Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Limited (3rd degree only)

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.

Limited (3rd degree only)

Postby Millennium » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:11 am

Hi folks,

I've seen the Flaw: Limited (3rd degree only) listed in at least one example of the Affliction in a Power Profile.

How do you see this working? Is it the 2/r version of Limited (degree) or a separate 1/r Limited flaw? Also, if it's limited to 3rd degree only does that mean the affected person has to get three degrees of failure for the power to work at all?

Otherwise, I'm a little confused. Limited to Max effect doesn't necessarily feel like a flaw with Affliction.
Millennium
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: Limited (3rd degree only)

Postby thaumonuclear » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:32 am

Limited Degree (3rd degree only) is first described in the Mental Powers profile, I believe. It -1/rank. If you don't achieve 3 degrees of effect, there is no effect.

It doesn't say, but I assume the rule about the worst effect happening for minions still applies, so minions still receive 3rd degree if they fail their save at all.
thaumonuclear
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Millennium » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:36 am

Cool, that's where I was leaning as it made most sense as a flaw to me. Thanks!
Millennium
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby JDRook » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:47 pm

You would still keep track of 1st and 2nd degree for Cumulative or Progressive Afflictions, but 3rd Degree only would mean those lesser Degrees would inflict no Conditions.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e
JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby ursinethemadbear » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:03 pm

Seems like this would be perfect for transformation or mind control that feel like they should be all or nothing. Which power profile was it in?
Life is what happens while I am busy gaming.
I use DCA, unless I state otherwise, all my posts are for DCA. I assume that 3ed is the same, but might be wrong in specific areas.

ursinethemadbear
Zealot
Zealot

Postby JDRook » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:15 pm

It was introduced in Mental Powers and has had some use in others, I believe.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e
JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Return to DC Adventures