Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Event books..

Join the never-ending battle for truth and justice in the world's greatest super-hero universe, using the world's greatest super-hero roleplaying game! This forum is for discussion of DC ADVENTURES.

Event books..

Postby savijmuhdrox » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:02 am

I have recently picked up an event book by DC's competitor, Marvel for their RPG game..

I'm not looking to debate the two products, I'm merely wondering if DC Adventures plans to do a similar thing.

For information purposes, Marvel's game has an instruction manual, and then separate "Event" books(like the Civil War, for example). these books contain steps to re-enact the various acts of the event and they have relevant character files as well.

Since DC has their instruction manual, and loads more characters in the character volumes.. is it feasible or even in the works to do event booklets as well...?

I was thinking there could be one for Blackest Night, or one that follows along with the various animated movies/shows?
For a healthy dose of stupid, @Railbended
savijmuhdrox
Henchman
Henchman

Re: Event books..

Postby Mr Mole » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:08 am

Jon's responded to similar questions with a consistent "no."

The DC deal was for four books. We've seen three so far and the fourth should be available fairly soon. No plans for any other DC book deal has been announced... And, personally, I'd be extremely surprised if such a deal was to materialize in the near future.
Mr Mole
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby K.G. Carlson » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:44 pm

And with what books are available for DC, the rules work is already done in terms of statting things out. Sure, you might need to spend a little time tweaking your specific Black Lanterns out, but a read through of your comics and with the H&V and Universe books you should be good to go.
"More powerful than a locomotive...and about as subtle!"
--Joker

Say goodbye to gravity, say goodbye to death
Hello to eternity and live for every breath
-The Wicker Man, Iron Maiden
K.G. Carlson
Zealot
Zealot

Postby savijmuhdrox » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:35 pm

Yeah, putting the adventure together is basically the fun part anyway so I'm not disappointed or anything. just wondering.
For a healthy dose of stupid, @Railbended
savijmuhdrox
Henchman
Henchman

Postby greycrusader » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:01 pm

For better or worse, DC Editorial (or perhaps their superiors at WB) largely rebooted their universe (=rpg game setting); this means most Events (from the COIE almost a generation ago to One Year Later and IC not so long back) have been largely negated, or else radically altered in the canonical timeline.

Rather clearly, there was no Identity Crisis in the nu52, nor The Death of Superman (though Superboy and sort-of-Steel exist), Bruce Wayne did go missing for awhile, lost in time, but not as result of Final Crisis. The Sinestro Corp-Green Lanterns War did not involve Superboy-Prime, Cyborg Superman, or the Anti-Monitor (probably), though similar extraterrestrial/dimensional figures may have fulfilled their roles. There were no earlier Teen Titans or New Titans, so the nu52 Earth has never been invaded by Trigon. And so on.

(I've never been hung up on continuity, even in a shared universe, though such should make a semblence of "hanging together, but I admit I appreciate most of the #0 issues filling in some backstory).

Honestly, even if the reboot hadn't happened, books after the Atlas were always an iffy proposition, though if the Marvel game is a success, then the former editorial lineup might have been open to a GR pitch to continue the line. As the situation unfolded, no way.

All my best.
The Contingent: When all other super teams fail...
greycrusader
Superhero
Superhero

Postby saint_matthew » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:24 pm

I did have an idea for an event book, but not a Marvel or a DC one... an Emerald/Freedom Event book. Once Emerald City is out for a year, an event transpires that is so major, that all the heroes are involved in stopping it somehow: Lets say alien invaison.

The book would detail the events that lead up to the event, the major events during the event & how the event is eventually resolved (With insertion points for our heroes). It would also include a book of villains important to tthe story, along with the stats for the common minions, vehicles & devices.

It would also contain a group of mission ideas & maps (just like necessary evil did back in the day), but it would contain multiple different quest lines one for you Justice League level characters, one for you Titans level, one for your Street level characters & one for brand new characters created by accident due to the event.

It would an event in a single bookL: Essentially it'd let players all use the same summer event in there games. Do you have a city in your game that doesn't exist in the canon setting? No probs, the aliens aren't picky, they want someting from your city that they can't get from else where, lets just take a look at the timeline & see what they need, etc.

What do you all think?
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Monolith » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:04 am

I'd buy a Emerald City event book. I'd even buy a new epic adventure path series, assuming they could get it out on a monthly basis rather then yearly. At this stage of the game I'd be happy to buy anything that isn't a reprint of something I bought all year long as a pdf. I have nothing against the threat reports or power profiles. I bought 22 threat reports and then they sold the combined pdf for $10 at release. I've only bought 8 power profiles. I'm not going to make that mistake again.
Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby saint_matthew » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:55 am

Monolith wrote:I'd buy a Emerald City event book.

Of course you would, because its not been done before & is an awesome concept.

Monolith wrote:I'd even buy a new epic adventure path series, assuming they could get it out on a monthly basis rather then yearly.

