Post DCA Heroes and Villains Volume 2 errata here

We all make mistakes. Here's where you can tell us about ours.
Corellon
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Post DCA Heroes and Villains Volume 2 errata here

Postby Corellon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:00 pm

p72 Multiplex - Summon Duploids 7 would restrict his Duploids to PL7 instead of the PL10 they're statted at. Either their points need to be redistributed to fall within those lower caps or he needs to have Summon Duploids at rank 10 which would raise the power's cost to 121 points and his total to 226.

Psistrike
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Psistrike » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:30 pm

Corellon wrote:p72 Multiplex - Summon Duploids 7 would restrict his Duploids to PL7 instead of the PL10 they're statted at. Either their points need to be redistributed to fall within those lower caps or he needs to have Summon Duploids at rank 10 which would raise the power's cost to 121 points and his total to 226.

Incorrect. They are worth 105 PP, which is what matters for the Duploids. They can be any PL up to the PL of their summoner, which is what they are. The rank of the Summon power doesn't limit what PL they are, just their PP value.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:26 pm

Psistrike wrote:
Corellon wrote:p72 Multiplex - Summon Duploids 7 would restrict his Duploids to PL7 instead of the PL10 they're statted at. Either their points need to be redistributed to fall within those lower caps or he needs to have Summon Duploids at rank 10 which would raise the power's cost to 121 points and his total to 226.

Incorrect. They are worth 105 PP, which is what matters for the Duploids. They can be any PL up to the PL of their summoner, which is what they are. The rank of the Summon power doesn't limit what PL they are, just their PP value.

That's not what it says in the Summon effect description on p118 of the DCAHH, and duplicates-at-lower-PL is supported by the Duplication sample power on p94. Is there errata for this ruling somewhere?
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Psistrike
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Psistrike » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:45 am

JDRook wrote:
Psistrike wrote:

That's not what it says in the Summon effect description on p118 of the DCAHH, and duplicates-at-lower-PL is supported by the Duplication sample power on p94. Is there errata for this ruling somewhere?

Darn, you're right. I forgot that one detail about the Summon power, minions being limited to the PL of the rank of the power. My bad. :|

Doresh
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Doresh » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:11 am

Unless the person who made the writeup read "Power Profiles: Summoning Powers" before, since that one mentions that you might allow players to ignore this "PL = summon rank" restriction.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:34 pm

Doresh wrote:Unless the person who made the writeup read "Power Profiles: Summoning Powers" before, since that one mentions that you might allow players to ignore this "PL = summon rank" restriction.

I suspect that would be unlikely, although not impossible, since the DCA entry would have been written months ago, probably before the new year, in order to be edited and approved by DC, and the the Summoning PP didn't come out until February.

The point is, though, that bending the PL = Summon rank can be acceptable if the GM chooses. In this particular instance, you have Mulitplex, who is a PL10 character, able to summon 16 Active minions, all identical to him minus the Dupe/Summon. This might be okay for a NPC opponent, but I wouldn't want a player to have a character like that unless he was playing a solo game.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My Rules Musings in 3e

scc
Zealot
Zealot

Postby scc » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:04 pm

Psistrike wrote:
JDRook wrote:That's not what it says in the Summon effect description on p118 of the DCAHH, and duplicates-at-lower-PL is supported by the Duplication sample power on p94. Is there errata for this ruling somewhere?

Darn, you're right. I forgot that one detail about the Summon power, minions being limited to the PL of the rank of the power. My bad. :|

I never knew this either though I am still missing it for some reason. Is it the line that says minions are subject to the normal PL limits? I just thought that meant it's creator's PL.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:37 pm

scc wrote:
Psistrike wrote:
JDRook wrote:That's not what it says in the Summon effect description on p118 of the DCAHH, and duplicates-at-lower-PL is supported by the Duplication sample power on p94. Is there errata for this ruling somewhere?

I never knew this either though I am still missing it for some reason. Is it the line that says minions are subject to the normal PL limits? I just thought that meant it's creator's PL.

You may be confusing it with the Minion Advantage. The Summon effect is much more specific:

DCAHH, p118 wrote:A summoned minion is limited to a Power Level equal to the rank of the Summon effect used to create it, is subject to the normal power level limits, and cannot have minions of its own, either from this effect or the Minions advantage.

