Homebrew Superboy-Prime?

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
Blefuscu
Bystander
Bystander

Homebrew Superboy-Prime?

Postby Blefuscu » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:34 am

Say, has anybody worked up some stats for Superboy Prime in his power-armored, Infinite Crisis I'm-the-king-of-stomping-all-over-your-superhero-faces incarnation? :o

Quistar
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Homebrew Superboy-Prime?

Postby Quistar » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:11 pm

Blefuscu wrote:Say, has anybody worked up some stats for Superboy Prime in his power-armored, Infinite Crisis I'm-the-king-of-stomping-all-over-your-superhero-faces incarnation? :o

I haven't. I'm betting we'll see him in the Universe book, but my best guess is he'll have Superman's stats pumped up to PL 17, since he easily beat Black Adam (PL 16) and was a match for Monarch (PL 17).

- Andrew <:-(}

Raws
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Raws » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:42 pm

I agree... PL17.

I would take the official build of superman, and, upping it to PL17, increase his tradeoffs. I see prime as being less skilled (so lower the attack and defense bonuses), and much more powerfull (raise ST and Toughness).

Maybe something like ST 24/attk 10 or 25/09 for instance. Also, raise his other powers accordingly (2 more levels on speed, heat vision, etc).

On the other hand, take OUT some skills and advantages (younger, less skilled).

Generally I guess this would be in the general ballpark.

Cheers

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Postby Foreshadow » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:22 pm

I'd say 23 strength, powerlifting 4 and DC Heroes superman had the equivalent of 27 strength with a potential high end of 29 and since he has extraordinary effort, PL 17, a 23 strength, 4 powerlifting would achieve that. A 24 could work too, and would result in a final strength of 30 potentially, but I think a 23 works better.

Goldar
Disciple
Disciple

Postby Goldar » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:38 am

Foreshadow wrote:I'd say 23 strength, powerlifting 4 and DC Heroes superman had the equivalent of 27 strength with a potential high end of 29 and since he has extraordinary effort, PL 17, a 23 strength, 4 powerlifting would achieve that. A 24 could work too, and would result in a final strength of 30 potentially, but I think a 23 works better.

Wow, do I likee these uber-high strength levels!

Would this make Superboy Prime the physically strongest DC(A) character?

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Postby Foreshadow » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:42 pm

If you read the spectre the philosophy of Steve and I assume Jon and thus GR is when you deal with characters who can open blackholes and move planets they are by definition PL X so that superboy is that: PL X and thus you won't see stats for him if that is what your hoping for. Like Mr. Myx you'll see a description of him and saying he is to be treated like PL X. But if all the other kryptonians can in fact take him on, then something like the Strength 23 dude might work. 5 point difference in a stat is one level and can make a difference but if you thinkt hat isn't high enough then make him more like strength 27 and thus necessarily PL 19 (or PL 20 if you wish). Then he can have 11 attack. That 10 point difference will put a hurt on some kryptonians. If that is your goal. I say build it and then test it out and see how it goes.

Raws
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Raws » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:52 am

I don't see superboy prime as a PL-X.

He's not invincible, hes only some PLs more powerfull than the other paragons of the setting.

I didnt read all the comics where he is depicted, but, as far as I know, he fought the likes of Monarch (PL17) and Sodam Yat (as Ion) on equal terms (more or less).

Even in infinite crisis, he was contained by the flashes and, after that, by the two supermen.

About the "soft limit", it has been broken before: Monarch has 24 blasts and Doomsday has 22 close damage (its a SOFT limit, after all :-).

Its interesting to note that, as you get closer to the "PL20 soft limit" it becomes increasingly dificult to make characters with any tradeoffs that dont brake the limits in stats.

The planet moving stuff could be handled as the only PL-X trait (Lifting ST), as a plot device, or with some creative mechanics solution Like, I dont know, stunting damage ST to Lifting ST - page 05 of the Power Profile - and adding some 30 or 40 Lifting ST to an array with other powers.

(yes, yes, I'm not creative enough, but I'm not the one designing the character for GR) :-) :-) :-)

If I have some spare time, I'l make a homebrew prime this weekend and I'll post it here for the flames of the forum :-D :-D :-D

Goldar
Disciple
Disciple

Postby Goldar » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:14 am

Yeah, I don't really like the "PLX" idea, unless the character is over 30.

For instance, there is a difference between every level, no matter how large or small, hence why there is a level for it. So an "8" is weaker than a "9" and a "9" is less than a
"10". I believe there is a difference of someone with Strength 23 and a Strength 25 or a Strength of 30. The same holds true for power levels.

To me, the soft cap of 20 should mean that most everyone falls under that number in power levels, powers and/or stats (hence the term "cap"), but since there are more levels up to 30, this leaves room for those of tremendously powerful attributes. And there are characters who need those levels for PL, powers and/or stats. And those levels should have some meaning and have some value. :)

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Postby Foreshadow » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:33 pm

The soft limit is not a damage limit but rather a raw ability score limit. A character like Lady Shiva might have a +22 attack or doomsday a +22 damage but no character is given a raw score more than 20. So Superboy would have a 20 strength and the only thing that would be greater than 20 would be his lifting strength via powerlifting ranks (and say he has more than 4 like superman), or he has some damage bonus that adds to his damage from Strength (which makes no sense for him under normal circumstances), but that is what I'd expect if that soft limit is adhered too.

I see Monarch as basically Omega from the Freedomverse, at least his stats have some parallels.

Yes, if you have a PL 17 character you can easily get a 21 to 24 strength and still have an attack at +10 or higher. So if the goal is to have an 11 attack, then a 23 strength works just fine. And then you can in fact have a score more than 20, but to me the 'soft limit' means a limit by choice. The designer chooses to say no to that and instead Puts down a 20 strength, and has 10 attack and thus can put PL 15 down or if it were PL 17 it would just be under PL limits. Meaning, I see this as a purposeful limiting, and not one that real players would necessarily want to adhere too. So instead the designers just said 'how about just limit the PL we do the characters to 15, as sure their might be some PL 16 characters but they are all non-heros'. Meaning superman and the rest are all PL 15. The soft cap is more easily kept by keeping the PL to 15 or below.

I'd have preferred to just have had a range of official characters that ranged more like PL 18 to PL 6 and someone like Superman be PL 17 and had that 23 strength, no powerlifting. That choice would be equally valid and thus the official set of choices is just that, a set of choices but it is the governing one that saw print. But it is not better or somehow of higher quality.

Return to “DC Adventures”