I really love Green Ronin, but i honestly don't think they quite understand how to write adventures. Heres a clue: STOP INTRODUCING THROW AWAY VILLAINS! I love jobbers as much as the next guy, but Emerald City Knights is so full of jobbers who apparently show up with no plan greater then "lets break some shit," that you already have enough material for a new villain book of jobbers.

An unfortunately, what little i read of Emerald City Knights (before i realised that i hated the proposed once a month format, almost as much as the once every 4 months actuality), is the Hero-esque "origin event" plot motivator.

An it being tragically silver age didn't really do it any favours with me either. I mean seriously guys, a chess villain? That was pretty much it for me & Emerald City Knights, i could no longer take it seriously.

Monolith wrote:At this stage of the game I'd be happy to buy anything that isn't a reprint of something I bought all year long as a pdf.

Yeah thats the downside with this market model: By years end no one cares anymore, especially if its had a subpar showing at any time within that time period. GR would have been better of producing a product like Threat Reports all at once, then releasing the entire book at the same time as the PDF of the book, as well as individual PDF's. Generate some real buzz & a sustainable market.

Monolith wrote: I have nothing against the threat reports or power profiles.

I personally didn't like the threat reports & i recently picked them up in book format. Let it be said that i was quite disappointed in the quality of the villains: They were a little bit shallow, not to mention fuzzy around the edges (ill defined characterisation & motive).

But enough on what i did & didn't like in Threat Report, its all been covered in my Amazon review.

Monolith wrote:I bought 22 threat reports and then they sold the combined pdf for $10 at release. I've only bought 8 power profiles. I'm not going to make that mistake again.

I have higher hopes for the power profiles because they atleast have an obvious audience, but i'll be waiting until they are all released in book format before i purchase them.
“Anti-Intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
-Isaac Asimov
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Monolith » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:50 pm

saint_matthew wrote:
Monolith wrote:I'd even buy a new epic adventure path series, assuming they could get it out on a monthly basis rather then yearly.

I really love Green Ronin, but i honestly don't think they quite understand how to write adventures. Heres a clue: STOP INTRODUCING THROW AWAY VILLAINS! I love jobbers as much as the next guy, but Emerald City Knights is so full of jobbers who apparently show up with no plan greater then "lets break some shit," that you already have enough material for a new villain book of jobbers.

I think the problem with the throw away villains was that the adventure path was supposed to be released 1 part per month for 6 months. It ended up taking 2 years to get the whole thing out. If it had been released as intended there wouldn't have been many 3e villains in the game so the extra foes were a nice taste of extra campaign material and character examples. Unfortunately the combined threat report pdf came out before part six of the module so the throw aways were basically pointless as examples or needed foes.
Monolith
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Ghost Matter » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:07 pm

Monolith wrote:
saint_matthew wrote:

I think the problem with the throw away villains was that the adventure path was supposed to be released 1 part per month for 6 months. It ended up taking 2 years to get the whole thing out. If it had been released as intended there wouldn't have been many 3e villains in the game so the extra foes were a nice taste of extra campaign material and character examples. Unfortunately the combined threat report pdf came out before part six of the module so the throw aways were basically pointless as examples or needed foes.

Yeah, I've started mastering ECK and I really don't know what I'm gonna do with all those villains! For a city that barely had any people in tights, there sure are many now!

More on topic, I'd really like an event or adventure book. Looking at how many books were released during the 2nd edition and how many have been released in two years of the 3rd, I'm a little disappointed... Sure, I can still use the 2nd edition books but some have gotten hard to find or will require more work than I'd like to adapt. Anyway, 3rd edition seems so much easier that 2nd! I love it!

An "event" book would be really cool if it was done as a kind of crossover between series with a recommended adventure. An event kinda like Secret Invasion, Civil War or World War Hulk, something that involves the entire roster of super-powered people.
Ghost Matter
Groupie
Groupie

Postby saint_matthew » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:24 am

Ghost Matter wrote:Yeah, I've started mastering ECK and I really don't know what I'm gonna do with all those villains! For a city that barely had any people in tights, there sure are many now!

I had no problem with the amount of characters, especially since we can have transfers from outside the city. What got me was the amount of silver age characters, already established within the city.
-Isaac Asimov
saint_matthew
Overlord
Overlord

Postby AdvocateJack » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:48 pm

I've actually been working on a Super-powered product that's basically an event book with a bit of campaign setting/campaign toolkit thrown in. It's in development at the moment, but there should be more info about it later. Working on M&M and MHR stuff has definitely been an influence on my development of it.

Actually, the free preview of it recently went out from Vigilance Press, Elements of Ruin: the Challengers (it's just the ready to play hero section so it doesn't spill a ton about the event stuff but hey...free hero team!)
AdvocateJack
Compatriot
Compatriot

Return to DC Adventures