Running a DC Adventures Post Apocalyptic world...

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
Phantoms-Heart
Bystander
Bystander

Running a DC Adventures Post Apocalyptic world...

Postby Phantoms-Heart » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:28 am

Recently, some of my players expressed an interest in me running a sort of Elseworlds Superhero Campaign set in the DC universe, and I have, with much support on this idea, come up with a setting, which I will describe to you now:

It is the DC Universe, but one day something went wrong. One day, for reasons unknown, evil won. The heros were either killed broken, captured, bargained off, trapped, any number of things, but the end result was the villains, after laying waste to the world, won.

We are now fifty years into the future, where parts of the world have become a rather post apocalyptic state. Citys are either abandoned without much power with people picking off the scraps of a better age. Some have resorted to farming community's, others to desert raiders in the wastelands left from super powered battles long ago. Gotham City is crumbling, without the Dark Knight the city has gone mad, becoming possessed by gangs following their namesakes. Metropolis still stands, a shining example of human potential, locked away in a great dome of technology far beyond what is available now.

No one sails the seas, for it is far too dangerous to tempt the wrath of the monsters that dwell in within its depths. Magic is rarely practiced, something as simple as a locating spell could earn the wrath of the new master of the rock of eternity and be struck down with a bolt of lighting for daring to use magic without his blessing.

The gods are long dead, with no one believing in them anymore to fuel their power, save for one, who survives only by the constant skirmishes for survival and land that sexists in the world. Gods Vengeance is confused and unable to make decisions as to who should be punished as the world itself is broken. A stranger watches the world, as he always has, waiting for something....

That is where my players come in, the first of a new generation of soon to be superheros, coming from their respective homes for whatever reasons and are destined to make great changes of this world...for good or ill...that will remain to be seen.

As you can see, this is a Post Apocalyptic DC universe with a number of themes from other Elseworlds. What I'm asking if for you kind folks to give your opinions on some of the things I have already set up in the world *Which I will be telling you what I've decided on in the next post* and to have a few ideas of your own. I feel with a community like this, you would probobly have a LOT of ideas on what a post apocalyptic world in the DC universe would be like based on things you have read, character history's, and many other things. Let me know what you think! I'll see you after I'm done typing what I have already set in the universe.

Phantoms-Heart
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Running a DC Adventures Post Apocalyptic world...

Postby Phantoms-Heart » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:29 am

As Promised, what I have so far, I'll start with some general things, and then I will go with the Two Big Cities I have finished up on so far.

In General:

Where to begin....Well, this will be quick, I'll tell you how things are and maybe a little as to why it is, but as I haven't worked out ALL the details, some things are up in the air. Magic is in dire straights, as said before, people casting a locating spell get zapped by BLACK ADAM who after killing Captain Marvel (Or Shazam, whatever) and Taking the Wizards power for himself, is on the rock of Eternity, hording magic for himself. The Helm of Nabu is lost and buried, drained of a large portion of its magical power, the spirit within dormant. Osiris and Isis still remain on earth, leading their people with their newly enhanced power.

The Green Lantern Corps have abandoned Earth, the Guardians believing that it was a mistake to give the ring to such savage creatures as they watched the world fall apart, and essentially recalled the rings given to resident green lanterns there and declaring earth a 'NO FLY ZONE' so to speak, Earth becoming a non-exsistant entity in the Corps Wars.

The Island of Themyscira is in ruins, the power the gods had there having died with them, the creatures once held within it loose upon the world, and Ares the only God remaining, though a lot weaker then before.

This is what I've gotten to so far with the in general stuff, which as you can see, has a lot more things that it needs expanding in, which now brings me to my two Cities that I am pretty solid on so far the first being the home of the Caped Crusader.....

Phantoms-Heart
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Phantoms-Heart » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:29 am

Gotham City:

With the Fall of the Dark Night and his protoges (Save Barbra) Gotham City quickly fell apart. Over time, it essentially became a far more brutal version of the 'No Mans Land' storyline. Gotham City itself is divided up into different Territory's, not all of which are held by the original owners anymore, as with fifty years gone by, many of the original holders are dead or nearing their end.

