Computer AI

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
Doctor Vile
Sidekick
Sidekick

Computer AI

Postby Doctor Vile » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:47 am

I'm trying to create a car that has an A.I. much like K.I.T.T.

What I have planned is creating the car per the Equipment vehicle as per normal and spending points on the minion advantage for the A.I., I'm just not sure on how to build the minion.

Do I give the minion the stats of the car, like the same strength and size or do I create the minion as some sort of formless invisible entity that kinda inhabits the actual car via insubstantial and total concealment?

Any ideas?
"If you're not cheating, you're not trying."

Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Re: Computer AI

Postby Earth-Two_Kenn » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:03 am

Just build the car, and then give it Intellect, Awareness, Dexterity, Presence, and Agility (and maybe Fighting) to represent that's it intelligent, aware, and mobile.
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:52 am

I've done it. All that you require is an Int score & possibly a Vehicle skill ranking & any other suitable expertise skill you think it needs.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:53 pm

Doctor Vile wrote:I'm trying to create a car that has an A.I. much like K.I.T.T.
Do I give the minion the stats of the car, like the same strength and size or do I create the minion as some sort of formless invisible entity that kinda inhabits the actual car via insubstantial and total concealment?

There are a few ways to go depending on how specific you want to be.

If we're modelling after KITT, he's an AI built directly into a car-shaped frame. In theory, the AI can be removed, but not easily and certainly not mid-scene, so for all intents and purposes, the AI and the car are a single entity. Also, he can talk, and is able to see, hear and smell, so my preference would be to build him like a character limited by his car shape, rather than building him like a vehicle and adding on all of his other abilities. YMMV, no pun intended.

The Vehicle Gadget Guide has Autopilot as a Feature providing +4 to the Vehicle Skill per rank, which is essentially Vehicle Skill bought Limited to that one vehicle. Strictly speaking, the vehicle would also at least need Awareness or it would not be aware of its surroundings and couldn't really navigate or even take directions from someone, so that aspect is kind of handwaved. For a full AI, it doesn't seem appropriate.

If it's a full-on independent AI like the Knight Industries Two Thousand, it should also have Intellect and Presence to reflect processing power and personality. I wouldn't say Dexterity is strictly necessary, since it's simpler to just buy the bonuses DEX provides separately: Ranged Combat skill for any ranged vehicle weapons, Vehicle Skill as Autopilot, and how often do you expect the car to use Sleight of Hand? Agility is similarly unnecessary unless you do Acrobatics with the car; on the other hand, Stealth and Dodge Ranks are not a bad idea. Fighting would only provide bonuses for close attacks and defense, which again is probably better as Close Combat: Ramming & Slamming (unarmed for vehicles) and I'm not sure how Parry should even work with this concept.

PS - Personally, I think there are very few concepts that require Full Insub/Conceal. 99% of the time you can do what you want with the proper application of other effects, a decent descriptor and usually simpler and for less points
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Return to “DC Adventures”