GM Kit and Quickstart Character Generator

We all make mistakes. Here's where you can tell us about ours.
Shadowchaser
Cosmic Scion
Cosmic Scion

Re: GM Kit and Quickstart Character Generator

Postby Shadowchaser » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:02 pm

On page six, under construct powers, isn't there a problem with the math here?

Damaging Aura: Reaction Damage 6; Speed 4 (30 MPH) • 22 points

My math comes out to 28 points...
James Dawsey, Owner and Publisher of Vigilance Press

Look for Vigilance Press on RPGNow.com and Drive-Thru RPG!

Or check out our website for free previews and podcast links!
http://www.vigilancepress.com/

Jameson
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Jameson » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:10 am

Page 16 Gadgeteer Offensive Powers, Result 1-4 has the following
AE—Close Cone Area Dazzle 9;

Given that there is no Dazzle power in 3e this should probably be updated for those who may not know what the 2e Dazzle did.
Forty six and two are just ahead of me.

Read my M&M product reviews here

_Virtual_Adept_
Hireling
Hireling

Postby _Virtual_Adept_ » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:49 am

Jameson wrote:Page 16 Gadgeteer Offensive Powers, Result 1-4 has the following
AE—Close Cone Area Dazzle 9;

Given that there is no Dazzle power in 3e this should probably be updated for those who may not know what the 2e Dazzle did.

Page 103 of the Hero's Handbook.

Page 84 of the DC Adventures Hero's Handbook.

There is the Dazzle power.

Jameson
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Jameson » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:05 am

I sit corrected. Of course that'll teach me to think only in terms of effects ...

Taliesin
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Taliesin » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:48 pm

Davies wrote:I'm not sure if these qualify as errata or simple complaints, but I haven't seen them addressed yet. So.

Martial Artists: (page 18-19)

As described in this book, the only Martial Artist archetype who makes its Attack/Damage PL is the Mystic Endowment subtype, and then only if it has the Chi Master array. The Finesse & Control subtype ends up with +15 Attack bonus and a +3 Damage bonus, and the Strength & Power subtype ends up with +14 and +4, respectively. (Admittedly, these numbers might change if the character has access to a weapon from the Armed Fighter Background Advantages ... but I assume that if you're playing a Martial Artist, you want to be able to fight effectively unarmed, rather than being a cut-rate Weapon Master.)

Sorry that I only caught this now.

Most Martial Artist options will actually hit PL offensively. The non-Mystic martial artists both roll twice on Skills and will therefore end up with Close Combat: Unarmed 2 TWICE for a total of +4. Finesse and Control will have +17 attack / +3 damage and Strength and Power will have +16 attack / +4 damage unarmed.

Mystic Endowment only gets one skill roll for Close Combat: Unarmed 2 and a total of +14 attack but will usually hit PL in other ways.

While it is true that some archetype options do not hit PL (and almost certainly not in every respect), they are almost always very close and at least as capable as most of the pregenerated archetypes from the Hero's Handbook.

Nickoli
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Nickoli » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:07 pm

Shadowchaser wrote:On page six, under construct powers, isn't there a problem with the math here?

Damaging Aura: Reaction Damage 6; Speed 4 (30 MPH) • 22 points

My math comes out to 28 points...

I get a problem with the math here, too. Though I get considerably higher. It's because you have to include the Enhanced Advantages that come along with the Elemental Body power.

Enhanced Advantages 6 (Close Combat 6): 6 pts.
Reaction Damage 6: 24 pts. (6 pts. for 6 ranks of Damage and 18 pts. for 6 ranks of Reaction)
Speed 4: 4 pts.
Total pts: 34 pts.

Flying Cobra
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Flying Cobra » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:12 am

Re: Contruct- it should be Reaction Damage 3.

Flying Cobra
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Flying Cobra » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:42 pm

p.45- Weather Controller: the Dense Fog power should total 28 points, not 30.

Taliesin
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Taliesin » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:17 am

Flying Cobra wrote:p.45- Weather Controller: the Dense Fog power should total 28 points, not 30.