Joker is still alive, barley, being in his 90's have left him wheelchair bound with a new girl being 'hired' to come in and care for him, all the while being brainwashed into becoming his new Harley Quinn, before killing them because they couldn't get the joke. Thin and weak as he is in his old age, he has lost none of his cunning, and his insanity has only gotten worse (Or better? who's to say) He watches over the city from Arkham Asylum, his Palace, remembering the good old days of how him and Batman would duke it out for the soul of the city, now watching his gang cause mayhem within the gang territory's.

Two Face is Dead, having been replaced with a woman who wears the coin on a chain around her neck as a symbol of her leadership, killing with ruthless efficiency, but with little to no of the same binary quandary that her predecessor had. There are some though, that are plotting to take over from within, but they follow for now, as she has protected and provided for them thus far, but that coin is in their minds, if they can get the coin...they get to be leader.

Scarecrow was Crushed under some rocks, but a gang with a predilection for chemical use other then the Jokers gang has picked up the masks and become 'The Scarecrows' using fear and gurella tactics to gain territory and supplies.

The GCPD is still around, though now a gang themselves, lead by Barbra Gordan, the voted in Commissioner after her Father passed away. A fair individual if now rather hardened by the events of the past fifty years, she holds onto the knowledge of a dark secret that would compromise EVERYTHING the batman legacy once stood for.

Killer Croc lives in the sewers, having in this time given over to his bestial nature, and has a family. No one goes into the sewers, as no one wishes to end up as croc bait. People also lock their doors and close their windows at night, as Flocks of Man-Bats fly out over the city into the wastelands in search of easy prey.

The Penguin is gone, replaced by another who has assumed the name and works as an information broker between gangs. His 'birds' are everywhere, feeding him with information which he will share...for a price.

Mr. Freeze is the only truly neutral force in Gotham, having created himself a Fortress of Ice in the Gotham City Harbor, where he continues to work daily at trying to find a cure for his Wife. He is running out of time, unless he can get new technology into the city in the next ten years, Nora will be lost forever.

Poison Ivy is nowhere to be found, having left the city decades ago, although there is now rumors of a forest in the wastelands, a forest that walks. Riddler is Dead, though there is a whole three block section of the City no one goes into because no one can survive the death traps he set up there years and years ago. No one has made it past the first three riddles.

Inside the Depths of Wayne Manor, with the last Lazerus Pit deep in what was once the batcave, the Immortal Ras Al Ghul is turning his sites to the destruction of Metropolis. He is training new soldiers, his elite of the elite becoming known as 'The Batmen' in honor of the memory of his Fallen foe. However, this is not the Ras Al Ghul everyone knows, for you see, Bruce Wayne didn't Die the day evil won. He was forced to watch his city torn apart, as Ras Al Ghul stood beside him, forcing him to acknowlage that he, The Immortal Ras Al Ghul was right all along. Broken and rebuilt from the experience, Bruce Wayne succeeded Ras as the Demons Head, and taking on the name and Appearance of Ras Al Ghul, leads the League of assassins with brutal efficiency and new found purpose. Gotham is no longer a concern, falling apart as it was meant to, and now Metropolis, the only remaining true city, must fall, with the ever faithful Jason Todd the BEST of his Batmen. In the Shadows, the real Ras Al Ghul watches, allowing himself to grow old and weak, to see if Bruce truly has the fortitude to be able to carry his dream through even after his death. Once he is certain in Bruces true conversion, then Ras Al Ghul will finally rest in peace.

Only one person outside the League of Assasins knows the truth of what happened that day, and thats Barbra Gordon. The Joker Suspects, and hints, having seen the Batmen jump from roof tops, about how his Batsy used to run around with like dressed imposters and boys in tights, and how things never seem to really change.

So there you have it...at least, a good portion of Gotham City. and now onto Lex's shining Gem...

Phantoms-Heart
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Phantoms-Heart » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:30 am

Metropolis:

The shining gem of Metropolis has been taken over by Lex Luthor, who, after banishing every single kryptonian on the planet to the Phantom Zone and erecting the dome around the city to protect it from the outside world, while subsequently keeping everyone within the city IN. With a combination of Braniac and Kryptonian technology, along with his own genius and deviousness, Lex Luthor had declared himself dictator for life.

Fifty Years later, the city has been completely changed, the height of technology in the entire world. People have been brainwashed into loving their benevolent dictator, who encourages them to consider genetic enhancement to become the perfect human beings. Parents are encouraged to when deciding to have children, to pick the best genetic traits for their children, the ones that will make them the perfect member of society. Everyone has their place in Metropolis, everyone raised from birth with the best education and the best benefits one could ask for. Members outside the norm is met with the efficient police force, who all wear variations of Lex's powersuit all the way to the most recent Mark VII model, for 'reprogramming' and 'reintegration' into society.

