Running a game today

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
ryanlogan
Bystander
Bystander

Running a game today

Postby ryanlogan » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:05 am

hi everybody i'm running a DC Adventures 3e game later today. There will be 2 players both of which have never played a RPG before. I was thinking of throwing some thugs at them and maybe a PL 12 boss at the end. Any tips and hints for someone who has had the same scenario and what they did? I've also been wanting to know how high of a PL boss is too high for 2 PL10 characters?

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Running a game today

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:53 am

There's a rough system here. As bizarre as it might sound, a PL 12 villain stands a decent chance of wiping out your players if they're not careful. My experience is that a lot of it comes down to tactics, rolls, and how freely Hero Points and fiat are used. Don't be afraid to let your PL 12 villain escape with some or all of the loot if the PCs are getting thrashed. Similarly, don't be afraid to fiat him running off with his hands empty if they get the upper hand and you don't want him taken in just yet.

ryanlogan
Bystander
Bystander

Postby ryanlogan » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:15 am

very good idea indeed I may just do that.

What first time encounters have you guys came up with that was light a fun for new players?

xquel
Bystander
Bystander

Postby xquel » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:41 pm

I started my group off with a bank robbery. 2 pl 10 villans and 12 thugs for 6 pl 10 heros. It was a short & sweet simple encounter. Took more time explaining how to make characters and trying to explain why people were actually in a bank in the modern world.
"United we stand! Divided we fall!" - Rally Cry of the Untied Heroes of the World.

"If the GM is smiling, it is already too late."

ursinethemadbear
Zealot
Zealot

Postby ursinethemadbear » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:34 pm

A nice villian game I was in started with us trashing the Teen Titans.
Life is what happens while I am busy gaming.
I use DCA, unless I state otherwise, all my posts are for DCA. I assume that 3ed is the same, but might be wrong in specific areas.

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Greyman » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:08 am

Remember that even a total defeat may be only a setback.

Villains rarely take the opportunity to become, effectively, cop killers and may simply flee leaving the team to recover. Or if the villain is the type to actually seek such notoriety, the team will then wake up in an overly convoluted death-trap so it can be recorded for a TV broadcast (or youtube, these days).

There's also the middle ground of just staging an unmasking when the team awakes (because there's no villainy cred in unmasking an unconscious hero). The heroes must escape from their bonds while the henchmen set up the video equipment.

Return to “DC Adventures”