Post DCA Heros and Villains Volume 1 Errata Here

We all make mistakes. Here's where you can tell us about ours.
Saltcrow
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Post DCA Heros and Villains Volume 1 Errata Here

Postby Saltcrow » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:11 pm

Doctor Polaris' Magnetize is way over the PL limit. It is a 14-rank burst area effect on a PL 12 character!

Rodzilla
Partisan
Partisan

Postby Rodzilla » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:56 am

Saltcrow wrote:Doctor Polaris' Magnetize is way over the PL limit. It is a 14-rank burst area effect on a PL 12 character!

Hey Salty, I don't believe that's an error. If you look at his Offense score with Magentize you'll see it ranked as +10. I believe that the power level limits on rank and effect are 2xPL. In the case of Doctor Polaris his PL is 12 which places the Power Level Limit value at 24. Magnetize of 14 coupled with Offense Rank (Magnetize) of 10 = 24. Should be right on the money.

UnkindMirror
Overlord
Overlord

Postby UnkindMirror » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:00 am

Rodzilla wrote:
Saltcrow wrote:Doctor Polaris' Magnetize is way over the PL limit. It is a 14-rank burst area effect on a PL 12 character!

Hey Salty, I don't believe that's an error. If you look at his Offense score with Magentize you'll see it ranked as +10. I believe that the power level limits on rank and effect are 2xPL. In the case of Doctor Polaris his PL is 12 which places the Power Level Limit value at 24. Magnetize of 14 coupled with Offense Rank (Magnetize) of 10 = 24. Should be right on the money.

Area effects can't take advantage of trade-offs because they don't have attack rolls.
Unless H&V has introduced Targeted Areas into 3e, Area effects are hard-capped at PL.

Taliesin
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Taliesin » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:01 am

Rodzilla wrote:

No, Saltcrow is right. Area effects can't trade.

The offense block assumes that both Magnetize and Metal Manipulation are Ranged, targeted effects--not area effects--which I assume is a mistake or that the Magnetize power was altered without changing the offense block.

P.S. Magentize is an awesome name for a power. I like Fuchsiaize, myself. :wink:

P.P.S. Ninja'ed by Unkind while I was pondering shades of pink.

UnkindMirror
Overlord
Overlord

Postby UnkindMirror » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:02 am

Taliesin wrote:P.P.S. Ninja'ed by Unkind while I was pondering shades of pink.

Best reason to get ninja'd ever.

Rodzilla
Partisan
Partisan

Postby Rodzilla » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:49 am

UnkindMirror wrote:Area effects can't take advantage of trade-offs because they don't have attack rolls.

<sigh> ... those pesky "Area" extras get me all the time... (get it?)

Prof.Dogg
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Prof.Dogg » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:33 am

Guy Gardner needs to have the Mobile Constructs power in his array reduced to 10 ranks to be consistant with the other powers and costs being reduced compared to Hal Jordan's. Otherwise, his total powers' PP costs should be higher.
Saving the world one NPC at a time...

Prof.Dogg
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Prof.Dogg » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:11 pm

Skeets (under Booster Gold) is off on his PP totals.

Should be Abilities 14 + Powers 89 + Advantages 7 + Skills 21 (42 ranks) + Defenses 15 = 146

Prof.Dogg
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Prof.Dogg » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:47 pm

Add 1 PP to Captain Comet's Power costs. The +1 PP for Mind over Matter being Dynamic wasn't added in (should be 56 PP).

pawsplay
Zealot
Zealot

Postby pawsplay » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:00 am

Harley Quinn is described as a psychiatrist... but with no ranks in Expertise: Science or Treatment, she would never have made it through medical school!
Kickstarter: Tripod Machine presents Do Not Approach (Super-powered by M&M)
http://writeups.org - a big and growing collection of dual-statted character writeups!

Saltcrow
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Saltcrow » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:14 am

pawsplay wrote:Harley Quinn is described as a psychiatrist... but with no ranks in Expertise: Science or Treatment, she would never have made it through medical school!

Apparently, in DC Universe, expertise in Psychology is an acceptable qualification to call oneself a psychiatrist. For those of you who don't want to google, psychology is more of a social science branch of study while psychiatry is a branch of Medicines. I know they're really rough distinction, but it works for me.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:49 am

There's a useful breakdown of the difference on Dr. Scott's blog as he again tackles the question of which Doctor Voodoo is. He has a pet theory that comic book writers have the distinction of "psychologist = generally good and benevolent, psychiatrist = generally evil or at least up to something".

Saltcrow
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Saltcrow » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:25 am

FuzzyBoots wrote:There's a useful breakdown of the difference on Dr. Scott's blog as he again tackles the question of which Doctor Voodoo is. He has a pet theory that comic book writers have the distinction of "psychologist = generally good and benevolent, psychiatrist = generally evil or at least up to something".

Hahaha that's just classic!

pawsplay
Zealot
Zealot

Postby pawsplay » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:38 am

Saltcrow wrote:
pawsplay wrote:Harley Quinn is described as a psychiatrist... but with no ranks in Expertise: Science or Treatment, she would never have made it through medical school!

Apparently, in DC Universe, expertise in Psychology is an acceptable qualification to call oneself a psychiatrist. For those of you who don't want to google, psychology is more of a social science branch of study while psychiatry is a branch of Medicines. I know they're really rough distinction, but it works for me.

The difference between a psychologist and a psychiatrist is that a psychologist has a PhD (or PsyD) and a psychiatrist has an MD. Psychiatrists should, indeed, have Expertise: Psychology, but they have to be qualified physicians, as well. EDIT: Significantly, that means that psychiatrists can prescribe medications, whereas psychologists generally can not (in some states, they can get a special certification to prescribe certain psychiatric medications only).
Kickstarter: Tripod Machine presents Do Not Approach (Super-powered by M&M)
http://writeups.org - a big and growing collection of dual-statted character writeups!

Saltcrow
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Saltcrow » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:24 pm

Thanks for the explanation, Pawsplay. I still can't get over FuzzyBoot's link though. Haha!

Return to “Errata”