With regards to Healing and Regeneration

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
Jhyarelle
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

With regards to Healing and Regeneration

Postby Jhyarelle » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:38 pm

As far as I understand with Healing:
You can heal Damage conditions by touching a subject and taking a standard action to make a DC 10 Healing check. Each degree of success healing one Damage condition, starting with the subject’s worst condition, and working down, as if the subject were recovering rapidly. If the subject is dying, the highest degree of success stabilizes the subject, removing the dying condition.

1) So this only heals damage conditions? Meaning form Dying to Stable and so forth and it needs a Healing check. Why does it need to be ranked? If the standard Heal DC is 10 to heal a Damage Condition by 1 degree, you have to roll a "10" on a d20 to even succeed by at least 1 degree. The higher the roll the more likely there is of healing more degrees Damage Conditions. Does multiple ranks of Healing reduce the DC required to Heal by even 1 degree of Damage Condition by 1 (EX: Rank 1 Heal DC 10, Rank 2 Heal DC 9, Rank 3 Heal DC 8 ) or the other way around (Ex: Rank 1 Heal DC 10. Rank 2 Heal + 1 check roll, Rank 3 Heal + 2 check roll) ?

2) Healing Ranks does not reduce -1 penalties to Toughness resistance checks from Damage Conditions right?

Regeneration states:
You recover quickly from damage. Remove penalties to your Toughness checks due to damage equal to your Regeneration rank each minute. You then recover other damage conditions equal to your Regeneration rank each minute, starting from your most severe condition. Spread this recovery out evenly over a minute (10 action rounds).

So with Regeneration 5, you remove a –1 Toughness penalty every other round (every round with Regeneration 10, and up to a –2 penalty per round with Regeneration 20).

1) This means you heal -1 penalties to Toughness check in increments of time.

[quote]Regeneration 5, you remove a –1 Toughness penalty every other round (every round with Regeneration 10, and up to a –2 penalty per round with Regeneration 20)[quote]

2) Eventually after all Toughness check penalties are healed, you then Heal other conditions starting with the most severe. So does this mean:

Regeneration 5, you remove a degree of Negative Condition every other round (every round with Regeneration 10, and up to 2 Negative Conditions a round with Regeneration 20)

Main question: Does having both Healing and Regeneration in tandem make healing faster by taking out both Negative Condition and Toughness penalty check?
"Research is what I'm doing when I don't what I'm doing"
"I'm so clever that at sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying."

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: With regards to Healing and Regeneration

Postby Arthur Eld » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:42 pm

You add your Healing ranks to your roll. So if you have Healing 10, you're guaranteed to heal at least one condition.

As far as Regen and Healing, yes together they would be even better than one or the other (though letting one character have both seems like overkill)

Jhyarelle
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Jhyarelle » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:43 pm

Addendum to Healing & Regeneration question.

(This sounds stupid but) Does higher Regeneration regen lost or damaged limbs, damaged interior or external body parts. Does higher ranks of healing does the same or just remove Damage Conditions.
"I'm so clever that at sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying."

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:55 pm

Those kinds of things aren't really covered in the rules mechanically. Lasting injuries might best be dealt with as a Complication-one characters with certain powers can avoid.

Jhyarelle
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Jhyarelle » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:32 pm

Arthur Eld wrote:Those kinds of things aren't really covered in the rules mechanically. Lasting injuries might best be dealt with as a Complication-one characters with certain powers can avoid.

True I never thought about it and it does make sense. Thanks.

Fists of Dorn
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Fists of Dorn » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:48 am

Also if the GM decides that loss of limbs or severe damage to internal organs is going to be a part of the campaign (futuristic sci-fi or Iron Age games), then he can always allow a Feature extra to be taken that regrows limbs/organs (Much like 2nd edition's Regrowth power feat).

-Fists.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:54 am

I don't think this one was addressed.

Jhyarelle wrote:2) Healing Ranks does not reduce -1 penalties to Toughness resistance checks from Damage Conditions right?

I'm pretty sure it does, it would just heal your -1 penalties last.

For example, say you have two PCs at the end of a fight with Staggered and -4 Toughness penalties:
- One gets Healing from a teammate. Assuming Healing 5 and routine rolls would average 2 successes per check, so that PC would likely be recovered from Staggered on the first check and be fully healed in 3 rounds as long as the healer keeps healing.
- The other has Regen 5. No rolls or actions are necessary, but it takes 2 rounds for each recovery, starting with the -1s, so it would take a full minute (10 rounds) for that PC to get over his Staggered condition.

You could combine both and have a Regen PC being Healed by someone else (or himself if he's conscious). Using the above numbers, the Healing would get rid of Staggered and one -1 in the first round, two more -1 in the second round and the Regen would kick in at the end of the 2nd round to remove the last -1.

I do agree with Arthur Eld - a character with both does seem like overkill. Of course I usually houserule Regen at 2p/rank and would use the Toughness penalties as a penalty on the Healing check as well, since I think both of them are too effective for the cost.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:11 am

On a side note, back in 2E, you'd occasionally come upon people using Reaction Healing to heal up when they were struck. Be wary of it, as it can result in regenerators who routinely heal up as much damage as they take every round, sometimes multiple Ouchies at a time.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:13 am

FuzzyBoots wrote:On a side note, back in 2E, you'd occasionally come upon people using Reaction Healing to heal up when they were struck.

To be fair, 2e Regeneration is a relative train wreck compared to 3e, and expensive enough that buying reaction level healing could actually be cheaper and easier to play than total regeneration.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Return to “DC Adventures”