Post DCA Heroes and Villains Volume 2 errata here

We all make mistakes. Here's where you can tell us about ours.
JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Re: Post DCA Heroes and Villains Volume 2 errata here

Postby JDRook » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:03 pm

*Tar Pit

This error is a little involved, so I thought I'd separate it so it could be either explored in detail or easily skipped over.

Tar Pit has several powers that are Permanent, including two attack (Burning Touch and Noxious Fumes), both of which are bought to Reaction. Permanent doesn't affect action but duration, essentially buying up an effect to Continuous before applying the -1 Flaw. This means that both powers had their costs increased by an aggregate +2p/rank to get the Permanent Flaw.

Of course, this extra cost for a Flaw doesn't make sense, unless the intention was for the attack effects to also be Continous and Permanent. This almost works conceptually for Burning Touch (the tar would stick to the one who touched it and burn them continuously until they got rid of it somehow) but less so for Noxious Fumes.

Conceptually, the Reaction extra takes care of what we would think of as a continuous effect, so the Permanent Flaw should just apply -1p/rank, taking away the ability to turn off the attacks without changing their duration. Calculated this way, Burning Touch is 9p, Noxious Fumes is 20p, the Powers total is 78 and the grand total is 157.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

psilich
Cohort
Cohort

Postby psilich » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:23 pm

On Mordru's pages (69-70) His powers and abilities section mentions that he has a variable effect, but the actual write up doesn't have a variable effect, just a dynamic array. His powers and ability section also implies that he would have immunity: aging, but he doesn't.

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:01 am

Saint Walker is definitely an NPC type character, but as written he breaks caps with his Nullify. Its rank 20 and he has +10 to hit with his Power Ring, so that would make him PL 15. Like Create is limited to PL, and he has 18 ranks, which would make him PL 18.

Also, this

Goldar wrote:P. 114: Power Girl: Shouldn't her fortitude be 13, instead of the listed 16?

is not errata. Power Girl just has Fortitude 16, bought up from her base of 13 due to her Stamina. Its balanced with her Will of 10.

However, there is a problem with the pricing. Unless I'm missing something, Power Girl's Defenses cost 21, not 20. She has Fort of 16, that cost her 3, Will of 10, that cost her 8, Dodge and Parry of 9, that costs 7 and 3, respectively.

3+8+7+3=21

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:21 am

Arthur Eld wrote:Saint Walker is definitely an NPC type character, but as written he breaks caps with his Nullify. Its rank 20 and he has +10 to hit with his Power Ring, so that would make him PL 15. Like Create is limited to PL, and he has 18 ranks, which would make him PL 18.

You're forgetting the special exception for Blue Lanterns requiring "aid of a Green Lantern and sufficient hope to draw upon." Besides being limited to his own Will rank of 14 even when there's a stronger Willed GL around, SW would also need the hope of at least 32,000 sentients in order to break PL14 with his Create. It doesn't get much more situational or GM-controllable than that.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My Rules Musings in 3e

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:28 am

Ah, I guess that makes sense. His Create then would be the only thing making him a PL 14.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:38 pm

It is a little confusing. Personally I think they should have made a note about it in SW's power section like they did for The Atom (Ray Palmer)'s "action size," since technically he only hits PL11 at full shrink.

My Rules Musings in 3e

Goldar
Disciple
Disciple

Postby Goldar » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:07 pm

Arthur Eld wrote: Also, this

Goldar wrote:P. 114: Power Girl: Shouldn't her fortitude be 13, instead of the listed 16?

is not errata. Power Girl just has Fortitude 16, bought up from her base of 13 due to her Stamina. Its balanced with her Will of 10.

However, there is a problem with the pricing. Unless I'm missing something, Power Girl's Defenses cost 21, not 20. She has Fort of 16, that cost her 3, Will of 10, that cost her 8, Dodge and Parry of 9, that costs 7 and 3, respectively.

3+8+7+3=21

Thanks for answering my question, Arthur Eld. I thought that might be the case, but I wasn't sure about the calculation, which is why I question-marked it.

Interestingly, PG (a PL 13 character) having a 16 fortitude is 1 higher than both Superman and Captain Marvel (both PL 15 characters), and is tied with Black Adam ( who is a PL 16 character).

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:00 pm

Just noticed this:

In both books there are exactly 9 characters that have the advantage Danger Sense:

Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes)
Deathstroke the Terminator
Dream Girl
Dove
The Key
Lady Shiva
Ravager
Nightmaster (of Shadowpact)
Timber Wolf

Of these, only Dove gives the sense type that DS is tied to (Mental). The rest give no indication, and most of those have several sense powers of at least two types, so it's rarely obvious what sense it should be. (Dream Girl is probably Mental; Nightmaster might be the same; DtT, Ravager and TW could be Sight, Hearing or Scent; BB could even be Radio; Lady Shiva or the Key, who knows???)

