Post DCA Heros and Villains Volume 1 Errata Here

We all make mistakes. Here's where you can tell us about ours.
luketheduke86
Hero
Hero

Re: Post DCA Heros and Villains Volume 1 Errata Here

Postby luketheduke86 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:22 pm

Foreshadow wrote:Deathstroke lists as Unarmed +18, +8 damage. He has strength 7. Does he use brass knuckles? or something like that. Wouldn't it be better just to have him with a +19 unarmed, +7 damage? Yet, his skill is close combat 2 (+17), with 15 fgt. So wouldn't he have +17 unarmed, 7 damage unless I'm missing something.

I think his Strength is supposed to be +7, that's how his abilities add up and what it shows with his melee damage with weapons. His unarmed is +18 because he has one rank of Close Combat which they don't show under a character's skill list.
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.

Talison
Partisan
Partisan

Postby Talison » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:24 am

I would think Blue Devil's Expertise: Acting should be based on his Presence and therefor be one higher. That's how I've been handling acting.

Talison
Partisan
Partisan

Postby Talison » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:58 am

By any justification Cheshire probably should have the Attractive advantage. Besides her base looks, the advantage seems to represent the ability to use ones looks for their own gain, which I think she definitely does.

scc
Zealot
Zealot

Postby scc » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:00 pm

Pg 171 Doctor Midnite: His total treatment skill is +18 but with his Medical Gauntlets which give him a +8 with treatment would give him a total bonus of +26. Looking at total skill points this was not added. So either his treatment skill is too high or this bonus is too high.

allanthemandahl
Bystander
Bystander

Postby allanthemandahl » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:37 am

also more critique than errata, but do they really justify that Cyborg and Slade have the same strength... my hazy memory seems to indicate that when they first met, Cyborg was hands down much stronger than slade.... Slade could hand him his metallic shiny behind, sure, but Cyborg was much stronger than Slade... Did Slade pick up further enhancements to his strength later on, I lost track of DC for a long while??

Jaldidog
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Jaldidog » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:38 am

As per my post in this thread

Catwoman's attack modifier for her claws should be 10, not 13. Her +3 skill bonus only applies to unarmed combat, not attacking with her claws.

RobertReaper
Henchman
Henchman

Postby RobertReaper » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:34 am

I read up on Ambush Bug and I was wondering if there was anything in his Stats that represents his ability to, upon seeing a Super Hero that he has met and then seeing them in the civilian attire, instantly see through the civilian attire and recognize them as their Super Hero Identity.

I don't know how many heroes he has done this to but I know that he instantly recognized both Superman and Supergirl when they were out of costume, even going as far as to pull Superman's cape out from under Clark Kent's shirt just to prove that he knew he was really Superman.

The only thing I could find that may cover this was his 'Expertise: DC Comics 17 (+18)' because even with a +13 Perception that isn't going to instantly recognize Heroes out of Costume.

My friends think that it should be a 'Feature' that instantly lets him figure out that its a Hero/Villain almost immediately.
"They're finny and funny and oh so delish, they're joyful and jolly JOKER FISH!"

Foreshadow
Hero
Hero

Postby Foreshadow » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:06 pm

Deathstroke lists as 2 ranks of Improved Initiative and has 9 Agl and lists as +13 Initiative. It should be +17 unless the 2 ranks is a misprint, but both the skill lists 2 ranks and the power section thus it should be +17

gamemaster72
Disciple
Disciple

Postby gamemaster72 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:28 pm

Was just reading through some profiles and noticed 1 mistake that hasn't beeen pointed out yet:

Geoforce: Earthquake area effect 12, on a PL 11 character.

Oh well... at least I found it in time for the 2nd prining lol.

scc
Zealot
Zealot

Postby scc » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:40 pm

Pg 146 Damage: His attack of 8 and damage of 12 would make him a PL 10 character instead of PL 9.

Shadowchaser
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby Shadowchaser » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:21 am

Talison wrote:I would think Blue Devil's Expertise: Acting should be based on his Presence and therefor be one higher. That's how I've been handling acting.

Expertise always defaults to Intellect, but you can add the ranks to a different ability if the situation calls for it. See the description of Expertise in the rulebook for the official wording on it.

How you use it in your games is a house rule, not the official rule for how Expertise is noted on a character sheet. :)
James Dawsey, Owner and Publisher of Vigilance Press

Look for Vigilance Press on RPGNow.com and Drive-Thru RPG!

Or check out our website for free previews and podcast links!
http://www.vigilancepress.com/

Saltcrow
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Saltcrow » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:54 am

Shadowchaser wrote:
Talison wrote:I would think Blue Devil's Expertise: Acting should be based on his Presence and therefor be one higher. That's how I've been handling acting.

Expertise always defaults to Intellect, but you can add the ranks to a different ability if the situation calls for it. See the description of Expertise in the rulebook for the official wording on it.

