Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Linked powers and flaws.

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.

Linked powers and flaws.

Postby Plantman » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:51 pm

So as I understand it you when you make a linked power you create two separate powers then combine them into one. However I was wondering how flaws come into play?

For example the character Gorgon has an affliction power linked to ranged damage to represent her gaze transforming her enemies into stone when they lock eyes. So it would look like: Ranged Cumulative Affliction (hindered, immobile, transformed resisted by fortitude) linked to Ranged Damage. Now to keep on theme and to decrease power points the player wants this attack to have the Sense-dependent flaw. Now as the rules read to me you can apply the flaw to both linked powers. Which I assume since they are linked the target only makes one dodge check instead of two. But this seems cheap, you are discounting two sides of the power but only have one flaw. Is this really how it works? You can add the same flaw to multiple linked powers and get a great discount while only suffering the flaw’s affect once?

Further what if you like a power with another with the Fades flaw, once one side runs out do both powers quit working? Or just one effect in the link?

Finally I have one last question that does not involve flaws but still deal with linked powers? I know under linked it says two of the same power cannot be linked (no double damage). However what about afflictions? Normally you can make an affliction power with multiple conditions slapped onto an opponent at each degree of failure. The problem is what if I want an affliction with multiple degrees of failure combined with another with only one degree of failure. Taking the above example the player that is making Gorgon not only wants her opponents to turn to stone but also be transfixed on her. So could she add to the powers above another linked affliction with limited degree (2nd and 3rd) or is that too broke. Another example is maybe a character that fires a rocket that deals damage to one target as a normal ranged attack but then explodes into the area. As long as the area attack does not affect the person hit with the rocket wouldn't that be ok?
Plantman
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Linked powers and flaws.

Postby Murkglow » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:03 pm

Plantman wrote:But this seems cheap, you are discounting two sides of the power but only have one flaw. Is this really how it works? You can add the same flaw to multiple linked powers and get a great discount while only suffering the flaw’s affect once?

A Flaw must be a flaw, no free refunds. If the second copy of the flaw does nothing in a linked power then you may not take it. Only if the two flaws combine or both apply in some way do you get the discount for both. This isn't unique to Linked powers, with any Flaw if it's not actually hurting you to take it then it's not a viable pick (and even if it is hurting you, how much it hurts determines the points refund you get or whether it's really just a complication).

For example you could not put Distracting on both parts of a Linked power since they don't stack, you just put it on one part and move on. Tiring on the other hand can be put on both if you want to. If you just put it on one part of the power then whenever you use the linked power you become Fatigued. However if you have it on both sides of a linked power then you become Fatigued twice which becomes Exhaustion (Fatigue is fairly unique in the combining conditions thing since this works like Extra Effort).

Plantman wrote:Further what if you like a power with another with the Fades flaw, once one side runs out do both powers quit working? Or just one effect in the link?

Both stop working. Linked powers only work together. If you can no longer use one of them for whatever reason you can't use the other one either.

Plantman wrote:I know under linked it says two of the same power cannot be linked (no double damage). However what about afflictions?

The Extra Condition Extra pretty much does this already without the whole linking thing, just don't take the extra 2nd/3rd conditions if you really don't want them (I'll often ignore the second 3rd degree affliction when I add Extra Condition to Afflictions).

Plantman wrote:Another example is maybe a character that fires a rocket that deals damage to one target as a normal ranged attack but then explodes into the area. As long as the area attack does not affect the person hit with the rocket wouldn't that be ok?

What you want here is done with the Area Extra but bought as a Partial Modifier. Basically you buy Damage and add the Area extra to it but you don't buy the area to its full amount (so like Damage 10, Area 9). Then you attack the main target like normal with Damage 10 and the area around him is hit with the Damage 9 Area attack. The book uses this as an example of Partial Modifieres in fact.
Murkglow
Paragon
Paragon

Re: Linked powers and flaws.

Postby Greyman » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:47 am

Plantman wrote:For example the character Gorgon has an affliction power linked to ranged damage to represent her gaze transforming her enemies into stone when they lock eyes. So it would look like: Ranged Cumulative Affliction (hindered, immobile, transformed resisted by fortitude) linked to Ranged Damage. Now to keep on theme and to decrease power points the player wants this attack to have the Sense-dependent flaw. Now as the rules read to me you can apply the flaw to both linked powers. Which I assume since they are linked the target only makes one dodge check instead of two. But this seems cheap, you are discounting two sides of the power but only have one flaw. Is this really how it works? You can add the same flaw to multiple linked powers and get a great discount while only suffering the flaw’s affect once?
If only one linked effect had the Sense-Dependent flaw, then the Dodge resistance would only protect against that effect and not the other.
Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Return to DC Adventures