Protection (Affects Objects Only)

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
Doctor Vile
Sidekick
Sidekick

Protection (Affects Objects Only)

Postby Doctor Vile » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:42 am

I was looking for a way to increase the toughness of objects that I touch. Is the protection power with the Affects Objects Only extra/flaw the best way to do this? Is this even possible within the rules of the game? For instance I want to be able to touch a window with say a toughness of 1 or what have you and use my Protection power with 12 ranks to make the window have a 13 toughness.
"If you're not cheating, you're not trying."

Laughingcrow
Sidekick
Sidekick

Re: Protection (Affects Objects Only)

Postby Laughingcrow » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:30 am

You can certainly do this: Protection, affects objects only (-1/rank), affects others only (+0/rank) = 2 points per rank

Standard duration is permanent, so this also would make your protection permanent until you shifted it away (I'd suggest the reversible flaw and some form of "Slow Fades" flaw to represent that the objects' hardness isn't permanent. Best time duration would until the end of the scene).

It will also still be limited by PL obviously, without the need for any additional flaws or quirks.

Doctor Vile
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Doctor Vile » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:10 pm

Laughingcrow wrote:You can certainly do this: Protection, affects objects only (-1/rank), affects others only (+0/rank) = 2 points per rank

Standard duration is permanent, so this also would make your protection permanent until you shifted it away (I'd suggest the reversible flaw and some form of "Slow Fades" flaw to represent that the objects' hardness isn't permanent. Best time duration would until the end of the scene).

It will also still be limited by PL obviously, without the need for any additional flaws or quirks.

What do you mean by limited by PL? Do you mean that if our PL is set to 12 that I can't add more than 12 ranks of toughness to something or I can't increase anything toughness higher than 12? For instance, could I use my 12 rank Protection to increase a steel walls toughness to say 23 assuming a steel wall starts at 11 toughness?

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Monolith » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:21 pm

If you are only wishing to beef up inanimate objects you can use transform. Transform only works on inanimate objects. You can simply transform something to greater toughness.

Doctor Vile
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Doctor Vile » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:36 pm

Monolith wrote:If you are only wishing to beef up inanimate objects you can use transform. Transform only works on inanimate objects. You can simply transform something to greater toughness.

Is there a limit to Transform besides the amount you can do? Say for instance, can I turn that glass window with a normally 1 toughness into a glass window with a 15 toughness providing I have the ranks of transform to cover it's weight?

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Monolith » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:04 pm

Doctor Vile wrote:
Monolith wrote:If you are only wishing to beef up inanimate objects you can use transform. Transform only works on inanimate objects. You can simply transform something to greater toughness.

Is there a limit to Transform besides the amount you can do? Say for instance, can I turn that glass window with a normally 1 toughness into a glass window with a 15 toughness providing I have the ranks of transform to cover it's weight?

No, there's no limit, other then the gm. You can turn glass into vibranium glass or wood into steel wood.

Laughingcrow
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Laughingcrow » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:35 pm

Doctor Vile wrote:What do you mean by limited by PL? Do you mean that if our PL is set to 12 that I can't add more than 12 ranks of toughness to something or I can't increase anything toughness higher than 12? For instance, could I use my 12 rank Protection to increase a steel walls toughness to say 23 assuming a steel wall starts at 11 toughness?

Well generally effects like Toughness which grants a bonus to saves is limited to the series PL. Of course, NPCs do not necessarily have to abide by the rules like that, but most GMs I know will indeed say that if the series PL is 12, for instance, you cannot make an object have a hardness greater than 12. It's mostly due to balance reasons, because what is keeping you from turning your Volkswagen into a battle tank.

Transform also works, but can only transform things into existing materials in the campaign - so make sure your campaign has "vibranium glass", "steel wood" or "adamantium". In a fantasy campaign, I am unlikely to be able to make something into "space-processed tungsten steel" but "mithril" might be fine.

The difference between the two abilities is that if you transform it, it is actually made of that substance. So if you turn it into vibranium glass, it is vibranium glass, not normal glass with a high toughness.
It generally is also a lot more expensive, because you are likely to need the Everything to Everything version, which is 5 per rank and affects a certain quantity of material; you will need to pay extra to make it last longer than its standard duration (I believe it's Sustained standard, but I am not sure).

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Monolith » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:02 pm

You're not transforming anything into anything. At best you're simply transforming x into x with more toughness. Looking at some of the examples in power profile I doubt I'd call that more then 3 points.

Return to “DC Adventures”