Selective or Precise Growth?

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
Arlyansor
Groupie
Groupie

Selective or Precise Growth?

Postby Arlyansor » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:08 pm

Hiya,

I have a player who wants his Growth character able to selectively enlarge individual body parts (and given this particular player, that definitely means he'll find some way to enlarge his junk during a game session...)

Is this best modeled with Growth with the Selective extra or the Precise extra?

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Selective or Precise Growth?

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:20 pm

I would probably go for Selective. Precise would be the ability to grow to more discrete sizes, say being able to make oneself exactly 6' 5.25" tall with proportional increase in the body's size. Either way, it's more of a fluff ability than anything else. If he actually wants different powers (say, growing only his fist to get increased striking damage), I'd rule that he needs to build those as APs or Power Stunt them.

Arlyansor
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Arlyansor » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:24 am

Thanks FuzzyBoots.

I was thinking much the same, but just wanted to sound out another to make sure.

He'll probably take both Selective & Precise (knowing him, he will...) so we'll go that way.

Thanks again,

Arlyansor

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:17 am

Arlyansor wrote:I have a player who wants his Growth character able to selectively enlarge individual body parts (and given this particular player, that definitely means he'll find some way to enlarge his junk during a game session...)

hmmmmmm, sounds like the enhanced advantage "attractive" with a very specific intended audience :lol:

Arlyansor wrote:Is this best modeled with Growth with the Selective extra or the Precise extra?

I'll be honest, that sounds less like Growth & more like a descriptor for other powers. The best thing to do is to ask one very simple question: What does this selective growth achieve? Once you've figured out what the effect is then you can build it from the powers listed in the book.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Postby greycrusader » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:38 pm

As I wrote up Rita Farr/Elasti-Woman for DC Adventures, and she had exactly the same power set, I agree with St. Matthew above. That variant of Growth is just a descriptor for other powers, possibly linked to one or more ranks of Elongation. Oversized fists and feet just add Damage to Str, with perhaps Area Effect added, projecting eyes and ears is just Extended Senses, and other applications...I leave to your imagination.

As far as being able to grow to a very specific height, I honestly wouldn't treat that as anything more than a 1 point Feature, as it has almost no game effect whatsoever.

All my best.
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...

Fists of Dorn
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Fists of Dorn » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:14 pm

Arlyansor wrote:Hiya,

I have a player who wants his Growth character able to selectively enlarge individual body parts (and given this particular player, that definitely means he'll find some way to enlarge his junk during a game session...)

Is this best modeled with Growth with the Selective extra or the Precise extra?

Take a look at how the Precise Extra is used with Insubstantial (another power that modifies the entire body of a character):

M&M3E Hero's Handbook- Insubstantial- p.115 wrote:Precise: This modifier allows you to selectively make some portions of your body insubstantial while keeping others substantial (or vice versa). This allows you to do things like reach through a wall, solidify your hand to pick up an object or tap someone on the shoulder (or punch them in the face), and become incorporeal again to withdraw it on the following round. Flat +1 point.

Selective is far too great a cost for the ability to selectively grow specific parts of the character's anatomy.

-Fists.

Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Earth-Two_Kenn » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:13 pm

It shouldn't be the Growth power at all.

If it's just your legs (increasing your stride) it's Speed. Most other body parts, it's Elongation.

Might even be putting the Area extra on your strength (giant hand or giant foot).

Look at the overall effect of what's being done and find the appropriate Power.
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net

Return to “DC Adventures”