Injustice: Hitting someone w/the batmobile

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
chao-ren
Groupie
Groupie

Injustice: Hitting someone w/the batmobile

Postby chao-ren » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:00 pm

Okay. How does Aiming/damage work with hitting them with a vehicle? i.e. The end of this super:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_jtyE5NQIM

If I ruled you'd have to distract them, what would that play out like? Deception? (Is that what daze is for?)
"In Fearful Day, In Raging Night, With strong hearts full, Our Souls Ignite! When all seems lost in the War of Light, look to the stars, for HOPE BURNS BRIGHT!"

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Injustice: Hitting someone w/the batmobile

Postby saint_matthew » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:10 pm

Its just a Slam attack, as taken from page 178 of the "DC ADventures: Heroes Handbook"

SLAM

When you charge, you can charge right into your target, using your momentum to strengthen your attack, but potentially receiving some damage from the impact yourself. The damage rank for your attack equals your movement speed rank, or your normal damage rank with a +1 circumstance bonus, whichever is higher. If you move
your full speed before you charge, increase your damage by either means by an additional +1 circumstance bonus. Base slam attack damage (before applying circumstance
modifiers) is limited by power level.

Example: Bulletman flies into a foe, moving at speed rank 10. His unarmed damage (Strength) rank is only 2, so he uses his speed rank of 10 for the damage. Since he also moved his full speed to build up momentum, he increases his damage by +1 for a total damage rank of 11. If a base damage rank of 10 is too high for the series, the GM may impose a lower limit on Bulletman’s slam attack damage, applying the +1 modifier for the full speed move to the lowered rank.

You suffer some of the impact of slamming into a target; make a Toughness resistance check against half the damage rank of your attack (rounded down).

Example: Bulletman hits his target, and must make his own Toughness resistance check against damage rank 5: his slam attack damage of 11, divided by 2, which equals 5.5, rounded down to 5. Fortunately, Bulletman’s helmet provides him with an invisible electromagnetic field for protection and the hero manages to avoid the damage, hoping his opponent won’t be so lucky!

Bonuses to Toughness protect against slam attack damage normally. Immunity to slam damage you inflict is a rank 2 Immunity effect, while Immunity to all slam damage
is rank 5 (see Immunity in the Powers chapter).
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

chao-ren
Groupie
Groupie

Postby chao-ren » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:46 pm

What would the roll be to hit? Technology/Vehicles? Or something from the car?

If you rule'd there'd have to be a distraction, how would you roll that?
"In Fearful Day, In Raging Night, With strong hearts full, Our Souls Ignite! When all seems lost in the War of Light, look to the stars, for HOPE BURNS BRIGHT!"

Dr.Crane
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Dr.Crane » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:45 pm

8) Very Cool video addition.

saint_matthew is right it is going to be a slam attack from the Batmobile.
The Batmobile has a REMOTE CONTROL feature which is very helpful in actually accomplishing the goal and then next up is SPEED 6 for the Slam Damage.

Personally I would make it a VEHICLE check for the actual Attack and Batman has that at rank 8 giving him (+15) and then the damage of 7 from the Batmobile, all is within the PL 12 of Batman, without having to do Trade-Offs.

As for the Distraction, Batman has plenty of Smoke Bombs, Flash Bombs, and a very handy Deception (+15) as well.

Hope this babel helps. :D

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:14 pm

chao-ren wrote:What would the roll be to hit? Technology/Vehicles? Or something from the car?

They go over this briefly in the Vehicles Gadget Guide. According to that, the only times your Vehicle Skill comes up in combat are Defensive Checks and Control Checks. The Defensive Check is like the Defend maneuver for your vehicle, requiring a Standard Action, and replacing the vehicle's base defense (usually DC10* - Size penalty) with the Vehicle Check (d20 + Vehicle Skill - Size Penalty).

The roll to hit would be a Close attack with the vehicle, so Fighting + Close Attack Advantage (if any) + Close Combat: Vehicle (if any). For the official Batman build, that would +20, with a -2 for Charge/Slam attacks.

*it's possible to buy up Defense for a vehicle as improved maneuverability, but I've rarely seen this used. It certainly isn't on the Batmobile.

chao-ren wrote:If you rule'd there'd have to be a distraction, how would you roll that?

I assume you are directly referencing the video game clip which has BM doing some special move on WW that seems to have at least 5 distinct parts. I won't address that here except to say that translating video game mechanics directly into M&M is generally a bad idea, although stealing concepts and building powers inspired by the games is workable.

Distracting an opponent can be done in basically two ways in combat, using either skills or powers. Feinting is a Deception subskill that can be done in combat and, when successful, leaves your target Vulnerable (defenses at half rank rounded up); it can also be done with Acrobatics or Intimidation with the right Advantages (Agile Feint and Startle, respectively). The Vulnerable Condition (and its bigger brother, Defenseless) can also be built into an Affliction Effect and be part of a power with any of several descriptors.

