Post Freedom City Errata here

We all make mistakes. Here's where you can tell us about ours.
Elric
Overlord
Overlord

Post Freedom City Errata here

Postby Elric » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:36 pm

To quote Steve's guidelines from another thread:

Steve Kenson wrote:Errors and corrections for [this] sourcebook get posted in this thread. Note this is not a place to discuss, debate, or ask detailed questions about the book, just to note any errors or potential errors that need fixing!

3e Builds, 2e Builds, Index of 2e Official Rules Answers & General Resources (includes character creation and fight examples)

Elric
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Post Freedom City Errata here

Postby Elric » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:37 pm

Freedom City Errata:

Continuity with the Core Book Errata:
Given that Strike (Aura) has been errata’d to be more expensive in the core book (since you have to apply it to a Sustained Strike power) in accord with UP’s changes, presumably Freedom City characters should be modified accordingly.

I would say the best way to do this would be: In the case of characters with Strike Auras as APs of Blast, halve the ranks they have in Strike (Aura), changing the power to be Strike (Aura, Sustained) (at 4 pp/rank, compared to 2 pp/rank for Strike Aura before). In, the case of characters with Aura as a stand-alone power, I think it would be easier to keep the rank the same, add Sustained to the Strike power, and just change the character’s pp costs to reflect this change.

Characters with Strike (Aura) in an array: Gamma the Atom Smasher (also has permanent disease aura that the cost should be increased on), Hiroshima Shadow (also has permanent disease aura that the cost should be increased on), Talos

Characters with Strike (Aura) outside of an array: Ember, Pyre, White Knight

The same issues come up with:
Confuse: errata’d to cost 2 pp/rank in the core book, not 1 pp/rank
Pg 204, Lady Lunar: has Telepathy 12, at 24 pp, with an Alternate Power of Confuse 12 (Area- Burst), which would now cost 3 pp/rank by the core book errata, meaning that this should be Confuse 8 (Area- Burst) instead.

Selective Obscure (now an Extra, formerly a Power Feat): Rave (pg 216)

Second Chance
A few characters have Second Chance (Will saves vs. Mental powers) or just Second Chance (Will saves). Clearly this is broader than the feat was intended to be. It should probably get changed to Will saves vs. Mind Control, or something else appropriate—e.g., Lady Lunar has Second Chance (Will saves vs. mental damage).

Pg 101, The Meta Mind: has Second Chance (Will saves vs. Mental Powers).

Pg 128, Chase Atom: has Second Chance (Will saves).

Pg 167, Dybbuk: has Second Chance (Will saves vs. Mental powers).

Pg 182, Overshadow has Second Chance (Will saves).

Grapple & Size Rules Issue:
Let me copy some of my post on Dr. Simian from below, as it’s explained pretty clearly there:
Pg 147, Dr. Simian’s grapple modifier: He has +12 base attack (for +11 attack counting Size), +5 Strength mod, and Size Large. His Grapple modifier is listed as +20; +11 Attack (counting Size penalty), +5 Str, +4 from Size L

Steve’s answer to me viewtopic.php?t=26553 indicates that you shouldn’t count the Attack penalty from size even indirectly on grapple checks. In which case Simian’s grapple should be +21 (+12 Base Attack, +5 Str, +4 Size). I notice this is wrong in virtually every Freedom City character with Growth, which made me think this answer by Steve might be wrong, but I asked again by email and he said that answer is correct; Freedom City is wrong.

Errata:
Pg 35: Constantine Urallos: Listed PL should be 5, to account for his skill ranks.

Pg 36: Jonathan Grant: Listed PL should be 7, to account for his skill ranks/his total Will save including Mind Shield 7.

Pg 113, Bowman: pp total should be 149 given the numbers listed.

Pg 114, Captain Thunder: base Str should be 18. Also, Captain Thunder’s Powers are listed above his Skills and Feats, while the standard format has skills, then feats, then powers. This isn’t errata, but it should be fixed in the next printing if possible.

Pg 117, Johnny Rocket- pdf hasn’t been updated to correct that his Bluff should be +9, though it’s in the official errata.

Pg 118, Lady Liberty’s Deflect should be rank 7, since that level of Deflect is 3/rank. Powers should cost 73 pp total, not the 68 pp listed, bringing her total cost up to 180 pp.

Pg 121, Siren’s Knowledge: Life science should be +6.

