mimic or variable or smth else?

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.
cenderme84
Bystander
Bystander

mimic or variable or smth else?

Postby cenderme84 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:30 am

Hi there,

i want to create a power in a one piece anime world game. it's like that;

so there are some powers which user can get it by eating a devil fruit. so he can make flames, lava, turn their body parts in to something else etc. So my character can copy anny attacks or abilities of friends or foes which appeals to only 5 senses of the user. so He can't throw fire from his hands or create acin in his mouth but its something like, hearing a bird and imitate it or taste or smell a food and never forget it. Touching an object(wood, metal etc) make the part of his body which user decide from that object. seeing a physical move a kick or punch he can imitate it but maybe not powerful as the original.

So what must my power be like?

Thanks for your concern...

Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Re: mimic or variable or smth else?

Postby Monolith » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:13 am

What you want is variable effect. Mimic is just a variable effect given a specific name.

cenderme84
Bystander
Bystander

Postby cenderme84 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:11 pm

so can you create the power please?

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:30 am

Mimic Feature 1 (Sound Mimicry), Variable X (For imitating traits of objects and people

That's the basic effect right there. If you want him to be able to, say, touch a piece of metal and then punch someone with a metal fist in the same round, you'd have to buy the Activation of his Variable down to a Move or even a Free Action.

As for uses of his variable copying a metal will usually give you things like Protection, some Enhanced Strength, possibly along with Strength-based Damage. Same thing with stone or other hard objects.

Imitating physical things like punches or kicks could also be strength-based damage (depending on the character's base Strength and the strength of the person he's imitating) along with possibly some Enhanced Skills & Advantages to represent more close combat ability.

cenderme84
Bystander
Bystander

Postby cenderme84 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:07 am

Thanks for all answers i think i could start to smth. if i got any more question about the build i ask :)

cenderme84
Bystander
Bystander

Postby cenderme84 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:09 am

"Mimic Feature 1" isnt this two power? is feature 1 power setting under mimic power? Also how can i show remembering taste or smell of something later?

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:29 am

I would just call remembering Eidetic Memory, if you really wanna write it out.

That Mimic build is one power, two effects. The Feature stands alone, it is not part of the Variable.

cenderme84
Bystander
Bystander

Postby cenderme84 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:35 am

will it be like this?

Mimic
->Feature 1 (power setting for imitate sounds)
->Variable x (power setting for imitate objects or other person's traits)
->Eidetic Memory adv. (power setting for remembering taste and smell)

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:52 pm

Pretty much.

cenderme84
Bystander
Bystander

Postby cenderme84 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:06 pm

Arthur Eld wrote:
As for uses of his variable copying a metal will usually give you things like Protection, some Enhanced Strength, possibly along with Strength-based Damage. Same thing with stone or other hard objects.

so i decided to make it hard and soft objects and maybe limit them. what about soft object's traits can be? maybe he soften his hand and arm by touching a piece of cotton than put his hand through a key hole and turn his hand normal but not his arm. Than open door from other side.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:00 pm

cenderme84 wrote:what about soft object's traits can be? maybe he soften his hand and arm by touching a piece of cotton than put his hand through a key hole and turn his hand normal but not his arm. Than open door from other side.

Taking on "soft" traits so a PC is malleable enough to do that could be Insubstantial 1, which allows for flowing through small spaces or under doors and even absorbing the shock of catching people. An Immunity to Bludgeoning attacks (Half or Full Effect) might be appropriate as well.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Return to “DC Adventures”