Help with a puzzle!

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
BlueBullet
Bystander
Bystander

Help with a puzzle!

Postby BlueBullet » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:32 am

Hello again, everyone!

So with everything all sorted now for the next series of games, I'm in the process of writing up the main story. I'm currently finishing off the first part, and have decided to add a puzzle to the intro of the game.

To quickly sum up, the players find a magical seal in an apartment they're investigating. The seal opens the way to an alternate space set in the same apartment (think of it as a hidden HQ), but an idea for a puzzle I had would be to identify the symbols on the seal to unlock and open the way. Now, the HQ belongs to a character called Starcaller, who's key characteristic is that his magic ability becomes more powerful in starlight. My idea is that the symbols on the seal would relate to star constellations, say about three total.

Looking into constellations, I was thinking of signs of the zodiac, then putting them into order in order to unlock the seal. I'm just not sure how to implement it and not make it too difficult for the players. What do you think? Any suggestions?

digitalangel
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Help with a puzzle!

Postby digitalangel » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:44 am

If you are using constellations as the symbols, a knowledge/expertise check (depending on 2E or 3E names) should give the characters a good hint to goo off of.

If the characters have expertise supernatural, magic, mythology, astonomy, astology, maybe even in basic science at a higher DC, maybe even history (in relation to ancient cultures or naval history), or seamanship (a navigate check might work here too if the character knows how to navigate off of stars and not just GPS or landmarks) a pilot check for boats or maybe even aircraft could work too at a stiff DC.

If the characters have none of these, you could always have one of them spend a HP for inspiration. Narratively you have them stare up at the sky in thought scratching thier heads, and see one of the constellations on the puzzle and it looks familiar to them.

BlueBullet
Bystander
Bystander

Postby BlueBullet » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:09 am

I figured an Expertise check would work best. There's a new character joining the game who has an Expertise: Physics skill, so I think that could work quite well.

I'm also adding another method to help the puzzle move forward. A journal can be found with a thorough check, with some important dates highlighted, as a hint to what order the symbols need to go in/read out in order to open up the seal.

Corrigon
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Corrigon » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:39 pm

If you want to make it a little easier on yourself, you could use the constellation symbols that were in Stargate

Return to “DC Adventures”