Becoming a Weapon

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
Jiubei
Bystander
Bystander

Becoming a Weapon

Postby Jiubei » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:01 am

Hi guys, recently started a new game and I came up with an idea where I can transform into a sword to be used by another PC. My friends seem to think its an interesting idea but we did not know where to start.

So I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how I could go about doing it?

Also in human form, I'm just a 'normal' person, so my value is in my sword form.

HustlerOne
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Becoming a Weapon

Postby HustlerOne » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:22 pm

You sound like you want to be Megatron from Transformers that turns into a gun to be used by
others. I think you would use either the alternate form or the morph power. Shapeshifting or the Variable power might also work. It all really depends on the concept of your character.

Laughingcrow
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Laughingcrow » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:19 am

If your Humanoid form is a normal person (a la 60 PP or somesuch) you'd have plenty of points left for effects to use on others. All of these effects would have the flaws of Affects Others Only and Side Effect (Own body disappears) for a -2/rank total.
This way of doing things comes from Summoning Powers profile, where this side effect was used for when multiple people disappear into a combined form.

You then also add an Alternate Form (So a Move Activation ability that gives you Construct traits, but intelligent) to reflect your changed form, and you should be set.

But do keep in mind that it might not be a lot of fun to play a character like that. You can do little else than be a buff-bot for another party member, and it might get tiresome quickly. The use of Morph would allow the PC to be a fully functional character even when not in Sword Form. That, or the sword form might have a Summon ability to have a "generic swordfighter template" spirit creature to form and grab the weapon to wield it, might fly around and attack on its own, or similar things.

pawsplay
Zealot
Zealot

Postby pawsplay » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:45 am

Laughingcrow wrote:But do keep in mind that it might not be a lot of fun to play a character like that. You can do little else than be a buff-bot for another party member, and it might get tiresome quickly.

In fact, I'd make either the transforming character or their wielder into a Sidekick so you can play both.
Kickstarter: Tripod Machine presents Do Not Approach (Super-powered by M&M)
http://writeups.org - a big and growing collection of dual-statted character writeups!

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Greyman » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:33 am

Suggested reading material for partnerships between technicians and transforming weapons: Soul Eater manga, and its spinnoff, Soul Eater Not!
Laughingcrow wrote:But do keep in mind that it might not be a lot of fun to play a character like that. You can do little else than be a buff-bot for another party member, and it might get tiresome quickly.
Being an enhancer is only boring if it is passive; a single buff for the entire encounter.

Instead consider allowing the sword-form to also attack on its own by using Also Affects Others, rather than Only Affects Others. There are also other options to allow the sword to actively contribute.

1) The sword and wielder can make separate attacks on their own initiative.
2) Either the sword or the wielder can use the Aid action to grant a bonus to the other's attack. Don't forget to acquire the Teamwork advantage to maximise this.
3) The sword and wielder can use Team Attack maneuver for greater damage instead. Teamwork helps again.
4) Rather than also attacking, the sword could use a Close Deflect effect to defend the wielder. Interpose could also be used to take a hit for the wielder on occasion.
5) Another method is to have the talking sword use Deception, Intimidation, Persuasion skills, and pass the benefit to the wielder using the Set Up advantage. Take other advantages, like Daze, Fascinate, and Taunt to provide more uses for the interaction skills.
6) et cetera.

Fists of Dorn
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Fists of Dorn » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:18 pm

I had a lot of fun as a magical sword in a 2nd edition world-hopping campaign (Similar to the Exiles series). There were two of us, a magician and an athletic guy able to communicate reasonably well with animals. We had to gain the trust of some knightly figures, so I created a suitable disguise for my ally. It was fun to rp the situation as it had caught my fellow player and GM off-guard.

I used my create to make a suit of substantial magical armor that would help my ally to be more resilient- I think I had added some impervious and other aids that didn't actually boost his Toughness trait but increased his survivability.
Then I used Morph with Metamorph to pull off my transformation. I maintained my mental traits and my Constitution to represent that I was still alive and able to communicate with my ally as well as observe my surroundings. This was in keeping with my magician's usual powers which made good use of the metamorph ability to become alternate characters (Mostly to prevent my personal flaw of tiring of the same character).

Because it was for what would have been a few issues of a comic book, it was a lot of fun to play. I performed a few power stunts off of the powers I had as the sword to keep things interesting, rped advice to my ally as the "Wise Mystic within the Sword" and so on.

The simplest way to do this should be to use Metamorph. That will allow you to create an alternate version of yourself that can be wielded by another person, retain your character's sentience and ability to interact with others and keep you involved in the story, and provide you the ability to perform power stunts when dramatically appropriate.

-Fists.

Jiubei
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jiubei » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:11 am

Thanks guys this is all really useful information.

Could I also request a few examples for the powers? Like how would I, as a PC, emulate giving damage bonus to another PC character as a form of a weapon.

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Greyman » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:32 am

Jiubei wrote:Could I also request a few examples for the powers? Like how would I, as a PC, emulate giving damage bonus to another PC character as a form of a weapon.
Simply thus:
  • Targetmaster Blade: strength-based Affects-Others Damage #x, Penetrating #y, Alternate Effects #z: [...]

Jiubei
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jiubei » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:31 am

I use Herolab to make my characters, and they say that the 'affect others only' only works if the power has the range of 'self' only.

Should I just ignore that or should I maybe make a quirk that can only be used by others?

monele
Henchman
Henchman

Postby monele » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:38 am

Jiubei wrote:I use Herolab to make my characters, and they say that the 'affect others only' only works if the power has the range of 'self' only.

The rules seem to say the same: makes a Personal effect work on others instead of you. According to the Effects table, this means effects such as Burrowing, Concealment, Elongation, Enhanced Trait or Protection. Things that inherently affect the effect owner.

That said, I don't see another way to give powers or non-Personal effects to others. Variable would be an idea, but it allows the target to define what to do with all the points... Enhanced Trait would be another idea, but you only modify stats, you don't add effects to someone.
So maybe it's fair to widen the use of Affects Others to make this possible.

pawsplay
Zealot
Zealot

Postby pawsplay » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:29 pm

Actually Enhanced Damage, Affects Others is a legal construction
Kickstarter: Tripod Machine presents Do Not Approach (Super-powered by M&M)
http://writeups.org - a big and growing collection of dual-statted character writeups!

Fists of Dorn
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Fists of Dorn » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:38 pm

Keep in mind that with Metamorph you actually become the thing you have morphed into. So in essence your character becomes a sword with a brain, meaning that anyone wielding you would have access to the basic "I'm swinging a sword about like a loony"-ness of having a sword in hand.

Write your character out as a device that other characters can use. Don't over-think the situation.

-Fists.

Return to “DC Adventures”