My Rules Musings in 3e

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:45 pm

The S's are huge, what with all the Supers, the Stars, and the teams of Six and Seven. This will be the first half.

p154 Saint Walker* - Revitalize is the ony Ring power that is not Dynamic. Even if this is correct, the Ring total is 140p -28p Removable for 112.
p156 Sandman (Sanderson Hawkins) - Geokinesis Array has a 30p pool and Legacy Equipment has -18 due to Easily Removable. Sleep-Gas Gun is 44p. Both Earthquake and Earth Control can easily be increased in effect (EQ to Area 2 and EC to MO 10) without changing cost or PL.
p162 Dwarfstar - missing Defensive Roll 3
p163 King Shark - Powers total is 31
p165 Black Alice - Powers total is 134, Skills total is 5.
p169 Shining Knight (Ystina) - Powers total is 4.
Vanguard - Favored Environment (Aeriel) is spelled wrong
Bulleteer - Self-inflicted Slam damage Immunity is costed out for 5p, but the DCAHH p179 very specifically indicates this is a 2p immunity
p170 Klarion - Array should be 36p to accommodate both Steal Magic and Tentacles.
Teekl - Array should be 30p to accomodate Catlike Form.
p172 Shade - Shadowland Connection is only 63p. Shadow Mantle is probably meant to be 15,000 cubic feet, not 2 cubic miles.
p173-174 HQ: Oblivion Bar - there are two different descriptions of the bar, one for the Shadowpact group and one connected to Nightmaster. Not sure if the conflicting Features are intentional.
p174 Nightmaster - Defense total is 25
Warlock's Daughter - the Body is defenseless Modifier is undefined. Assuming Side Effect -2 as per the Mental Powers Profile, the cost fits perfectly for the Array, although the Powers total matches for a -1 Flaw. EDIT - Actually just noticed that W's D is actually very similar to the Mystic Archetype in the Handbook, right down to that same flaw.
p175 Shadow Thief - Enhanced Advantages should be 5. Advantages total should be 17.
p177 Shining Knight (Sir Justin) - Equipment is not defined, and the Advantage total is 19 without equipment.
Winged Victory - has no special senses, even those of a normal horse. Also, as a Sidekick, current cost would be 11p.
p178 Shrapnel - Fragmentation Blast is 41p, Advavntages total is 7 and Ranged Combat: Fragmentation Blast should be 6(+11).
p179 Silver Banshee - Banshee Cry/Shriek/Wail only cost 54p, making the whole array worth 56. Also, Weakens don't have a defined resistance, and since it's dependent on knowing the target's identity, it could go either way conceptually (Fort or Will).
p184 Sinestro Corpsman - CC: Unarmed is 3(+6) and Abilities total is 22
p185 Siren - Athletics is 3(+11)

* The apparent issue of Nullify 20 with a +10 Attack being PL15 becomes moot due to the limits of the Blue Rings making it impossible for Saint Walker to use any powers over rank 14 without at least 32,000 people hoping with him AND having a GL around. Because of this, Walker's usual working rank is PL12 (or less with a really lame GL).

My Rules Musings in 3e

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:12 am

The last half of the S's

p188 Johnny Sorrow - In Powers, Sorrow's Face only adds up right if Sense-dependent (Sight) and Limited—Only against living beings who can perceive Sorrow’s face count together as one full Flaw (which could makes sense considering the overlap), OR if it's not Cone Area but Perception Area as it's written in the Offense section. Also, he has DEX 6 and Ranged Attack 5 but no ranged attack that requires an attack bonus.
p190 The Spectre - Divine Perception needs Guilt to be ranged and Sight, Awarenesses and Guilt to be Acute to match total, and Tracking needs a sense. World Walking Teleport attack has no defined resistance. Spectre Power is 99.
p191 Speedy - Powers heading should be Equipment. Ability and Defense totals only match if STA is 1.
p192 Star Sapphire - Conversion Crystals as written cost 41p, too big for the array. This would also affect Fatality and Miri.
p197 Stargirl - Enhanced Abilities only costs 30p. Athletics is probably 4(+12) to match totals.
S.T.R.I.P.E. - Snare is 30p, too big for Weapon Systems array (20p)
p198-9 Starman (Ted & Jack Knight) - Cosmic Rod and Gravity Rod are inconsistently used for Ted and Jack. Ted should have the Gravity Rod and Jack the Cosmic Rod.
p202 Starman (Thom Kallor) - Under Powers Weight of Stars and Increase Gravity should be rank 12 to match Offense listing and point totals. Also, Weight of Stars can't use Accurate 4.
p203 Starro the Conqueror - Domination is 105p
p204 Starro the Conqueror - Advantage total is 16. Offense totals suggest Close Attack 3 but even without that the Axe effect pushes PL to 16. Defense total is 20.
p209 Belle Reve - Security Systems at DC40 (the maximum) costs 5 ranks.
p210 Amanda Waller - Equipment 6 may be a typo depending on how much the Squad Detonator costs, but the Advantage total matches Equip 2. Also, Defense total is 31 and Waller's Fort/Will pushes her to PL10.
p211 Sun Boy - Nova Burst should be rank 10 or it pushes up his PL. Solar Flash should probably be rank 8 or Ranged to fill out the array.
p213 Superboy - Shield Others should have Affects Others Only.
p222 Abby Holland - Empathy should be Acute to be able to identify different emotions.

