GM Kit and Quickstart Character Generator

We all make mistakes. Here's where you can tell us about ours.
Taryble
Bystander
Bystander

Re: GM Kit and Quickstart Character Generator

Postby Taryble » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:37 pm

UnkindMirror wrote:
Jameson wrote:Page 26 under the Powerhouse's "Offensive Powers II"

The Energy blast is listed as Damage 9 accurate 5, but I can't see anything that prevents it from being Damage 10 and the cost if the 10th rank is effectively already paid. Somebody please check my math but as I calculate it works out to 5 points for 9-10 ranks of effect and 5 points for flat extras.

Yeah, looks that way.
Distracting Tiring Ranged Damage is 1 point per 2 ranks, which means 9 ranks cost the same as 10 ranks.

The Powerhouse has no other source of generic Ranged attack bonus and Ranged Combat: Throwing does not apply to Energy Blast, so the Accurate 5 would not break any caps in combination with a rank 10 effect, either.

I think the reason it's Rank 9 is to deal with the fact that all of the powers in Offensive Powers II are built as if they were the base power of an Array with 1 Alternate Effect. In which case, it should only be Rank 8.
Ranged Damage Distracting Tiring being on a 2:! buy, with 5 pts of Accurate, and 1 point for AE. That's 6 points spent on Accurate and having an AE, which leaves 4 points to spend on the ranks of the power.

Of course, looking at these powers like that, it seems like ALL of "Offensive Powers II" might have their ranks up too high, which I'm sure somebody would have caught before this.

darkwintre
Bystander
Bystander

Postby darkwintre » Sun May 13, 2012 10:38 am

Jameson wrote:
page 7 wrote:Unholy Strength and Vitality: Enhanced Strength 3; Enhanced Trait 5 (Close Attack 5); Impervious on 6 ranks of Protection; Leaping 3 (60 feet); Regeneration 2
• 22 points

Not sure if this is errata or if I am missing something but the bolded part, Impervious on 6 ranks of Protection, doesn't make sense because all of the Protection options under the defensive powers already have Impervious. Near as I can tell its 6 wasted points not matter how you roll it.

Edit: Also under the Construct the bar for Defenses on page 7 lists Fortitude as +0 but it should read "Immune"

Would this be better off as Impervious on 6 ranks of Toughness which would be worth 6pts?

darkwintre
Bystander
Bystander

Postby darkwintre » Sun May 13, 2012 10:57 am

Taryble wrote:
UnkindMirror wrote:
Jameson wrote:Page 26 under the Powerhouse's "Offensive Powers II"

The Energy blast is listed as Damage 9 accurate 5, but I can't see anything that prevents it from being Damage 10 and the cost if the 10th rank is effectively already paid. Somebody please check my math but as I calculate it works out to 5 points for 9-10 ranks of effect and 5 points for flat extras.

Yeah, looks that way.
Distracting Tiring Ranged Damage is 1 point per 2 ranks, which means 9 ranks cost the same as 10 ranks.

The Powerhouse has no other source of generic Ranged attack bonus and Ranged Combat: Throwing does not apply to Energy Blast, so the Accurate 5 would not break any caps in combination with a rank 10 effect, either.

I think the reason it's Rank 9 is to deal with the fact that all of the powers in Offensive Powers II are built as if they were the base power of an Array with 1 Alternate Effect. In which case, it should only be Rank 8.
Ranged Damage Distracting Tiring being on a 2:! buy, with 5 pts of Accurate, and 1 point for AE. That's 6 points spent on Accurate and having an AE, which leaves 4 points to spend on the ranks of the power.

Of course, looking at these powers like that, it seems like ALL of "Offensive Powers II" might have their ranks up too high, which I'm sure somebody would have caught before this.

Energy Blast: Ranged Damage means 2pts per rank with Distracting that drops to 1pt per rank and Tiring according to page 135 modifiers sections treats this as 2 ranks per 1pt in this power so that 5pts for 10 ranks and Accuracy 5 which adds afterwards as a flat modifier for a total of 10pts so yes it certainly does look like it should be at Rank 10, but since I'm a newbie can anyone explain why it doesn't?

