What happened to the Universe book?

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
Shadowchaser
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Re: What happened to the Universe book?

Postby Shadowchaser » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:10 am

We talked about this on last night's podcast.

I believe the correct answer is to have your game store owner email sales@greenronin.com and ask about the preorder plus program. They can help your store owner get coupon codes to hand out for people who preorder the game through them. The code will give you the discounted PDF price from the green ronin online store.

Hope that helps!
James Dawsey, Owner and Publisher of Vigilance Press

Look for Vigilance Press on RPGNow.com and Drive-Thru RPG!

Or check out our website for free previews and podcast links!
http://www.vigilancepress.com/

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Postby Foreshadow » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:21 am

Thank you, that sounds right. That answers my question of whether the codes go to the gamestore owner and then to me the customer OR I go to GR directly. I assumed the former was true but wanted to verify.

I want to know so I can help my local store go through the process as I know full well things like the Emerald City sourcebook will come up soon enough and they'll do the same book + pdf (unless for some odd reason GR does not) and thus I want to get this type of roadblock out of the way.

Green Ronin, contemplate marketing the idea of it to gamestores. GAMA is the association and I'm sure it has a newsletter and perhaps a targeted email to gamestores might work, assuming game companies can send emails out that way, or perhaps some other channel since this type of information is really not advertising to fans but rather to owners.

Also GAMA if you don't do customer service seminars for gamestore owners, that is a critical one to offer gamestore owners. They often do things which would get normal employees at most other businesses fired. Meaning, if I did or said that stuff (or my wife at her job) we'd be out of a job or at least have 'the talk' and the understanding we do it again we'll be looking for another job. Customer service seems a foreign concept for some. I think large companies take it seriously as they know it will cost them costumers, and small businesses either learn or I assume cease to exist.

JonL
M&M Developer
M&M Developer

Postby JonL » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:44 am

Foreshadow wrote:How does the Pre-Order Plus program work?

It states in the poster 'ask staff for details' but after attempting to order from a rather rude gamestore owner who felt it was below him to even attempt to ask and didn't seem to care if I got a pdf. I realized I need to arm myself with how the program works so I can educate the retailer. It makes me think less of retailers in general this experience (like I have to do their job for them).

So I pre-order from the store, pay them for the product, and then how do I get the pdf?

Do they have to get codes from you Green Ronin OR can I submit proof of my order at the retail store to GR to download the pdf. I do want the pdf for the Universe book for 5 bucks as I assume that is what I get if I preorder with the gamestore, rather than Green Ronin.

If the store must get the code (s) is there is number to call. I feel I have to hold my local gamestore owners hand, please list step by step the process.

I erased the rant about going out of my way to support gamestores, but the other store I called seemed at least not-rude and receptive to listen and take the whole 5 minutes it might take to seek an answer to if the store can participate in the pre-order plus program. The first store, Game HQ in Oklahoma City, well apparently they don't like people attempting to spend money in their store. Needless to say I will visit the store to play games now and then but avoid (if possible) spending money there. Great job with the customer service! you lost me. I know I'm only a single customer and you think this was only one book, but in reality I order a lot of stuff and turning off a customer like that (at least from my perspective) is the opposite of good business sense.

Please Green Ronin, since Hal is a big GAMA guy maybe he can promote your pre-order plus program to the retailers association and inform retailers it exists. Then I might have a good reason to go out of my way to support the local store, and over look the rude customer service of some of them. It seems like a reasonable suggestion. If that is possible it might make future interactions with gamestore owners less of a hassle. One can only guess why Amazon is a pleasant buying experience when you don't have to go through 'work' just ordering a product.

Foreshadow, I'm asking the people in the know for a step-by-step process. I don't have that info at my fingertips and I don't want to tell you the wrong thing.

As soon as I can, I'll get you the info.

The basics are: The store manager contacts us to sign up, they order the book from their distributor and show is something that says they ordered the book, we give the store owner a code to pass along to you so you can download the PDF. We do this for all our books these days and it's not a difficult process. It does, however, mean the store owner has to want to take the time to help out one of his customers who's trying to give him money.
Best regards,

Jon Leitheusser
M&M Line Developer
DC Adventures Line Developer
That's all I got.

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Postby Foreshadow » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:03 pm

Thank you John,

I listened to the second podcast and now have a basic idea and the email so I will talk to my local game store again, the one with better customer service.

I'm sure once they do it once they will be less resistant to the idea of offering such a service for customers.

I do appreciate local stores existing. I have lived in places where they don't exist and thus, like their poor customer service or not, I really do want to support them.

JonL
M&M Developer
M&M Developer

Postby JonL » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:39 pm

Hey Foreshadow:

Here's what you can print out and give to your store. It's a very simple process.

Greetings,

First, we'd like to thank you for your interest in the Green Ronin Pre-Order Plus program. This program allows us to make the same pre-order offer available through stores that we have on our web site: pre-order the book and get a PDF of that book for $5.

Here's how your favorite local store can get involved:

1) The store manager should email bill@greenronin.com. Bill Bodden is out Sales Manager and oversees the program. He’ll add your store to the list of retailers interested in receiving information about our upcoming games.

2) Bill then sends out an email to all participating stores notifying them that a new book will be available in one to two months. Stores have the option to sign up or not for any given book.

3) Reply to the email to let Bill know you’re interested in participating for the offered book. He’ll send you a batch of ten codes for that book.

4) When a customer pre-orders that particular book from your store, you hand them a code that will let them go to the Green Ronin web site and download a PDF of the book from us for $5. The codes expire about a week after the book hits store shelves.

5) If you sell so many pre-orders that you need more codes, all you have to do is drop Bill an email requesting more codes and he'll send you 10 more.

Once the book is available in stores, we take the deal down from our web site. Likewise, once the codes expire we won't give out any new ones for that book.

How your store handles the pre-orders is up to your store manager. If you know your customers will buy the book when it comes in, you can give them a code after they commit to the pre-order. If you want to require full payment or a deposit up front, that's up to you.

While we do reserve the right to make a rare and occasional exception, so far everything we've produced since we launched this program in 2011 has been included in the program.

Bill

And there you go!
Best regards,

Jon Leitheusser
M&M Line Developer
DC Adventures Line Developer
That's all I got.

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Postby Foreshadow » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:10 pm

Thank you John,

Plus anyone else interested in that program via their local store can use the same information.

Return to “DC Adventures”