West End Games DC Roleplaying Game

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
yellowmartian
Bystander
Bystander

West End Games DC Roleplaying Game

Postby yellowmartian » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:43 pm

Does anybody have the Gotham City Daily planet guide from West End Games? I want to use it as a supplement if I can for my DCA campaign, but I don't know if it has any maps or useful info. There weren't any reviews so I have no clue if it is worth picking up. Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Daily-Planet-Guid ... G8ZUQXY09Q

Thanks.

Damren
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Re: West End Games DC Roleplaying Game

Postby Damren » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:21 pm

There are four pages of overview maps with thirty locations pinpointed on them, total. Not a huge amount of detail, but the do set the 'lay of the land' and include details like bridges, subway tunnels, the river, etc. One of the maps is a wide-shot and the other three are narrow-shots of areas in the wide-shot of the city.

I like it for the flavor. There's lots of short, place descriptions and details like temperatures, ratio stations, and historyical data. Most descriptions are a paragraph or two in length and b/w comic book images are spread throughout the book.

The contents read: History of the City, The City at a Glance, City Layout, The Industry of the City, The Media, Restaurants & Lodging, Gotham Pastimes (this is Pro Sports, Museums, Parks & Entertainment), City Transportation, Emergency Services & an Appendix (Cover the same headings as the Contents, but lists additional references in the Gotham City Sourcebook & gives a few Stat notes on potential civilian encounters).

Similar to the Metropolis Guide, but no real color inside except for a few shaded quote boxes and borders here & there. There are a few adventure seeds & things like a Gotham PD recruitment poster imaged on one page.

The book originally sold for $15 back in 2000, and I'd easily pay that for it now (even in used or poor condition). But, I wouldn't go overboard. It's a good book, but unless you're a collector, I wouldn't go over $20 for it.

Stigger
Cohort
Cohort

Re: West End Games DC Roleplaying Game

Postby Stigger » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:28 am

I find it immensely helpful myself. The 'tour' of the city is immeasurably better than the one for Metropolis, which was virtually non-existant comparatively, and it was as comprehensive as a book its size could be, probably moreso. But still, I'd have to agree that prices over $20 are a definite gouge.

Return to “DC Adventures”