One of the biggest advantages of lowering your opponents defenses is that it's much easier to hit them with a Power Attack; since they are easier to hit you can safely tradeoff you hit bonus for damage effect. So while you could theoretically go through the mechanics of figuring out how Batman would call the Bmobile and drive it into an opponent, you could also just make it the descriptor of a full-shift Power Attack (which, depending on how you do it, is pretty close to the same damage anyway).

If you did want to use the Batmobile as a combat partner, the Bmobile should be treated as a minion (since it's purchased at the same cost as one) and the Remote considered equal to a Mental Link, with Batman giving Commands as Move Actions.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

chao-ren
Groupie
Groupie

Postby chao-ren » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:27 am

Thanks so much for the help guys! :)

JD rook, yeah I just meant that last part with the smoke for distraction. I was a little lost because smoke pellets make it harder to hit you, but mechanically i don't think it actually makes it harder for them to see. Thanks again guys.

How do you guys figure out these strategies in the game lol? Like feint, then power attack? XD

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Monolith » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:23 am

Smoke gives you a penalty to checks, perception and attack. That means it's harder to see you too. :)

Also, a lot of times a power isn't necessarily doing an attack. The attack is the descriptor for something else. The smoke pellet might not be actual smoke. It might just be the descriptor for a feint. The player tells the gm he's going to do a feint on Wonder Woman. How the player describes it for the round is throwing smoke pellets in her face. Next round he might describe it as throwing sand in her face. The round after that he might describe it as kicking at her face to make her flinch back.

The mechanics of the game aren't the description.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:16 am

Monolith wrote:The mechanics of the game aren't the description.

Exactly. To use the video game metaphor, the mechanics are essentially all the math in the background, while the descriptors are the high-end graphics that are informed by the mechanics. The Effects are the wireframe skeleton, the descriptor is the skin. And of course you need both to make a good game. The M&M ruleset gives you the mechanics, but it's up to the players and GM to make it all look and feel like a superhero setting (or whatever the goal is) by describing those mechanics in interesting and setting-appropriate ways. Otherwise, it's just a lot of dice-rolling.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Doresh
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Doresh » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:27 am

@Monolith:

Batmobile: Ranged Damage X, 2*x points

You might want to make it "Limited to Ground Targets", but even the Nolan-Batman had no trouble finding ramps and stuff :mrgreen:

hypervirtue
Zealot
Zealot

Postby hypervirtue » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:13 am

Doresh wrote:@Monolith:

Batmobile: Ranged Damage X, 2*x points

You might want to make it "Limited to Ground Targets", but even the Nolan-Batman had no trouble finding ramps and stuff :mrgreen:

Doresh:

Effect: Damage.
Extra: Increased Range, Indirect 4, Feature: Summon Item (Batmobile).
Flaw: Only usable in locations the Batmobile could physically reach.
Cost: 6pp for rank 1, 1pp/Rank thereafter.

*For the full write up of the Summon Item feature see "Power Profiles" Teleport Powers, or Page 198 of the Power Profiles compilation.
One can lift a rock with pure power, but a pure heart can move mountains.

Doresh
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Doresh » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:15 am

I knew I forgot something. Though I'm not sure if the Flaw is needed. It's the Batmobile, after all :mrgreen:

hypervirtue
Zealot
Zealot

Postby hypervirtue » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:44 am

Doresh wrote:I knew I forgot something. Though I'm not sure if the Flaw is needed. It's the Batmobile, after all :mrgreen:

We are fighting our enemy in an alien space craft currently travelling through hyperspace. The Bat mobile was parked on Earth...

"I summon the Batmobile."

Just. No. Someone will do it. If they can, they will.

If they fits they sits.
One can lift a rock with pure power, but a pure heart can move mountains.

Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Narsil » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:50 am

The explanation is of course that the Batmobile was of course fitted with a Mother Box so it can open a boom tube at will just in case Batman needed to run someone over while in space. I mean, it's Batman. I'd be more surprised if he hadn't kitted out his car with a bunch of super sci-fi gadgets and teleport devices that allowed him to summon gadgets from across the universe.

More seriously, I'd add the line area to that effect. It makes sense since the Batmobile is a wide object moving along a path and therefore would do damage which fits that pattern.
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

'Oil, an emergency? About time the people who run this planet of yours realize that to be dependent upon a mineral slime just doesn't make sense.'
-The Fourth Doctor, Terror of the Zygons

Doresh
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Doresh » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:31 pm

Of course he doesn't summon the Batmobile inside a spaceship. That's where you summon the flying Batbike :mrgreen:

(Or just make it a Complication because Batman loses access of a part of his Utility Belt.)

Return to “DC Adventures”