Deflect power level limit

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
ican
Groupie
Groupie

Deflect power level limit

Postby ican » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:50 pm

The book notes that the Deflect power is limited by power level, though I'm confused as to what limits it.
I've seen some builds that seem to allow the power to be 2x power level (usually 20), is this correct?

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Deflect power level limit

Postby Greyman » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:09 pm

ican wrote:The book notes that the Deflect power is limited by power level, though I'm confused as to what limits it.
I've seen some builds that seem to allow the power to be 2x power level (usually 20), is this correct?
No, not quite.

It's explicitly limited to power level, not a multiple of such.

Generally, though, it's considered to be traded off against your Toughness bonus, like Dodge and Parry defenses.
So Deflect + Toughness <= 2x PL.

ican
Groupie
Groupie

Postby ican » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:28 am

Thanks for clarifying Greyman!
That does make sense that that it should be paired with Toughness for the power level limitation.

Brianide
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Brianide » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:23 am

What about if you're Deflecting for an ally, and they have higher Toughness?
Check out my builds and my campaign!

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Greyman » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:56 pm

Brianide wrote:What about if you're Deflecting for an ally, and they have higher Toughness?
Refer to previous discussion on this: Deflect & PL

pawsplay
Zealot
Zealot

Postby pawsplay » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Sunmary, as I understand it:
- Deflect is basically the Defend maneuver, but for a friend
- NPCs aren't PL-limited
- Even if you don't exceed someone's active defense rank, just using the power gives them the same favorable roll as a Defend maneuver, so it never hurts and usually helps
- Create is awesome, and has different advantages and disadvantages compared to conventional defenses
Kickstarter: Tripod Machine presents Do Not Approach (Super-powered by M&M)
http://writeups.org - a big and growing collection of dual-statted character writeups!

Doresh
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Doresh » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:48 am

A minimum roll of 11 is nothing to sneeze at, even if you can't use the full Deflect rank due to PL limits.

There's also the question whether or not the defended character can still make his own defense roll if Deflect failed - though I think that might be a bit too broken :mrgreen:

monele
Henchman
Henchman

Postby monele » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:04 am

Wow... Reading the previous discussion on this was enlightening. And I went from one extreme of the issue to the other in one thread XD. I still don't know how Deflect compares to other effects that may be used for protection/defense, but at least it's now clear what it can and cannot do and how it works.

ican
Groupie
Groupie

Postby ican » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:52 pm

Sorry for bringing up this older post as Greyman summed it up quite nicely for me and I think he's right, but recently Red Tornado was brought to my attention as having a Deflect 11 and a Toughness of 13 (PL12) but he is only a PL11 character. I thinking this may have been a typo of some sort and was curious if anyone else had a opinion about it.

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Black Mamba » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:02 pm

ican wrote:Sorry for bringing up this older post as Greyman summed it up quite nicely for me and I think he's right, but recently Red Tornado was brought to my attention as having a Deflect 11 and a Toughness of 13 (PL12) but he is only a PL11 character. I thinking this may have been a typo of some sort and was curious if anyone else had a opinion about it.

Yes, it is probably in the Errata.

Deflect trades in the Dodge & Parry/Toughness side of things - it replaces Dodge & Parry.
In this world of armchair bloggers, who've created a generation of critics instead of leaders, I'm actually doing something. Right here. Right now; for the city. For my country" - Oliver Queen, Smallville

ican
Groupie
Groupie

Postby ican » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:19 pm

Thanks Black Mamba, it doesn't hurt to check!

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:58 pm

I find it very odd that Deflect is capped against your Toughness when the power is designed to defend other people.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Black Mamba » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:08 pm

kenseido wrote:I find it very odd that Deflect is capped against your Toughness when the power is designed to defend other people.

You are, essentially, giving someone else the use of your maximum Dodge/Parry potential at Range - and all of it is coupled with a Defend Maneuver.

It is less convoluted than the 2E method. I would rather have built it as an AE to your Ranged Damage - you can use your Ranged Damage to Deflect Damage against others somewhat like a Counter - but that would not help characters who lack Ranged Attacks or are Attack-Shifted, like Martial Artists and Costumed Adventurers.
In this world of armchair bloggers, who've created a generation of critics instead of leaders, I'm actually doing something. Right here. Right now; for the city. For my country" - Oliver Queen, Smallville

Doresh
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Doresh » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:52 am

I think it makes sense for balance reasons: The squishier you are, the easier villains can knock you out (preferrably with stuff like Perception and Area attacks) so you stop Deflecting for the rest of your team like a champ :mrgreen:

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:44 am

I'm glad it makes sense to other people, it still doesn't make sense to me.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

Return to “DC Adventures”