Oh and the alternate effect is separate as the total power cost is 88pts and that would put the power cost at 87pts if included as part of the Energy Blast cost otherwise.

Ghost Matter
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Ghost Matter » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:30 am

Speedster has an issue with powers. There is one power point too much from an Alternate Effect. So, instead of giving 77 points for powers, it's 78.

Strength: 1
Stamina: 1
Agility: 5
Dexterity: 5
Fighting: 4
Intellect: 0
Awareness: 2
Presence: 2

Acrobatics: +9
Athletics: +9
Deception: +6
Expertise: ????: -
Insight: +2
Intimidation: +2
Investigation: -
Perception: +6
Persuasion: +2
Sleight of Hand: -
Stealth: +11
Technology: +6
Treatment: -
Vehicles: -

Dodge: 16/5
Parry: 15/4
Fortitude: 8
Toughness: 4/1
Will: 9

Initiative: +17
PP Spent: 150 PP (really is 151)
Power Level: 10

Advantages: Close Attack 2, Defensive Roll 3, Equipment 1, Improved Initiative 3

Hard Target
Enhanced Advantages: Enhanced Trait 6
Enhanced Defenses: Enhanced Trait 22
Hypersonic: Flight 14
Speedster Stunts
Disruption: Damage 9
Rapid Attack: Damage 6
Vertigo Attack: Cumulative Affliction 9

darkwintre
Bystander
Bystander

Postby darkwintre » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:13 am

Ghost Matter wrote:Speedster has an issue with powers. There is one power point too much from an Alternate Effect. So, instead of giving 77 points for powers, it's 78.

Hard Target
Enhanced Advantages: Enhanced Trait 6
Enhanced Defenses: Enhanced Trait 22
Hypersonic: Flight 14
Speedster Stunts
Disruption: Damage 9
Rapid Attack: Damage 6
Vertigo Attack: Cumulative Affliction 9

Actually you only get two speedster stunts, the first is the base that counts as 20pts the second which is either Rapid Attack or Vertigo Attack for 1pt BUT you can't have both without deducting a point from somewhere else.

As a side note have you decide whether the Penetrating attack is melee based?
You could change that to Penetrating Strength based Damage 9, Accurate 2 for no extra cost and add your character's strength to the damage done but I was wondering if you were visualising this attack as being sue to your character doing a flyby of the target at supersonis speeds?

darkwintre
Bystander
Bystander

Postby darkwintre » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:02 am

Shadowchaser wrote:On page six, under construct powers, isn't there a problem with the math here?
Damaging Aura: Reaction Damage 6; Speed 4 (30 MPH) • 22 points
My math comes out to 28 points...

Actually the Reaction advantage counts as +1 not +3 because its a free action so that 12pts for Reaction Damage 6 and 4 extra for Speed +4 for a total of 16pts with the Elemental Body listed above this table thats how it comes to a total of 22pts

darkwintre
Bystander
Bystander

Postby darkwintre » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:11 am

_Virtual_Adept_ wrote:
Jameson wrote:Page 16 Gadgeteer Offensive Powers, Result 1-4 has the following
AE—Close Cone Area Dazzle 9;

Given that there is no Dazzle power in 3e this should probably be updated for those who may not know what the 2e Dazzle did.

Page 103 of the Hero's Handbook.
Page 84 of the DC Adventures Hero's Handbook.
There is the Dazzle power.

Its described at the top of page 94.

Dazzle: Ranged Cumulative Affliction, Limited to One Sense at a cost of 2pts per rank.

However if you turn to page 14 of the gm kit and look at the alternate effects table on the bottom left hand side of that page they list Dazzle as an alternate effect for the Energy Controller.

Dazzle: Cumulative Ranged Affliction (Resisted by Dodge, Fortitude to remove; Impaired, Disabled, Debilitated), Limited to One Sense (Choose one sense: Vision or Auditory) which is also 2pts per rank.

