Affliction & Bolo's (Tied Up)

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
ican
Groupie
Groupie

Affliction & Bolo's (Tied Up)

Postby ican » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:49 am

Am I understanding Affliction's “Alternate Resistance” correctly relating to things like bolo's?
The way I've been interpreting it is the initial attack is resisted by dodge and the followup resistance
check is resisted by fortitude.

Uthanar
Cohort
Cohort

Re: Affliction & Bolo's (Tied Up)

Postby Uthanar » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:07 pm

Bolas I believe are special rule in that they follow Dodge to resist initially and then Damage or Sleight of Hand after that. That is Snare at least, I don't know if the Bola Equipment is constructed somewhat differently.

Alternate Resistance for Afflictions can change either the initial save or both, depending on the way that you would like to construct the power. Snare is a great example of the second.

ican
Groupie
Groupie

Postby ican » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:13 pm

None of the weapons or powers that I've found state different save resistances, in this case there are several that just say dodge. In the description for Affliction's Alternate Resistance the book states that dodge based resistances are followed up typically by fortitude or will. Which I interpret “typically” as more often then not, especially if it doesn't state the alternative.

I did read Snare and it appears to be the odd “power” out in terms of Afflictions (even the way its written), and if bolos or similar attacks are based off snare then there should be something stating it, but it does make sense that they should be.

ican
Groupie
Groupie

Postby ican » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:05 pm

Okay, through further research bolos are a Snare power, they just weren't stated so under some of the characters like Batman.
Sorry I didn't relate that to your post sooner Uthanar, but you seems to be right on the ball!

One question about Snare, to break out is based on damage (vs power +10 I guess) or Sleight of Hand.
Should Sleight of Hand probably be replaced with Acrobatics as it was in the updated Escape action?

Uthanar
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Uthanar » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:16 pm

Obviously, it is your game and your interpretation. Don't let someone else tell you that you are having bad wrong fun.

I wouldn't think that Acrobatics would be as applicable as Sleight of Hand. While they both have Contorting at DC 30, Sleight of Hand has the Escaping as well. I think that Escaping is going to be a bit more applicable than Contorting when you are tied up by Bolas. I also think that Sleight of Hand is more based on fine motor control than gross body movement, and in my image of getting out of the ties it would rely on fine motor control to try and start slipping the bonds.

I also think that it makes Sleight of Hand more useful than it would be otherwise, while Acrobatics is already useful.

Have a good time tying folks up!

Return to “DC Adventures”