How you use it in your games is a house rule, not the official rule for how Expertise is noted on a character sheet. :)

Note that Expertise: Riding is an Expertise skill based on Agility, as per Vehicles section on DCAHH pg 67. That makes Dexterity the new Presence in medieval games, heh.

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:41 pm

I've managed to put all of the H&V Vol 1 characters into HeroLab Portfolios, which gives a good overview of the math involved in each writeup. I'm posting up inconsistencies here, as they appear in the book, sectioned by letter or about 30 pages, whichever comes first. Some of these may have already been mentioned by others. My intention is to just get it all in a relatively compact collection. I'm also aware that HeroLab is not infallible with regard to DCA rules, but it generally does a great job with the numbers, which is my focus. I tried not to get too editorial about it, and only failed a few times. :P

p10 - Abra Kadabra - For Mind over Matter, Perception Area would require that the target objects be able to perceive AK with a defined sense, which is nonsensical; Burst or Cone may be more appropriate.

p12 - Adam Strange - Total power points should be 152, but I understand the desire to set him up as a starting PL10 character.

p15 - The All-Star Special vehicle should be 20p (2 for Str 8, 2 for Def 8, 16 for Speed (flight) 8).

p16 - Amazo - I'm not fixing this one here. That way lies madness.

p18 - Ambush Bug - His Perception 11 (+13) doesn't match his AWE of 3. Also the Defenses total should be 18 for a grand total of 166. I suspect there may have been a change of his AWE score and possibly confusion with his negative FGT score.

p19 - Animal Man - Looking at his traits, Animal Man is only PL7, but written as PL 11, so presumably his Animal Mimicry can make up the difference, although a similar villainous shapechanger, Gemini, is not presented the same way. See p92 notes. (edit: added 8/11/2011)

p20 - Aquaman - Defense total should be 18 for a grand total of 217

p22 - Mera - Powers total should be 45 (Aquatic 6 [Immunity 3, Movement 2, Senses 1], Hard Water Powers Array 31, Swimming 8) for a grand total of 161

p23 - Tempest should have the Ritualist Advantage mentioned in his description. He also likely speaks Atlantean natively, but unless he doesn't speak English he will need to purchase at least one language. These raise his Advantages total to 7.

- Aqualad's Defense total should be 21

- Powers for Tempest and Aqualad are also 1p short like Mera; I suspect the Arrays are being miscalculated for all three. Tempest's Powers total is 40 for a grand total of 163, and Aqualad's Powers total is 44 for a grand total of 133.

p24 - Ares - Body of a God power should be 70, not 62. Suspect Immortality 16 was calculated at 1/r and then flawed. Powers total should be 166.

- The Aeropagus costs 21 equipment, not 19, making the Equipment advantage cost 5. Likely missed the 2 extra ranks in Security systems. Advantages total should be 40. Also, Ares has +16 Ranged but only DEX 5 and no other Advantages or skills to increase this. Likely should have Ranged Attack 11. These both bring the Advantages total to 52.

- Grand Total should be 438.

p26 - Arsenal - In the Offense table, Throwing knives should technically be Damage 4 to include the Throwing Mastery 2 bonus to effect, as well as the extra ranks of Multiattack purchased for the knives.

p30 - The Atom (Ray Palmer)* - Defenses are 15, not 25, likely a typo. This makes the grand total 186.

p31 - The Atom (Ryan Choi)* - Defenses are 11 not 10. This makes the grand total 157.

p34 - Atrocitus - Power Ring cost is 119 -24 for Removable = 95, although it looks like the ring may not technically be removable. Also I assume the Lifting power is meant to be Move Object and not Create.

- Power total is 98 (or 122), Skill total is 17, and the grand total is 218 (or 242)

p35 - Aztek** - Defense total should be 19 for a grand total of 166.

*Both Ray and Ryan are each one rank below their stated PL at "Action Size" (respectively, Ray is PL10 and Ryan PL9). At full Shrinking, Ray's Defenses just reach PL10.5 , while Ryan is still PL9. This ignores their Stealth +23 at this size, which technically makes them PL13. Also The Atomic flat extra effectively makes them immune to damage, so defensive PL hardly seems a factor.

**Alphabetically, Aztek should come after Azrael. - edited as per Shadowchaser spotting my brain-addled typo
Last edited by JDRook on Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

JDRook
Superhero
Superhero

Postby JDRook » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:46 pm

Continuing on through a chunk of the B's:

p38 - Bane - Abilities total as written should be 116, not 104. Then again, if DEX 7 was a typo and changed to DEX 1, it would affect nothing else in the build and match the total 104.

- The Venom Power should be 10 total (15 for powers, -2 ACtivation, -3 Removable), although there are issues
about inconsistent rounding for Removable.

- Defense total is 21, not 26. Likely confused by the Venom effect.

