Mechanics of Superman's throwing ability in combat

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
Blefuscu
Bystander
Bystander

Mechanics of Superman's throwing ability in combat

Postby Blefuscu » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:17 am

This has probably been addressed here...or it's so simple I will be dope slapping myself for asking it, but here goes...

Game mechanically speaking, how does Superman throw something at someone? :|

Much thanks for any and all helpful replies folks?

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Re: Mechanics of Superman's throwing ability in combat

Postby JDRook » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:48 pm

Well, first he picks something up, and being Superman, there are very few things he can't pick up (about 200 ktons, so roughly Empire State Building or Oil Supertanker size). Also, if the something is tethered to the ground with anything less than foot-thick titanium chain, he can probably tear it loose as a routine check, so no roll needed. Picking up something is a Move Action.

Then he throws it at a target. The official build of Superman has no Throwing skill, so he would default to a +2 based on his DEX, although he is likely to throw something big enough to be considered an Area Attack, in which case his attack bonus wouldn't matter. The attack, no matter what it is, would be Damage 19 unless Supes decides to hold back; baseball or battleship, Damage 19*.

If it is small enough to only hit one target, Supes could use a tradeoff maneuver like All-Out or Accurate Attack if he wanted to be more likely to hit. He can also Power Attack, but really, why would he need to?

*EDIT - Area Attack Damage would actually be limited to the attacker's PL, so for Superman that would be 15.
Last edited by JDRook on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:36 pm

Blefuscu wrote:This has probably been addressed here...or it's so simple I will be dope slapping myself for asking it, but here goes...

Game mechanically speaking, how does Superman throw something at someone? :|

Much thanks for any and all helpful replies folks?

As someone who is playing a paragon called Captain Thunder (yes he's a Captain Marvel/Superman pastiche), he can throw things with enough force to do damage. I built that by using an advantage that appears on page 79 of the DCA version of the heroes handbook called: Throwing Mastery.

THROWING MASTERY
You have a +1 damage bonus with thrown weapons per rank in this advantage. You can also throw normally harmless objects—playing cards, pens, paper clips, and so forth—as weapons with a damage bonus equal to your advantage rank and range based on the higher of your advantage rank or Strength (see Ranged in the Powers chapter). Your aximum damage bonus with any given weapon or attack is still limited by power level.

An because i'm awesome i actually built my throwing mastery into a strength based alternate power array, including such classics as the Thunderclap (the power he derives his name from) & the Ground Slam (a power that knocks nearby opponents off there feet).

So i hope that helps you.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

pawsplay
Zealot
Zealot

Postby pawsplay » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:06 pm

As far as I can tell, the mechanics of throwing stuff are never spelled out in the rules.
Kickstarter: Tripod Machine presents Do Not Approach (Super-powered by M&M)
http://writeups.org - a big and growing collection of dual-statted character writeups!

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:12 am

pawsplay wrote:As far as I can tell, the mechanics of throwing stuff are never spelled out in the rules.

Certainly not in one place.

Calculating Throwing Distance is on p12 of the DCA Handbook right after the Ranks & Measures Table.

Ranged Combat: Throwing is listed under the Combat Skill on p64.

The Throwing Mastery Advantage saint_matthew already mentioned above.

The Move Object effect on p108 mentions using MO rank to determine throwing damage "as if it were your Strength rank," which presumably means throwing damage is normally based on Str rank.

The Strength Power Profile has a sidebar that includes Throwing Ranges, penalties for non-aerodynamic objects and even throwing other characters.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

pawsplay
Zealot
Zealot

Postby pawsplay » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:34 am

Range and hitting are adequately covered. But nowhere does it say how to calculate damage. Move Object gives one calculation, but it just refers back to the nonexistent rule. Consider: if you used an AE for your Strength Damage to create a Ranged Damage attack, your damage would halve. So if it's Damage=Strength, that should be spelled out, because that gives Strength an undocumted and valuable utility (ranged damage, provided you have an object of any kind nearby).
Kickstarter: Tripod Machine presents Do Not Approach (Super-powered by M&M)
http://writeups.org - a big and growing collection of dual-statted character writeups!

Return to “DC Adventures”