suppose it could be a Perception Challenge so he doesn't bump into walls or whatever. I've debated having security cameras around, so an additional challenge of not being seen, seeing as Morpheus is a thief (he does have a high stealth rank)

Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Bombaatu » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:46 pm

Hrm - lessee.

The maze changes. A good way to simulate this would be to have the maze have Luck Control, with the 'force re-roll' option. This would be a good way to generate HPs for the player as well as preventing it from being too easy.

The old 'fight duplicates of yourself' trope could work well here - hard-light constructs that step out and do battle. You could also have an opponent *wearing* the armor, meaning he has to defeat him to get it. Watch the 'mirror fight' scene from Conan the Destroyer for ideas/visuals.

Have the 'mirrors' be force fields that can either be completely clear or reflective. The could also have an aura, meaning a failed roll could mean he runs into one and takes damage.

Doresh
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Doresh » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:54 am

If the mirrors are not ordinary mirrors, how about having them modify the reflection, possibly giving a hint which way is the correct one?

Quistar
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Quistar » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:26 pm

You could run it as a straight challenge as per the GM's Guide, with a set DC and the PC needing X successes before getting Y failures. A bit mechanical but it would work.

- Andrew <:-(}

BlueBullet
Bystander
Bystander

Postby BlueBullet » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:07 am

Hello again! Sorry for the lack of response, guys, last few weeks have been dreadful on my end.

Have thought some more about the challenge, and I really do like the 'hard light' constructs idea, particularly since Morpheus is a metamorph, could have it that each construct takes on the image of those he's copied before.

Was thinking of having it be a Perception Challenge in order to navigate the maze, 3-5 rolls. A success would be continued navigation around the maze, whilst a failure would result in them becoming lost. Two degrees of failure results in a fight with a construct.

So a question now is if the constructs come under a Summon power?

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Black Mamba » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:14 am

BlueBullet wrote:So a question now is if the constructs come under a Summon power?

Constructs can be Summoned but often they are purchased as Minions. If they appear out of the blue then they are generally Summoned. If they are constructs which happened to be in the Base then they are Minions.

I have a Green Lantern in my Justice League Unlimited game who often Power Stunts his Create to Summon Energy Animals to fight for him - he makes green energy lions or bears.
In this world of armchair bloggers, who've created a generation of critics instead of leaders, I'm actually doing something. Right here. Right now; for the city. For my country" - Oliver Queen, Smallville

BlueBullet
Bystander
Bystander

Postby BlueBullet » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:29 am

Ok, sounds good. I imagine they'd come under Minions, seeing as they are already in the maze and whatnot. I'm looking through Mirror Master's powers to get an idea of what to do. There's 'Copy Person', which is a Summon Reflection, which could work well character wise.

So far, Morpheus has Red Robin, Damien Wayne's Robin and Poison Ivy as part of his metamorph ability. So three failures, three different constructs to fight. DC is set at 20 for each roll, and with his abilities, he'd need a roll of 13 or more to successfully navigate the maze.

Think I have almost everything. Just need to get the Constructs sorted

Goldar
Disciple
Disciple

Postby Goldar » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:48 pm

BlueBullet wrote:Hello again! Sorry for the lack of response, guys, last few weeks have been dreadful on my end.

Welcome back. I Hope your end is feeling better. :lol:

I really liked the idea of this mirrored maze. Different, confusing, frustrating and even a risk to one's emotional well-being, especially if they start to feel disoriented and claustrophobic! Sounds like something the Riddler (and even Joker) would do!

You will have to let us know how things turn out "on your end." :wink:

Return to “DC Adventures”