Lex himself doesn't look older then his earlier forty's, even having grown hair, which he wears in a long ponytail. He is their loving Dictator, who keeps his people safe and is constantly coming up with new technology and benefits for his people, all the while making sure his world runs smoothly and without issue.

Lex, secretly, has actually created himself into HIS idea of the perfect man, a Superman. After spending 30 years of research, he has managed to give him all of the powers of a Kryptonian, with the only weaknesses being magic and the need for yellow sunlight. Lex has not had a chance to really use his new abilitys, but practicing in secret he has full control over his powers to DEADLY effect.

Lex is Also aware that his control over the Brainac Technology has sent out a beacon into deep space, and is not looking forward to what might be coming towards his city.

Phantoms-Heart
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Phantoms-Heart » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:31 am

And thats what I have so far. Let me know your ideas, concerns, hopes, dreams, desires, whatever you feel about these ideas. I look forward to hear what you have to say and what you can add to this world.

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:49 am

Nicely thought out.

I see some Brotherhood of the Bat, Distant Fires and others out there...

I`m curious what really happened to Bruce - did he convert or is he biding his time... ? Is Superman really banished, or was he stripped of his powers and is now beneath Luthor`s notice? (At least until they come back or his child demonstrates his inherited powers...)

Nicely done.

Phantoms-Heart
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Phantoms-Heart » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:02 pm

Bladewind wrote:Nicely thought out.

I see some Brotherhood of the Bat, Distant Fires and others out there...

I`m curious what really happened to Bruce - did he convert or is he biding his time... ? Is Superman really banished, or was he stripped of his powers and is now beneath Luthor`s notice? (At least until they come back or his child demonstrates his inherited powers...)

Nicely done.

All good questions, and while I will say Bruce did convert in a way, he's not beyond saving. It will be up to the players to see if they can bring him out of whatever funk hes in, or at the very least sort of 'reboot' him into a 'Batman of Zur-En-Arrh' mode to somewhat remember himself. Or it might not happen at all, I'm leaving a lot of player choice as to what happens.

As far as superman goes, sad to say he really IS in the Phantom Zone, but hes working on finding a way back. Now, I should mention I actually figured out something I was going to do with Metropolis, and that there is a secret 'terrorist' organization that call themselves 'The Children of Steel' who are working on exposing and overthrowing Lex Luthor, being lead by the Granddaughter of John Henry Irons. They haven't been able to succeed, but also Lex hasn't been able to find them by 'conventional' means yet. He much prefers using his brain to his new powers, and would rather prove he's smarter then them by letting them make a mistake he can exploit. Metropolis is still getting some work done on it, and so are a lot of areas.

Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Earth-Two_Kenn » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:41 am

Phantoms-Heart wrote:It is the DC Universe, but one day something went wrong. One day, for reasons unknown, evil won. The heros were either killed broken, captured, bargained off, trapped, any number of things, but the end result was the villains, after laying waste to the world, won.

And it was called "the New 52".
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net

mattador
Comrade
Comrade

Postby mattador » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:55 am

All sounds very cool. Are you planning on starting out the players in the Gotham area? Just guessing since that seems to be fleshed out the most. I like all the gangs, and I foresee as a monkey wrench in the workings of Gotham a yellow power ring falling into the hands of the Scarecrow leader at some point...

A couple things that I would want to find out in the world:
Is Atlantis still around? Seas are too dangerous to travel, is that because of something that happened there?
Is anyone in control of the Fortress of Solitude? Lex's property or abandoned for the last 50 years?
What the heck is in the middle of the Riddler Zone?

The Argent Protector
Comrade
Comrade

Postby The Argent Protector » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:15 am

mattador wrote:What the heck is in the middle of the Riddler Zone?

YES! I want to know this as well. (Evil Grin)

JonL
M&M Developer
M&M Developer

Postby JonL » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:55 pm

I heartily endorse a post-apocalyptic DC game!

Awesome idea!
Best regards,

Jon Leitheusser
M&M Line Developer
DC Adventures Line Developer
That's all I got.

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:12 pm

BTW.. have you read Distant Fires? Another good source for this one...

Return to “DC Adventures”