Weight

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
budlink
Bystander
Bystander

Weight

Postby budlink » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:55 am

I was making a charater who was made of condensed lava rock to explain why his toughness was higher than the toughness of typical stone. I was going to give him the complication that he weighs 10,000 pounds. This would limit where my character could go by keeping him off elevators, out of old buildings, and forcing problem solving when the group comes across a rickity bridge. Then I noticed that in the heros and villians book, Killer Crock has a power making him 800 pounds. Assuming that each rank of this feature doubles your weight from a base weight of 200 pounds, I am guessing that I will need to shave off 5 points from my character to make room for this power and still makeit a complication. Is this the case?

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Weight

Postby saint_matthew » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:48 am

budlink wrote:I was making a charater who was made of condensed lava rock to explain why his toughness was higher than the toughness of typical stone. I was going to give him the complication that he weighs 10,000 pounds.

Um you do know that most volcanic rock is actually incredibly light due to the amount of oxygen in it.... In fact some are so light that they will actually float on water. Also not actually tougher than typical stone (again because of the amount of air in it).

Not saying that you can't use that as a reason but don't be shocked if you get a few strange looks from people. :lol:
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:10 am

budlink wrote: . . I was going to give him the complication that he weighs 10,000 pounds. This would limit where my character could go by keeping him off elevators, out of old buildings, and forcing problem solving when the group comes across a rickity bridge. Then I noticed that in the heros and villians book, Killer Crock has a power making him 800 pounds. Assuming that each rank of this feature doubles your weight from a base weight of 200 pounds, I am guessing that I will need to shave off 5 points from my character to make room for this power and still makeit a complication. Is this the case?

It's not strictly necessary. If all you want is the disadvantages of a 5-ton PC without any of the advantages (or the advantages are essentially covered by other powers/effects), then you are fine with just the Complication. (If your PC could fly, these issue would probably never come up, so it's situational.) If you wanted the extra mass to actually have some other benefits (harder to pick up and throw, trip, or knockback) then a mass Feature like Croc would be appropriate. The idea is to build to the effects you want and let physics be somebody else's problem like any good comic book superhero. :)
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:25 am

saint_matthew wrote:Um you do know that most volcanic rock is actually incredibly light due to the amount of oxygen in it.... In fact some are so light that they will actually float on water. Also not actually tougher than typical stone (again because of the amount of air in it).

Not saying that you can't use that as a reason but don't be shocked if you get a few strange looks from people. :lol:

All depends on what sort of volcanic rock we're talking about. Obsidian is pretty middle-of-the-road in terms of density. Basalt is quite dense. Pumice, which is what you're referring to, does indeed occur in much lighter forms.

Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Mr Mole » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:07 pm

It's not going to be compatible with real world physics (assuming relatively normal human proportions, he'd be roughly twice as dense as osmium)... But that's the case with pretty much anything in comic books.

That said, +1 to JDRook's response. It depends on whether the extra weight will benefit or hinder the character. I suspect most of the benefits will be covered by powers and increased stats, so I'd lean toward it being more of a hindrance and make it a Complication. As always, YMMV.

budlink
Bystander
Bystander

Postby budlink » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:05 am

Thanks for the help. I made it a disadvantage and will let the others know that it won't effect in game effects like throwing me, because comic books. As for my weight I am made of condensed lava rock (Aka the word condensed allows my toughness to be what I want because my body is condensed, because comic books).

Return to “DC Adventures”