Green Lantern Ring Power Depletion?

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
Blefuscu
Bystander
Bystander

Green Lantern Ring Power Depletion?

Postby Blefuscu » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:40 pm

Are there mechanics covering this in the rules?

If not, has anybody homebrewed any mechanic for tracking power depletion?

Murkglow
Paragon
Paragon

Re: Green Lantern Ring Power Depletion?

Postby Murkglow » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:28 am

No there are no rules for this, it's a complication which means the ring depletes when it's most interesting to the story or most inconveniencing for the character, not on some set interval.

HustlerOne
Zealot
Zealot

Postby HustlerOne » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:13 am

I think it has to be recharged every 24 hours. At least that's what I saw from Justice League animated show.
Twenty four hours seems to be a good benchmark. Again it really depends on if a dramatic moment is needed.

Blefuscu
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Blefuscu » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:28 pm

Thanks for the replies gents. I'll let narrative determine power depletion. Opening Pandora's Box of Headaches trying to keep track of something like that anyway.

Jraven56
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Jraven56 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:37 pm

I tend to drop small hints before leaving them without power. Something like having the ring announce that it's down to 30% power.

In one instance the heroes had fight Grundy and Black Adam, which was mostly diversion for the real attack. Near the end I announced the ring was at 30% capacity right before having batman call in help dealing with Sinestro.
Had the player flown off to combat Sinestro without recharging, choosing instead to recharge at a more dramatic moment I might have let him do more damage.

In another instance the heroes were trapped in an alternate dimension that blocked outside energy from getting in, so the GL was running off one charge and had to do things like walk, and punch. Also as a side note they were assisted by a young boy named Billy who had been trapped there for a bit and was really eager for them to bring down the energy barrier.
Someone told me to write a blog about movies and RPGs...So here it is

Return to “DC Adventures”