In this case, it was an example of an Alternate Effect not quite using up all the points in the array but not having an easy way to represent it on the random generator. I believe the original formatting instead indicated that the Array and its Dynamic Effects cost a total of 39 points, but in this case, you should just treat one of the other rolled up powers as the "base" effect.

Flying Cobra
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Flying Cobra » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:33 am

Taliesin wrote:In this case, it was an example of an Alternate Effect not quite using up all the points in the array but not having an easy way to represent it on the random generator. I believe the original formatting instead indicated that the Array and its Dynamic Effects cost a total of 39 points, but in this case, you should just treat one of the other rolled up powers as the "base" effect.

I figured as much, I just ran across it yesterday while rolling up a character and felt it needed to be pointed out in case newer players got confused by it.

Tailorpress
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Tailorpress » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:38 pm

Guys,
The whole concept of the Construct has to be redone. They count the abilities as being 34 points when actually it should be 64 points...Twenty coming from the two abilities that they have to build up from no ranks to having 0 ranks, as per the construct rules. On top of that they miscounted, and its 22 ranks in abilities, which ends up being 44 points spent....so it ends up being 30 points heavy, according to my figures.

UnkindMirror
Overlord
Overlord

Postby UnkindMirror » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:50 pm

Tailorpress wrote:Guys,
The whole concept of the Construct has to be redone. They count the abilities as being 34 points when actually it should be 64 points...Twenty coming from the two abilities that they have to build up from no ranks to having 0 ranks, as per the construct rules. On top of that they miscounted, and its 22 ranks in abilities, which ends up being 44 points spent....so it ends up being 30 points heavy, according to my figures.

The Construct pays full price for the Immunity (Fortitude), which covers that.

Normally, Constructs start Absent three Abilities, and get the Immunity for free in a zero-sum trade.
Here they pay for the Immunity in the powers block, and start all Abilities at 0. Then they discount the 10 points for Absent Stamina, and we're at the 34 points listed.

Jameson
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Jameson » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:43 am

Page 26 under the Powerhouse's "Offensive Powers II"

The Energy blast is listed as Damage 9 accurate 5, but I can't see anything that prevents it from being Damage 10 and the cost if the 10th rank is effectively already paid. Somebody please check my math but as I calculate it works out to 5 points for 9-10 ranks of effect and 5 points for flat extras.

UnkindMirror
Overlord
Overlord

Postby UnkindMirror » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:55 am

Jameson wrote:Page 26 under the Powerhouse's "Offensive Powers II"

The Energy blast is listed as Damage 9 accurate 5, but I can't see anything that prevents it from being Damage 10 and the cost if the 10th rank is effectively already paid. Somebody please check my math but as I calculate it works out to 5 points for 9-10 ranks of effect and 5 points for flat extras.

Yeah, looks that way.
Distracting Tiring Ranged Damage is 1 point per 2 ranks, which means 9 ranks cost the same as 10 ranks.

The Powerhouse has no other source of generic Ranged attack bonus and Ranged Combat: Throwing does not apply to Energy Blast, so the Accurate 5 would not break any caps in combination with a rank 10 effect, either.

Incidentally, now that I look at it, I find it disappointing that the Offensive Powers II section doesn't talk about Strength-Damage AEs.
Every Powerhouse has at least Strength 12, and there is no reason at all to shill out another 10 points for a standalone Footstomp/Groundstrike/Shockwave when those can all be had as a 1 point AE for Strength-Damage.

And if they're not a full Strength because Density/Growth/Activation block/Enhanced Strength isn't active at the time, then having a rank 10 effect like Groundstrike available doesn't make much sense, either, so that's not a good reason to waste those points for me.

freeclint
Cohort
Cohort

Postby freeclint » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:51 pm

Found something odd.
When you roll up a Shapechanger, with the Giant Size option, the saves don't work out to PL when he is at full size.
The +10 stamina boosts his Fortitude way too high.
In this case, the Abilities are Everyman (all 2's)
In Giant form he has Fort 18 and Will 8 which is 6 over caps.
Should the power include an Enhanced Defenses -6 (-6 Fortitude)? That would keep Fortitude at 12, and Will can remain 8.
Christian, husband, father and gamer.
My beginning character repository.

Return to “Errata”