2 DC Gods Questions

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
Armos Black
Bystander
Bystander

2 DC Gods Questions

Postby Armos Black » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:10 pm

1. How could you put the Norse pantheon (not the Marvel version) into a DC universe?

2. Aren't the New Gods only like a couple thousand years old? If they are far older, how would Norse gods be worshipped on Earth. I believe their creation was from Ragnarok correct?

Thank you in advance.

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Re: 2 DC Gods Questions

Postby Bladewind » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:25 am

The same way you would the DC gods. Choose a method of how you want them interpreted and go from there. Some overlap with Marvel version is inevitable as the comics draw heavily from the mythology (even if they change it up to suit their needs.)

Like everything in the comics world, time is mutable and adaptable to the given story. One version of the DC gods is that the New Gods believe themselves (Darksied at least) to be the progenitors of the races that became the gods on Earth and other worlds.

Ragnarok is the twilight of the gods. It is the final battle where most of them die.

In order to introduce the Norse Gods into a DC setting I would use the tried and true strategy of designing a character and using it as the reason for them returning and then build them up that way. Have your gods evolved (or were they evolved to begin with and our myths and legends merely made them understandable)? For instance, Athena in DC has been drawn as the maid in a toga with a helmet, and also as a business woman with a laptop.

The best thing you can do to do a Norse Pantheon that is not Marvel's in DC is to not focus on Thor.

Beleriphon
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Beleriphon » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:36 am

Armos Black wrote:1. How could you put the Norse pantheon (not the Marvel version) into a DC universe?

2. Aren't the New Gods only like a couple thousand years old? If they are far older, how would Norse gods be worshipped on Earth. I believe their creation was from Ragnarok correct?

Thank you in advance.

1. Add them in as you choose. I'd just treat them like the Greek ones in DC though. As for worries about Ragnarok keep in mind that a number of the Asgard and Vanir survive including many of the children of the gods. Magnus and Modi for example are the heirs of Thor.

2. You are correct on the age of the New Gods. I believe the Norse religions were worshiped well before the fall of the Roman Empire in one manner or another so I suspect that the worship evolved from the original entities.

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:48 pm

Armos Black wrote:1. How could you put the Norse pantheon (not the Marvel version) into a DC universe?

They already are part of post crisis/pre-flashpoint DC. In "The Last Days of the Justice Society" special, the JSA are trapped in Limbo fighting Ragnarok. Yes, it was later revealed to be a false ragnarok, but to have a false ragnarok you kind of have to have a real one planned. :D

To reintroduce the Norse Pantheon just have the realms of Asgard be another set of higher planes & have Odin & his ilk decide they aren'y interested in Midgard anymore... Until something draws there attention back.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:24 am

Odin is also a wanderer in many of he myths... the quintessential nomad with the staff to lean on, something akin to a wide hat to cover his eye...

Nothing says he could not have fathered demi-gods...

The gods could return because Odin is somewhere on Midgard, masking his godhood and they need him because Heimdall has seen the signs taht Ragnarok is approaching...

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:32 am

Oh oh oh, i've got it.

*ahem*

The Norse gods left Earth for a new home among the stars, where they prospered until the final days of there reign, a ragnarok that destroyed the entire planet.... That planet was named Krypton. :lol:
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Damren
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Damren » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:48 pm

As to the Norse Gods, I think it depends on how you want them played in the game. If they are to be like the Greek Gods are currently depicted, you can just add them back in, explaining their absence to the cyclic nature of Ragnarok. You could play out some event in which the heroes or villains end up unlocking the Bifrost and opening the way to Asgard.

Or, you can take a page from Marvel and have the gods reborn on Earth, allowing characters to play the parts of gods who have only regained their awareness and have yet to harness their powers. They need the Apples of Gold, their ancient weapons - which fell to Midgard when Asgard was destroyed, and they need to find the shattered remnants of the Bifrost in order to return to Asgard and rebuild their ancient home. I think it would be a hell of a campaign.

Return to “DC Adventures”