Adding a bit of Horror

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
Dr.Crane
Bystander
Bystander

Adding a bit of Horror

Postby Dr.Crane » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:16 pm

I am planning on Running Emerald City Knights for a new group that I trying to wrangle together.
And I am sitting here wondering on how to use my newly purchased Supernatural Handbook. I am a big fan of Lovecraft and his tales of horror and I was thinking on how to add it into the Knights campaign line.
Has anyone else done this? How did it go adding Horrors to a Rock em Sock em team of Supers?

mattador
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Adding a bit of Horror

Postby mattador » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:21 pm

It's something I've always wanted to try but never have. I recommend JLA: Scary Monsters as a source read though.

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Monolith » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:01 am

I'd think it's just as question of changing the overall purpose of the ECK story. Instead of it being cosmic make it dimensional. The silver story is caused by a mystic trying to protect the earth from a dimensional invasion. Then incorporating Time of Vengeance into the last half of the ECK series rather then chapters 5/6.

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Greyman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:06 pm

Emerald City Knights is a setting where pre-existing idealistic superheroes form a new team of caped crusaders, in a city unused to their presence, to cope with the aftermath of a mysterious event.

Adding supernatural elements to the setting is easily just a matter of altering the nature of the Silver Storm, or alternatively having something else awakened by the events that followed.

Horror elements are harder to incorporate. Innocent bystanders can be readily horrified, but with the superheroes you will soon run into the "But we can punch Cthulhu" effect.

I'm reminded of an opening scene from an issue of Comico's "The Elementals".

---

Four young people are unwisely out on the town in a city whose night life is anything but lively. It's late at night in a street that is eerily devoid of traffic. The street lighting has been sabotaged and is intermittent. Businesses are closed and locked tight, and obviously nobody has been out to collect garbage or sweep up the litter. The only other foot traffic ooze out from nooks and alleys to shamble towards the teenagers. They encircle them menacingly, then suddenly loom and bare their fangs.

It's a classic opening scene for a horror show. However, instead of "Holey crap, vampires!" the cry that erupts is "Alright! It's clobbering time!"

The teenagers themselves transform and quickly turn the tables. Vampires are punched into the ground by fists of rock, their claws scrabbling off the suddenly armored hide of the small boy turned into a man mountain. Jets of holey water smash others against the walls and mop up the remains. Gouts of flame and magnesium bright flares incinerate others. Those that try to escape as bats or mist are captured in a vortex of wind and dragged back into the slaughter.

The battle is over in moments, and the issue soon takes a completely different turn as details of mopping up a routine vampire infestation isn't really that important to the overall plot.

---

Or something like that. It was ages ago, but it stuck with me, mostly because it was my introduction to the series.

You can have dark, supernatural themes, but, if you have super-powers you don't really have classic horror. Accept that, and have fun with what you do get from the mix.

Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Earth-Two_Kenn » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:45 pm

You want true horror in the super hero genre? Use the Urinal Cake 4 method.

1) Give every character's costume a high neck collar, a chin guard, or extraneous metal bits on semi naked limbs.

2) Also add in extra black lines all over their uniforms so they resemble armour; especially on the naturally invulnerable types.

3) Add lots of sharp weapons.

4) Get rid of every character's most noble character traits.

5) Flush continuity in large quantities but sporadically.

6) Annul all marriages among characters.

7) Attach the word "New" with some overused number to name the whole campaign.

That should terrify your players.

(Any resemblance to any publisher's current output is purely coincidental.)
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net

Dr.Crane
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Dr.Crane » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:53 pm

All of these are great ideas :D
Thanks guys. I am really digging altering the Storms origin and throwing in some Extra-Dimensional Madness :twisted:

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:27 pm

Earth-Two_Kenn wrote:You want true horror in the super hero genre? Use the Urinal Cake 4 method.

1) Give every character's costume a high neck collar, a chin guard, or extraneous metal bits on semi naked limbs.

2) Also add in extra black lines all over their uniforms so they resemble armour; especially on the naturally invulnerable types.

3) Add lots of sharp weapons.

4) Get rid of every character's most noble character traits.

5) Flush continuity in large quantities but sporadically.

6) Annul all marriages among characters.

7) Attach the word "New" with some overused number to name the whole campaign.

8 ) Suddenly start counting session by sub-divisions of whole numbers. Okay folks welcome to session 7.12

9) After session 7.12 we obviously need a session 0

10) If any player ever smiles, punch him in the face, if he starts a new relationship kill something he loves.... Every player needs to be miserable, because "edgy"

11) Have the biggest NPC hero in the setting build a Dyson Sphere around the sun, without any insight from anyone else on the planet.... Because "edgy".

12) Ever 4 sessions (or 8 oddly numbered sessions) announce a new event thats happening in a different game none of your players are in & then pull them in as bit characters

13) During this "event" make sure to destroy everything every character has been working towards, because "edgy."

14) Make sure to kill off a character during this event in a less than heroic fashion just to show "this time we are serious & so edgy it hurts."

I like this game, its a lot of fun. Anyone else want to add anything?
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Postby Foreshadow » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:36 pm

First and foremost isolate the characters

Second make death permanent, that is very much unlike 4-color. If superman or thor or captain america dies, they are in fact dead and if they ever return it would be as a fundamentally altered character, like a ghost, or a twisted zombie. Imagine if Cap had died, and come back a new villain much like the Marvel version of Solomn Grundy and now in league with Red Skull. THAT IS HORROR!! for a comic at least and for comic fans who know, with untold dread in their hearts that in fact Marvel will not ever return back to them their beloved patriot Captain America.

Return to “DC Adventures”