- Grand Total is 191, or 179 with the DEX drop.

p41 - Batgirl (Stephanie Brown) is actually PL9 (barely), thanks to her Grab:

FGT 8 + Close Attack 5 + Grabbing Finesse w/DEX 4 = 17/2 = PL 8.5

- Also, her Wireless Relay to Oracle can be described as a Senses (Communication Link) for 1p instead of Comm 3 Limited to Oracle for 6p (which is a ridiculous way to set up a single-target Comm Link when that Senses effect exists), dropping her total Equipment points to 30, her Equipment Advantage cost to 6, and her Total to 135, making her a playable starting PL9.

- Conversely, Batgirl (Cassandra Cain) actually has a Skill total of 32, not 31, making her Total points 151, "breaking" her playable starting PL10.

p43 - Batgirl (Barbara Gordon) - her Toughness save is actually 5/3, pushing her to PL10. Dropping one rank of Defensive Roll as suggested would get her back to PL9.

p44 - Batman - The Batplane as described is 66ep which makes for a total equipment cost of 110ep, an Equipment Advantage at 22 ranks, and the Advantage total of 75. Also, Defense total should be 18 for a grand total of 285.

- Batcave is only 19ep, not 20. (added 8/12/2011)

p46 - Alfred - Totals are fine, but many of his skills are taking bonuses from the wrong abilities. (added 8/24/2011) Also ,the Shotgun mentioned in his Offense section would be 10ep or 2p of Equipment for an Advantage total of 6 and a grand total of 64.

p48 - Batwoman - Base Motorcycle with a Nav System costs 11ep, not 10. This bumps up Equip to 11p, Adv total to 47 and grand total to 208.

p51 - Big Barda - Defense total should be 7 for a grand total of 220. Not sure why defenses are so often short by one point.

p52 - Lady Blackhawk - The Aerie One Jet is identical to the Fighter Jet in the DCAHH except that as written the A1 has a Def of 8, not 6. The written cost of 66 ep is for a basic fighter. The error is either the Def or the A1 total cost. Also, the rockets on both aircraft have partial ranks of Area, allowing the full rank to be targeted and therefore gain an attack bonus. With Lady B's Heavy Weapons +12, this makes the A1 Rockets a PL11.5 attack and the A2 Rockets PL10.5. (Incidentally, this same idea means Batman is PL12.5 in his Batplane.)

p53 - Misfit - Powers total should be 99 (Teleport 83, Healing 6, Concealment 10). I suspect Healing was calculated as a 1/r base and then Flawed. Grand Total is 206.

p54 - Bizarro - Acute Hearing is included with all Kryptonian-powered characters, including Amazo, but Hearing is Acute by default. Not sure if the intent was to make it Analytical or Accurate or something, but unless Bizarro has "Obtuse Hearing" it should not need to be a purchased power as written.

p57 - Black Canary (Dinah Drake Lance) - numbers are okay, but the Totals in the Power Points section are in a
weird order.

p60 - Black Hand - Power total is 51, not 52, although this may be a rounding issue for Removable powers.

p64 - Black Manta - Diving Suit should cost 22 -4 for removable for a total of 18, not 13. I suspect Enhanced Strength was calculated at 1/r instead of 2/r. Also, the weapons array is 23 -5 for removable. (Good ol' rounding.) And the Manta-Sub is 37ep, so the Advantage total should be 14. Grand total is 151.

p65 - Blackfire - Honestly not quite sure how Language Absorption is statted out to cost 2 points.

p67 - Blackhawk Squadron - the Grumman XF5F-1 “Skyrocket" costs 2p for Huge, 2p for Str 10, 2p for Def 8 and 66p for Flight(14), Weapons (48+1ae) and Radar (3), for a grand total of 72ep. Combined with the Heavy Pistol assigned to all the Blackhawks, that comes to 80ep even or 16 Equipment. However, all of the BH's were also given choice of 2ep of equipment, presumably to make up the extra 2ep leftover when the Skyrocket was thought to be only 70. Since there is no gap, the 2ep extra should either be a) removed or b) bumped up to 5ep for everybody. The former gives everyone Equipment 16 (including Olaf and Wing Chan, who seemed to have a typo of Equip 18), and the latter gives everyone Equip 17. All else is fine, so totals would update accordingly.
Last edited by JDRook on Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sorry, I can't hear your argument for realism over the sound of my eye beams. :P

My original characters thread (2e)
My League of Legends conversion thread (3e)
My Rules Musings in 3e

Shadowchaser
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Postby Shadowchaser » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:16 pm

I think you mean Azrael should come before Aztek. Or Aztek should come after Azrael. :)
James Dawsey, Owner and Publisher of Vigilance Press

Look for Vigilance Press on RPGNow.com and Drive-Thru RPG!

Or check out our website for free previews and podcast links!
http://www.vigilancepress.com/

Return to “Errata”