Pg 122, Star Knight should have a +3 Cha modifier for 16 Cha. Diplomacy should be +7, Intimidate should be +9. Abilities should cost 18 pp.

Pg 125, Jack Wolf’s Blaster should be Device 2, his pp spent on powers should be 7, and his total pp should be 138.

Pg 126, Maximum Atom: Int modifier should be +2, Computers skill should be +6. His grapple should either be (+9 Base Attack, +12 Size, +15 Strength) = +36 Grapple fully grown.

Pg 128, Chase Atom: His Will save includes his Mind Shield power (based on how many pp he’s spent on saves), but there are Will save powers that aren’t mental effects, so doing this is clearly incorrect—I guess the stat block doesn’t have enough space for +8 (plus Mind Shield 6), in which case I’d just list the Will save without including anything for Mind Shield, as is done elsewhere in the book.

Pg 135, Nereid’s Toughness save seems to reflect her having Protection 6, but this isn’t listed. So she should have Protection 6 added to her powers section, raising the cost of powers to 52 pp and her total cost to 134 pp.

Pg 140, Foreshadow has no ranks in Notice, which is somewhat odd given his high wisdom, super-senses, and high ranks in Search and Sense Motive. If you want to errata this, adding 8 ranks of Notice, Notice 8 (+13), cost of skills goes up to 30 pp, and total cost goes up to 156 pp, would be appropriate.

Pg 145, Black Star’s entire “pp cost line” has been copied from Foreshadow. Abilities should cost 27 pp, not 46 pp. Skills should cost 13 pp (52 ranks). Feats should cost 8 pp, not 21 pp. His powers should cost 72 pp, not 5 pp. Combat should cost 32 pp, not 40 pp. Saves should cost 12 pp, not 14 pp. That adds up to 164 pp.

Pg 147, Dr. Simian’s grapple modifier: He has +12 base attack (for +11 attack counting Size), +5 Strength mod, and Size Large. His Grapple modifier is listed as +20; +11 Attack (counting Size penalty), +5 Str, +4 from Size L. However, this should be +21 (+12 Base Attack, +5 Str, +4 Size).

Simian’s abilities should cost 57 pp. His Growth gives +8 Str and +4 Con. That leaves him having purchased 3 Str, 5 Dex, 0 Con, 24 Int, 18 Wis, and 7 Cha, for 57 pp (it looks like you forgot that Growth adds to Con).

Pg 148, Dr. Stratos is missing the Flight power, though he’s clearly supposed to have it. I’d say something like Flight 4 or Flight 5 seems appropriate. Flight 4 would raise his cost of powers to 94 pp and his total cost to 208 pp.

Pg 156, Pyre’s Toughness save bonus includes 5 points of Protection (Impervious) that is Limited [to weapons that melt or burn]. I think this should be left out of his general statistics as it’s misleading to include it.

Pg 158, Talos’s Heavy Load is listed as 400 tons in the FC errata, but this hasn’t been updated.

His grapple should be +10 base attack, +4 Size, +15 Strength, +6 Super-Strength for a total of +35 grapple.

Pg 160, Scylla’s Charisma of 16 gives her a Charisma bonus of +3, not -3 as is listed.

Pg 164, Taurus’s Grapple modifier is wrong as listed at +34. It should be (+12 base attack, +12 Str, +4 Size, +4 Super-Str) for +32 total.

Pg 167, Dybbuk should have Knockback -12 for her Force Field.

Pg 170, Targette is way over the defensive caps for a PL character, having +5 Toughness, Absorption 10 (both types), and +15 Defense. This makes her a PL 15 (for defense/toughness). Either her PL should be 15 to reflect this or she wasn’t intended to be this powerful defensively and some of her defensive stats should be reduced (I’d say Defense, personally) to bring her PL closer (doesn’t have to be all the way) to 10.

Pg. 171 - Under the description for Furlough it says to use the Elite Thug stats on page 152 of Mutants and Masterminds. This seems to be left over from 1E. How about Thugs, pg 229 instead?

Pg 171, Get-Away has damage listed for Blast, though she has no Blast power. Presumably this is meant to be “Sonic Boom” instead.

Pg 174, Trap Door- should have +6 Will save, given Wisdom and pp spent on saves (Will save isn’t listed).

