How create the new 52 Animal Man?

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

How create the new 52 Animal Man?

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:17 am

I would play Animal Man, but with the new 52 changes. It's the same character, but he has limited metamorph effects, that allows him to assume an hybrid form between human and the animal from which he draws his powers. I think to add morph, with rank 3 + metamorph (20 points total), but the variability of Animal Man is incredible, and metamorph is very limited. :(
What's your suggestions?

saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Re: How create the new 52 Animal Man?

Postby saint_matthew » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:32 am

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:I would play Animal Man, but with the new 52 changes. It's the same character, but he has limited metamorph effects, that allows him to assume an hybrid form between human and the animal from which he draws his powers. I think to add morph, with rank 3 + metamorph (20 points total), but the variability of Animal Man is incredible, and metamorph is very limited. :(
What's your suggestions?

Just variable effect: Keep it simple
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov

thaumonuclear
Comrade
Comrade

Postby thaumonuclear » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:02 am

Might be simpler to have use Metamorph and have forms of "Tough Animal" "Fast Animal" "Flying Animal", etc. to cover the most basic categories (does it matter that much statiscally whether you're a bear or a rhino?) Then add a small variable pool to cover the more unusual abilities you'd want (Poison sting, spider silk, feign death, sonar)

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:15 am

He still has variable.
With metamorph I must build an entire alternate character?

Earth-Two_Kenn
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Earth-Two_Kenn » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:20 am

You don't need to change his powers. Add lines to his costume to make it look more like solid armour; add a priest's collar to the neck; don't let him and Ellen be married - so no kids either. And generally act like a paranoid douchebag.

What you do need to do is have him always favour animal abilities that stab and gore. The charging and horn of a rhinoceros; the tusks of an elephant; the bite of a crocodile, etc.
Over eleven hundred DCA/M&M Character builds at http://www.rcuhero.net

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:22 am

Some new build examples, please? :roll:

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Monolith » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:04 am

As far as I remember the character from 52, from a powers point of view the only difference between pre and post 52 Animal Man is that he now vaguely looks like the animals he copies to get his powers. You can treat that as a 1 point quirk: Must look vaguely like the animal he is copying. All the other changes are origin and background rather then powers.

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:49 am

Yes, but this make he more powerful, I remember.

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Monolith » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:02 pm

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:Yes, but this make he more powerful, I remember.

Being more powerful means nothing, as there's no way of determining how powerful he was pre-52.

Plus I'm fairly sure if he took the strength of an elephant pre-52 he's not taking more strength then the elephant has post-52. An elephant's strength is the same whether he looks all elephanty or not. :)

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:10 pm

Alex_UNLIMITED wrote:Some new build examples, please?

The official build of pre-52 Animal Man has him as a very underpointed PL11, with an 8 rank Variable (Physical Traits of Animals). You could easily bump that up another rank or two, add in the Quirk (which might be considered equivalent to Noticeable) and still have a sub-150p build.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Alex_UNLIMITED
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby Alex_UNLIMITED » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:05 am

Thanks, I've other question about Animal Man here.

Return to “DC Adventures”