Normal minions bought with the Minion Advantage (or Sidekick for that matter) are only "subject to the normal power level limits" which I would also interpret as the PL of the PC or the overall setting. I assume that's the balance of having your goons follow you around as opposed to being able to pull them out of your pocket whenever you want.

My Rules Musings in 3e

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:39 pm

A nice short one, only the swarm minion was an issue, and it's pretty minor.

Q

p120 Drone Bee Swarms - The Powers total is off by exactly the amount saved by the Wings Flaw, so either the total is off or Wings should be removed. Personally, I'd figure the latter, since I can't think of a common effect that would restrict the wings on a swarm of bees and justify a full Flaw. Also, Minion Advantage is insufficient to cover the cost of 2 swarms as written.

My Rules Musings in 3e

Goldar
Disciple
Disciple

Postby Goldar » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:10 am

P. 114: Power Girl: Shouldn't her fortitude be 13, instead of the listed 16?

scc
Zealot
Zealot

Postby scc » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:00 pm

You can call upon another creature—a minion—to aid you. This creature is created as an independent character
with (effect rank x 15) power points. Summoned minions are subject to the normal power level limits, and cannot
have minions themselves, either from this effect or the Minions advantage.

This is what it says in the first paragraph of summon on page 118. Was there an update to this? Sorry to bring this up again I am just trying to figure out where it says what you summon is limited to the power rank of summoned effect. Thanks.

Flying Cobra
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Flying Cobra » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:09 pm

scc wrote:You can call upon another creature—a minion—to aid you. This creature is created as an independent character
with (effect rank x 15) power points. Summoned minions are subject to the normal power level limits, and cannot
have minions themselves, either from this effect or the Minions advantage.

This is what it says in the first paragraph of summon on page 118. Was there an update to this? Sorry to bring this up again I am just trying to figure out where it says what you summon is limited to the power rank of summoned effect. Thanks.

It is changed in v1.1 of the PDF and listed in the errata to include the PL=Summon Rank line.

scc
Zealot
Zealot

Postby scc » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:49 pm

Thanks Flying Cobra. I bought the PDF should I have gotten an update or something?

Flying Cobra
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Flying Cobra » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:18 am

scc wrote:Thanks Flying Cobra. I bought the PDF should I have gotten an update or something?

Yes. Depending on where you got it, you should be able to check your account and see if there has been an update.

If through Green Ronin, just use the link provided through your Account status tab (where it shows all your purchases).

If you got it through RPGNow or DriveThruRPG, go to My Account, then click "All products updated since my last download." It should show up there.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:27 pm

The R's, including Red Lanterns, Rogues and the Royal Flush Gang

p125 Ragman - Absorb Evildoer only costs 8p
p128 Ravager - Powers total is 85 (likely missed Energy Shield AE)
p130 Raven - Mind Reading is Perception range by default, so MR 15 pushes her PL to 15. Dimensional Shift doesn't need extra DC unless it is also an Attack, and if it is then Mass Soul Jump and other Soul Self AEs should be as well for conceptual consistency.
p132 The Ray - Energy Absorption is written as Close Range and has the Reduced Range Flaw. This seems redundant or at least confusing. Defense total is 31.
p133 Red Devil - Total is 176
p134 Red Hood - Athletics should be 8(+11)
p136 Dex-Starr - Lifting should be Move Object, not Create.
p138 Red Star - has Redirect but no Deception? Not necessarily wrong, but it is weird.
p144 Robin - the Grapnel Gun refers to "Super-Movement" instead of just Movement, which I believe is a 2e term.
p146 Girder - Advantages total is 4, not 7.
Plunder - Stealth should be 6(+8)
p147 Tar Pit - see next post*
The Top - Gas Top and Soundwave Top cost 40p, too big for the array. Tornado Top specifically lists Sustained Duration but Move Object is already sustained and power is under-pointed. Int and Int-skills should be asterisked to highlight variable Intellect due to Spinning.
p148 Roulette - The House is 25 ep plus whatever Alternate Headquarters 10 means (presumably the mobile operation). Powers total is 20.
p150 Professor Amos Fortune - Skills total is off and Perception doesn't count AWE bonus right.
Ace III - Stamina should be 10 total, the same as Strength or the math doesn't work.
The Ace Android II - Skills total is 2p

My Rules Musings in 3e

Return to “Errata”