creating / summoning a car

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
Millennium
Mastermind
Mastermind

creating / summoning a car

Postby Millennium » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:41 am

Hi folks,

I'm putting a build together and, for a bit of a kick, I thought it'd be fun if he could summon or create a car at any time. I'm trying to find the best way of doing this... A stunt off of Create? How would you build that power / ability?

poodle
Luminary
Luminary

Re: creating / summoning a car

Postby poodle » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:33 am

He could have quite a dimensional pocket..
Alternatively, it is just a descriptor for speed.
Shrinking, affects objects. unshrunk 1 car voila!
create object-precise. extra- linked speed, toughness, strength, limitation only while in vehicle maybe
maybe do it the same way weapon summoning is except instead of weapons you summon "the dragster" or "the mole machine" or "the tank"
Gadget power, limited vehicles only, although this would be more expensive than having a car and shrinking it or having a dimensional pocket.
Equipment car, features, auto pilot, remote control.
If you went the knight rider direction. You could just make the car a minion and take the summon minion power.
A car with a robotic brain,

Just a few ideas for you to play with.
cry havoc and let slip the poodles of war
Uncle friendly
My builds
Zephyr
Fixxer

Murkglow
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Murkglow » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:42 am

I'm not a fan of Create for this. Even with precise I don't really see Create creating things with moving parts and the ability to trasport the owner under power outside their own. Personally, unless the car has some other uses beyond movement, I'd just have an AE of speed on the create and you explain the speed as you summoning something you move around on/in (same way Move Object often has an AE of flight with the platform flaw to do the whole flying around on an object you're moving).

I'm also against Equipment as a power. Equipment already gets a massive cost discount. Letting it be summoned at will as a power removes a ton of the built in disadvantages that make up that cost decrease.

Elana
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Elana » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:26 am

You can just build the char like any other character (Equipment points becoming power points) and then use summon.

Yes this is a lot more expensive than normal equipment, but that is because you just turned it into a power.
Beware, I have an evil ruber duck..and I'm not afraid to use it!

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:09 am

2E Mecha and Manga had a "summonable" Feat (a flat Extra in 3E parlance) that let you dismiss or retrieve an item from a given location if you had it in hand. Basically, if you got disarmed or it was destroyed, it was unavailable. If someone plundered the location you left it at, it was unavailable. I probably wouldn't let it be bought as Equipment, but it works as a 1 pp Feature.

poodle
Luminary
Luminary

Postby poodle » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:24 pm

does the car just appear or does it drive itself to you?
There is an easier way, disable device :twisted: just steal 'em as you need them.
cry havoc and let slip the poodles of war
Uncle friendly
My builds
Zephyr
Fixxer

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Monolith » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:29 pm

If you want to summon a vehicle just build it using the vehicle rules and then, instead of diving by 5 to get an equipment cost, just use the cost as a summon. So if it costs 50 points to make the vehicle you want create that as a 50 point summon rather then as 10 equipment points.

Beleriphon
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Beleriphon » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:40 pm

Monolith wrote:If you want to summon a vehicle just build it using the vehicle rules and then, instead of diving by 5 to get an equipment cost, just use the cost as a summon. So if it costs 50 points to make the vehicle you want create that as a 50 point summon rather then as 10 equipment points.

Summon would work, with only enough ranks of summon to buy the equipment advantage on the summoned minion. You could even strip all of the minions abilities away and make the thing worth a negative points value except of the equipment advantage.

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Greyman » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:22 pm

Monolith wrote:If you want to summon a vehicle just build it using the vehicle rules and then, instead of diving by 5 to get an equipment cost, just use the cost as a summon. So if it costs 50 points to make the vehicle you want create that as a 50 point summon rather then as 10 equipment points.
This is how Summon Vehicle is built in the Summoning Powers Profile.

Summon Vehicle: Controlled Summon #. * 3 points per rank: summon a vehicle costing (Rank x 15) points.

eg: Summon Limousine: Controlled Summon 1 * 3 points: huge vehicle (str 8, spd 5, def 6, tgh 9, Feature 3: caltrops, navigation system, oil slick, Alternate Movement: flight 2, swimming 5.)

Return to “DC Adventures”