The bit you mentioned;

Energy Projector Device: Array 18pts plus 3 points of Alternate effects with flaw Removable (-4pts)
*Ranged Damage 8, Accurate 2
*Ranged Affliction 8 (Resisted by Fortitude; Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated), Accurate 2
*Ranged Multi-attack Damage 5, Accurate 3
*Dazzle: Close Cone Area Cumulative Ranged Affliction 9 (Resisted by Dodge, Fortitude to remove; Impaired, Disabled, Debilitated), Limited to One Sense (Vision)

darkwintre
Bystander
Bystander

Postby darkwintre » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:25 am

Flying Cobra wrote:p.45- Weather Controller: the Dense Fog power should total 28 points, not 30.

Dense Fog: Visual (all) Concealment Attack, Burst Area (x4), Selective

Under the Hero's Handbook rules this does actually cost 28pts but under the DC Adventures version where the Concealment power on page 91 the Attack part of this power adds 1 to the cost of this per rank making it 32pts!

I was thinking maybe adding Environment: Impede Movement and maybe Cold both at 1pt each as this is Dense Fog we're talking about here, but Under the DC Adventures rules i was thinking some kind of Limited flaw such as if the target has some super sense or technology such as Radar or maybe even Danger Sense although you could easily just make the power useless against someone immune to weather effects... you know like Tempest?

Now that would deduct 1pt and put you back to 28pts then add the environment bit above to make it up to 30pts... what do you think?

darkwintre
Bystander
Bystander

Postby darkwintre » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:40 am

UnkindMirror wrote:
Tailorpress wrote:Guys,
The whole concept of the Construct has to be redone. They count the abilities as being 34 points when actually it should be 64 points...Twenty coming from the two abilities that they have to build up from no ranks to having 0 ranks, as per the construct rules. On top of that they miscounted, and its 22 ranks in abilities, which ends up being 44 points spent....so it ends up being 30 points heavy, according to my figures.

The Construct pays full price for the Immunity (Fortitude), which covers that.

Normally, Constructs start Absent three Abilities, and get the Immunity for free in a zero-sum trade.
Here they pay for the Immunity in the powers block, and start all Abilities at 0. Then they discount the 10 points for Absent Stamina, and we're at the 34 points listed.

Look at the bottom of Page 57 through to the top of Page 58 for the explanation on this, had me stumped for a while!

If you're using the Dc adventures Hero's Handbook this is on the bottom of Page 49 through to the top part of Page 50.

darkwintre
Bystander
Bystander

Postby darkwintre » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:05 am

freeclint wrote:Found something odd.
When you roll up a Shapechanger, with the Giant Size option, the saves don't work out to PL when he is at full size.
The +10 stamina boosts his Fortitude way too high.
In this case, the Abilities are Everyman (all 2's)
In Giant form he has Fort 18 and Will 8 which is 6 over caps.
Should the power include an Enhanced Defenses -6 (-6 Fortitude)? That would keep Fortitude at 12, and Will can remain 8.

Yes you know you could drop the 6pts for your Fortitude Defence and use them to boost the Protection to 5 which equal 1pt of protection per 2 ranks of Growth your character has in use drop the enhanced skill -1 and then add the last remaining pt to power lifting so it goes up to 4.
The protection increases the character's Toughness to +17 with both Dodge and Parry reduced to +3 that keeps it on the very limit for the series limit IF its PL10 though!

Strange would have thought for the enhanced skill penalty would be more than -1 per 5 ranks of growth?

darkwintre
Bystander
Bystander

Postby darkwintre » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:20 am

cassius335 wrote:
Davies wrote:
JonL wrote:As for Selective and Multiattack, if allows you to skip a character when spreading your attacks amongst multiple targets.

I would strongly request a note adding this fact to Multiattack for subsequent printings of the rulebook; as written, the rules only state that you have to take an attack penalty to hit multiple targets, not that you can't skip some without another Extra.

That you'd even need Selective surprises me too. It's Multi-Attack, not Area.

Multi-attack is fine when its focused on one opponent but when you're targetting multiple targets having Selective allow you the ability to pick and choose who you attack if say for example there are friendlies in the area you're passing through especially when you're not aware they're there in the first place.

Return to “Errata”