Area Effects: Perception

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
stranger_among_us
Groupie
Groupie

Area Effects: Perception

Postby stranger_among_us » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:45 am

The Perception shape listed under the Area extra notes that "[t]argets get a Dodge resistance check, as usual, but if the check is successful suffer no effect (rather than half)."

However, under the Range section of the Area extra, it states "[p]erception area effects neither require an attack check nor allow a Dodge resistance check, although targets still get a normal resistance check against the effect."

Can anyone elaborate more on when a Perception Area Effects allow a Dodge resistance check? Can a Perception Range Effect also have a Perception Shape?

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Area Effects: Perception

Postby Arthur Eld » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:26 am

Perception Area effects always allow a dodge save, just like other Area extras.

Perception Range effects with the Area extra do not. This includes the Perception Area extra.

There's nothing that says you can't have both, so if I had Visual Dazzle 10, Perception Range, Area-Perception, I could place the origin point anywhere I could perceive, and then anyone who could perceive that point would be affected. This might be a way to describe say a beam of light that you bounce off a target point and then affects everyone who can see it.

As opposed to a Close Range Perception Area Dazzle, which would be like a character glowing so bright everyone who sees them has to save, even if the character in question can't see them.

grod_the_giant
Hireling
Hireling

Postby grod_the_giant » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:06 pm

It's two slightly different uses of the term "Perception."

Perception Area is a sense-based signal. A blinding flash of light, a hypnotic speech, an Elder Evil that drives you mad to look at it... if YOU sense IT, you're affected. The Dodge check is to cover your eyes or ears in time to avoid it.

Perception Range is sort of the opposite. If the attacker senses YOU, you're affected. Perception Range powers are usually mental- telepathy, telekinesis, and other things where there's no "carrier." No energy beams, not bullets, no fists, no way to dodge.

stranger_among_us
Groupie
Groupie

Postby stranger_among_us » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:19 am

Thanks for your posts, guys. It helped me understand how to interpret the differences.

Saltcrow
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Saltcrow » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:45 am

btw, Perception 'Area' is basically a Perception-ranged Area effect with Sense Dependent flaw.

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Greyman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:40 pm

Saltcrow wrote:btw, Perception 'Area' is basically a Perception-ranged Area effect with Sense Dependent flaw.
No it isn't. They are quite different.

For one thing: Perception-Area effects can affect targets the user cannot perceive. Perception-ranged Area effects cannot, Sense-dependent or not.

For another: A Subtle Perception-Area can effect targets that cannot perceive the attack, while a Subtle Sense-dependent attack is rather pointless.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:43 pm

Greyman wrote:For another: A Subtle Perception-Area can effect targets that cannot perceive the attack, while a Subtle Sense-dependent attack is rather pointless.

Not pointless in every case. A psychic scream could be Subtle (Exotic Sense: Mental) and Sense-Dependent (Mental Awareness), so non-psychics wouldn't notice it but psychics would be affected, which would be an excellent way to ferret out psychics in mixed groups.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Return to “DC Adventures”