Help with a PC similar to Hawkman.

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Help with a PC similar to Hawkman.

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:23 am

1) Hawkaman in the new 52 have the ability of create weapons that emerge fro his body. How to make this in game? I think variable, even create, or an array of weapons that can not be disarmed, what's the best way?
2) How to make the ability of enhance or diminish the albedo of the armor?

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Help with a PC similar to Hawkman.

Postby saint_matthew » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:03 am

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:1) Hawkaman in the new 52 have the ability of create weapons that emerge fro his body. How to make this in game? I think variable, even create, or an array of weapons that can not be disarmed, what's the best way?
2) How to make the ability of enhance or diminish the albedo of the armor?

Its just Strike 10, with the "Variable Descriptor"extra.

As for the ablative armour, its just Protection with the "Fades" flaw.

Come on Alex, give me a hard question :lol:
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:46 pm

1) Strike is what Close Range Damage (or just Damage) was called in 2e. Otherwise, I mostly agree with saint_matthew. How you make the weapon is just the descriptor; the Effect is that you can deal additional Damage. Since you can't be disarmed or can always make another when you need it, you wouldn't use the Removable Flaw.

saint_matthew's build would always be a Close Range Damage 10 weapon, but could look like a hammer or an axe or a sword or whatever. You could also buy it Strength-Based, so it would add to Str, but any loss of Str would mean the weapon would also weaken.

If all of the weapons are close range, this would work fine for most weapons. If you occasionally wanted something a little more exotic (long spear with Reach, chain weapon with Improved Grab or Trip), you could just power stunt it.

2) If by "albedo" you mean the light-reflectiveness of the armor, that's got nothing to do with ablative or Fades. If you can just change it from bright to dark, that would be a Feature, maybe with a +2 bonus to stealth for matching it to your environment. If it's bright enough to blind opponents or can reflect energy attacks, those are different effects. So what exactly do you want to happen?
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby saint_matthew » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:55 am

JDRook wrote:saint_matthew's build would always be a Close Range Damage 10 weapon

Um, isn't the NU52 version of Hawkmans weapons always melee? I could be wrong, as i'm not reading the title.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Earth-Two_Kenn » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:54 am

No one was, which is why the title was canned. (Thank God.)
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:15 am

saint_matthew wrote:
JDRook wrote:saint_matthew's build would always be a Close Range Damage 10 weapon

Um, isn't the NU52 version of Hawkmans weapons always melee? I could be wrong, as i'm not reading the title.

I haven't read any of 52, but if we take a page from Hawkman's Wikipedia entry:
All versions of Hawkman preferred to use archaic weaponry - particularly maces, nets, spears, and shields - rather than modern or futuristic weapons.

Just those 4 weapons make for a good range of effects, and could all be part of any array:

Hawkman's Arsenal - 6p pool + 2 AEs = 8p
Mace/Warhammer/Sword/Spear/Etc - Str-based Damage 3, Improved Critical, Variable Descriptor (5p)
Shield - +3 Dodge/Parry (6p)
Net - Improved Disarm/Grab/Trip, STR +3 Limited to Disarm/Grab/Trip (6p)

This allows for the use of one weapon at a time. Looking at it, it might be more effective to take the Melee Weapons power out of the Array and just have the Shield+Net as a kind of "offhand" array, allowing for the use of weapon and shield (or weapon and net) at the same time in a more gladiatorial style, which really fits Hawkman well. Splitting it up like that would give a total cost of 12p (5 for melee, 7 for shield/net).
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My Rules Musings in 3e

Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Earth-Two_Kenn » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:23 pm

Well, it depends on how much like Hawkman Alex_Unlimited wants, and how much like the Nu-52 Hawkman pretender that he wants.

Hawkman favoured maces, nets, shields, etc. The New 52 "Hawkman" generates semi-identifiable giant weapons out of his body. And I believe that's what Alex_Unlimited is aiming for and is closer to what Saint_Matthew described.

What you described, JDR, are any of my Hawkmen from 1939-2011.
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:01 pm

I don't want Hawkman, but I really like when metal weapons emerge from flesh and take their form. :D
I've make my character, and he has this array:
Nilith Arsenal (10 points)
Melee Nilith Weapons: strike 5, strenght-based, variable descriptor (10 points)
Ranged Nilith Weapons: strike 10, ranged, inaccurate. (1 point)

Strike can be ranged, right? :lol:

The inaccurate flaw (only one rank, so -2 to hit) is justified because my character must cut the ending part of his arrow that emerges from his hand with the "wire rope" of the bow before fire it.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:46 pm

As written, your costs are wrong. Component costs in {brackets}, corrections in bold:

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:Nilith Arsenal (20 points)
Melee Nilith Weapons: strike 5 {5p}, strenght-based {0p}, variable descriptor {+1p} (6 points)
Ranged Nilith Weapons: strike 10 {10p}, ranged {+1p/rank for +10p}, inaccurate {-1p}. (19 point)

Strike can be ranged, right? :lol:

Yes, Strike (or Damage) can be Ranged, but it costs you +1p/rank, so 10p to make 10 ranks Ranged. Inaccurate is a flat Flaw saving you 1p for a -2 attack penalty. The Array you built would have the Ranged Weapons (presumably a bow or very bow-like) as the largest power for 19p, and you would add on the Melee Weapons as an Alternate for 1p, so 20p total. On the plus side, you could easily make the Melee Damage a higher rank, as long as it doesn't break PL combined with your Hawkman's STR and total Close Combat bonus.

You may want to look a little more carefully at the section on Modifiers.

My Rules Musings in 3e

Return to “DC Adventures”