Alternate Form issue

Discuss Lone Wolf's Hero Lab, the official licensed Mutants & Masterminds superhero creation and advancement tool.
JurneeJakes
Bystander
Bystander

Alternate Form issue

Postby JurneeJakes » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:04 pm

I'm trying to apply the Unreliable flaw to my alternate form, but such a thing isn't possible in HL. Would it be more accurate to just apply it to one of the Form's powers, or apply it separately to each one.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Alternate Form issue

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:04 pm

I believe that, in general, Flaws that apply to Alternate Forms turn into "flat flaws" or quirks. So if you can't always change form (or change back), it's worth 1 pp if done mechanically (50/50 chance) or a Complication if it's story-based ("You try to turn into Captain Stupendous, but your power ring's switch is jammed. Take a Hero Point.")

JurneeJakes
Bystander
Bystander

Postby JurneeJakes » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:34 am

So to apply that in HeroLab would be just to apply the flaw to a random power in the Form, I guess?

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:03 am

JurneeJakes wrote:So to apply that in HeroLab would be just to apply the flaw to a random power in the Form, I guess?

It should be applicable as something similar to the "Activation Quirk" that presumably already exists in 3E for Hero Lab (I'm primarily a 2E user, and am currently away from my computer where Hero Lab is installed). If it doesn't exist, the easiest way to handle it in the short term is to add it as a "Custom" quirk. In the long term, you could go into the editor and add it to the system.

The idea behind it being "worth" less on Alternate Form is that one generally raises the Alternate Form at the beginning of battle and keeps it there, so there's one roll to determine if it comes off. Compare that to one or more powers having Unreliable, where every time you try to use them, you have to roll to see if they're functional.

Return to “Hero Lab”