My Rules Musings in 3e

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:09 pm

The Terrible, Terrible T's

p223 Typical Morrow Android - Drain Futurenenergy should probably be an Affliction since Transform attacks are intended for use on objects, not PCs, most of whom are sentients.

p224 Tattoed Man - not sure how 4 PL6 Minions make him PL11 from his apparent PL9.

p227 HQs - The Communication Link on the Liberty Island base and the Argus is technically Subtle by default like every other Sense effect, although I can see how it might be used to describe a secured line.

p228 S.T.A.R. Kilotrax - Growth on an immoblie Construct seems kind of a waste of points since the only effect that translates is Protection (and maybe Intimdation). Also, if you change Growth 8 to Protection 8 the totals actually match.
Titans Tower II (New York) costs 23p.
Vehicles - T-Barge is 12, T-Wing is 77.

p229 Aquagirl - Dodge and Toughness push her to PL9

p230 Bombshell - Detect Energy Spectra should be Ranged

p231 Kid Eternity - with no defined cost for Conjure Soul (PLX), Powers total should be 12.

p232 Zachary Zatara - Either Advantages total should be 8 or Bunny should be Minion 1 instead of Sidekick 2.

p233 Terra - Sinkhole as written costs twice the normal array slot. I suspect Continuous is meant to be Concentration.

p235 Terra-Man - The Penetrating on Standard Bullets may as well be removed because they would have no practical effect using the standard DCA Impervious and Penetrating rules.

p236 Thorn - Barbed Whip should be listed as Equipment to match Powers and Advantages totals. Skills total is 31.

p237 Timber Wolf - Super-Strength is 4p. Powers total is 33.

p239 Toyman - Bubblegum Gun should have Accurate 2. Defenses total is 17.
Toyman Robot - Abilities total is 18 and Defenses is 8. Also, having no Intellect or Presence makes Deception unusable for the robot, and Morph covers the disguise aspect.

p241 Traci Thirteen - Close Combat: Homi Magi is presumably CC: Deimos' Claw.

p242 Trickster - Advantages total is 19.

p243 Trident - The Trident is written as Removable but point discount and total suggests that it's Easily Removable.

p246 Donna Troy - Powers total is 56.

p247 Two-Face - Advantages total should be 15, and either AGL should be 3 or AGL skills need to be fixed.

My Rules Musings in 3e

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:21 am

Quick shot through the U's

p249 Ultra-Boy - Ultra-Speed is too big for the Array, although the Powers total is correct for a 38p array. Also he should have Benefit: Legion Membership and possibly a homeworld Expertise to match the other Legionnaires.

p251 Uncle Sam - One with the Nation costs 72p.
Last edited by JDRook on Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Rules Musings in 3e

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:24 am

And the V's

p253 Vandal Savage - All his Int skills are based on Int 5. Also, either the Advantages total is wrong or Benefit 6 (wealth and resources) should cap at 5 to match.

p256 Vigilante - on Starlight Goggles, Night vision should be Low-light Vision. Flash-bang costs 16epp and pushes up cost of Arsenal, so extra equipment should only be 4ep to round out the total. Advantage total is 18. Toughness should be 8/3.

p257 Vixen - Languages is undefined. Skills total s 21, Defenses total is 19 although Parry seems really low.

My Rules Musings in 3e

Arthur Eld
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Arthur Eld » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:13 am

JDRook wrote:p250 The Ultra-Humanite - Telepathy is far too big for the Mental Powers Array; it's also a completely different treatment of Telepathy from any other character thus far.

His Telepathy checks out to me. Communication 4, Concentration, costs 12 points. Remote Sensing (Visual and auditory), Concentration, costs 36 points. 12+36=48. Exactly within the limits of the array, since his Telekinesis costs 48 points as well.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:13 am

Arthur Eld wrote:
JDRook wrote:p250 The Ultra-Humanite - Telepathy is far too big for the Mental Powers Array; it's also a completely different treatment of Telepathy from any other character thus far.

His Telepathy checks out to me. Communication 4, Concentration, costs 12 points. Remote Sensing (Visual and auditory), Concentration, costs 36 points. 12+36=48. Exactly within the limits of the array, since his Telekinesis costs 48 points as well.

Good catch. I miscounted ranks with the 2 for Visual and 1 for Audial. I'll fix that.

My Rules Musings in 3e

Return to “Errata”