Trap Door’s powers should cost 40 pp; 12 for the Kineticstaff and 28 for the Teleport power: 9 ranks at 3 pp per rank (2 base + 2 Portal – 1 Limited), plus 1 pp for the Selective Power feat.

Pg 176, Professor Psion: In the second sentence of his description, change “built” to “build”.

Pg 178, Ember should have Blast 10 [Fire] as an AP of Fire Control (or Blast instead of Fire Control) to reflect her damage bonus listed. Steve seems to have forgotten when creating this character that Fire Control defaulted to element control, not a Blast power. Looking at the character, Blast [fire] as an AP of Fire Control probably makes more sense, as she’s described as being able to control fire.

Pg 185, Argo has the following listed in the errata, which hasn’t been updated to the pdf: Argo: His Powers total should be 417, and he should have 7 points of drawbacks, making his final point total 460 (although technically his point total is somewhat irrelevant, given that he’s a rank X Mimic).

Pg 194, Doc Otaku should be listed as having +15 damage from Growth, as Growth gives +2 Str per rank, so he’ll be up to 40 Str total (it seems like this calculation was done assuming Growth only gave +1 Str per rank).

Side notes: As Growth adds to Constitution, when it’s active Doc Otaku ends up with 26 Con (and the attack/defense penalties bring him to +18 Toughness and +2 Defense). If the MechOtaku battlesuit is permanently huge as opposed to having the ability to become huge on command, then its Growth should probably be Permanent.

Pg 197, Fear-Master has Attack Focus (ranged) 3, yet he doesn’t have a separate ranged attack bonus listed. He should have Attack +8 (melee), +11 (ranged)

Pg 199, Gamma the Atom Smasher’s Dexterity modifier should be +1.

Pg 201, Hades’ Concentration should be +23, Diplomacy should be +19, Gather Information should be +19, Intimidate should be +19, and Sense Motive should be +19.

Pg 203, Jack-a-Knives’ PL should be 11 due to his +10 Will save and Mind Shield 6. That’s not counting that technically he should be PL 20 due to his Perception Range Strike attack that activates when he leaves a host, but I can see why for aesthetic reasons one would prefer to avoid him having a higher PL than Omega.

Pg 206, Magpie’s grapple should be +21 (due to Grappling Finesse)

Pg 210, Meta Grue’s Grapple bonus at full Growth is wrong.
Here goes: When he’s fully grown, his Grapple bonus, depending on the Grappling Rules Issue above, should be either: +11 Base Attack, +14 Strength, +12 Size= +37, or (+11 attack counting size penalty, +14 Strength, +12 Size) = +33

Then on top of that Meta Grue has Elongation 9, which is elsewhere included by default in a character’s grapple bonus (e.g., Grab). So if you do that here both his non-grown and grown grapple bonuses should go up by 9.

For his Knockback, when fully Grown he has a +15 Toughness save for -7 Knockback and -12 from size. So his fully grown Knockback should be -19. When he’s not fully grown and doesn’t have his Force Field up, his Knockback is -4. It looks to me like you’re doing the regular knockback calculation as if he had his Forcefield up, in which case it’s -12 (for the rank 8 Impervious Force Field and +9 Toughness elsewhere).

Pg 218, Silver Scream: It seems like her Ghost Form itself should be permanent (not just the Insubstantial power within her Ghost Form container), given her description.

Pg 219, Star Khan, Grapple should be +34 (+18 melee attack, +10 Strength, +6 Super-Strength)

Pg 225, White Knight should have Blast 11 [Fire] as an AP of Fire Control (or Blast instead of Fire Control) to reflect his blast damage bonus listed. Steve seems to have forgotten when creating this character that Fire Control defaulted to element control, not a Blast power
3e Builds, 2e Builds, Index of 2e Official Rules Answers & General Resources (includes character creation and fight examples)

zinc1282
Bystander
Bystander

Postby zinc1282 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:54 am

In my copy of the book, Captain Thunder's powers are omitted. What are they?

Elric
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Elric » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:17 am

zinc1282 wrote:In my copy of the book, Captain Thunder's powers are omitted. What are they?

Welcome to the boards!

From my above post (this almost certainly applies to the book version, though I only have the pdf),

Pg 114, Captain Thunder: base Str should be 18. Also, Captain Thunder’s Powers are listed above his Skills and Feats, while the standard format has skills, then feats, then powers. This isn’t errata, but it should be fixed in the next printing if possible.

Return to “Errata”